First W10 M build tried

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I finally decided to upgrade my 1520 to W 10 M. The upgrade was easy to get started but took over 2 hours to complete. I went to bed after it finished. This morning I started my phone and noticed that the speaker phone button did not work, and WiFi did not work "at All" and could not even see any signals in my area (Win 8.1 found more than 10). More than several apps would not open at all. Phone would freeze frequently. Phone dial pad would not let me enter any number till the first reboot then dial pad worked normally. Texting did work normally.
Lack of working WiFi was the deal breaker, how could I get any future phone updates with no WiFi?

I then decided to go back to Win 8.1. I downloaded the Windows Phone Recovery Tool and ran it and it failed every time I tried. I then did a hard reset which restored a clean install of Win 10 Mobile in which WiFi worked but nothing I had backed up would come back so I ran the recovery tool again and it did work suddenly. I was then able to get to Win 8 M and then to 8.1 and finally was back to where I was before the upgrade. Not a pleasant experience. I decided I will wait till the final version is released to upgrade again.

One more thing that is unusual is when i boot my phone after the NOKIA word at the beginning of the boot, the next thing on the screen in the blue Win 10 logo. then the phone boots into 8.1 as always. So something of Win 10 M still is in memory. Strange, Huh..:unhappysweat:

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
Yeah, this was my first foray too.

This stuff is buggy! Overall, I like the direction they are going, but I'm really not sure this OS is going to be ready by October/November unless they put in the overtime. Another possibility is that they'll smooth the OS for the 950 series launch and then launch the OS for other handsets by the end of the year.

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Even with all the problems I had, I really like W 10 M the layout is great and looks great, if it just worked! Its just going to be so nice when all the bugs are worked out but like you said Tempest 790, not sure it will be ready by November.

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I finally decided to upgrade my 1520 to W 10 M. The upgrade was easy to get started but took over 2 hours to complete. I went to bed after it finished. This morning I started my phone and noticed that the speaker phone button did not work, and WiFi did not work "at All" and could not even see any signals in my area (Win 8.1 found more than 10). More than several apps would not open at all. Phone would freeze frequently. Phone dial pad would not let me enter any number till the first reboot then dial pad worked normally. Texting did work normally.
Lack of working WiFi was the deal breaker, how could I get any future phone updates with no WiFi?

I then decided to go back to Win 8.1. I downloaded the Windows Phone Recovery Tool and ran it and it failed every time I tried. I then did a hard reset which restored a clean install of Win 10 Mobile in which WiFi worked but nothing I had backed up would come back so I ran the recovery tool again and it did work suddenly. I was then able to get to Win 8 M and then to 8.1 and finally was back to where I was before the upgrade. Not a pleasant experience. I decided I will wait till the final version is released to upgrade again.

One more thing that is unusual is when i boot my phone after the NOKIA word at the beginning of the boot, the next thing on the screen in the blue Win 10 logo. then the phone boots into 8.1 as always. So something of Win 10 M still is in memory. Strange, Huh..:unhappysweat:

Understandable. Unfortunately, some people's first experience with Windows 10 isn't a pleasant one. I will say that any build you do try in the future, always do a hard reset right after it's done. You'll of course lose everything you have, but it essentially reinstalls Windows 10 and the experience is a far better one than an in-place update, which always produces some issues with migration. It's sort of analogous to upgrading a desktop Windows 7 to 10 versus clean installing Windows 10.

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
It seams that something, somewhere definitely went wrong, you should give it a 2nd chance, format your device after update and give it a fresh start, it should works just fine...

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Understandable. Unfortunately, some people's first experience with Windows 10 isn't a pleasant one. I will say that any build you do try in the future, always do a hard reset right after it's done. You'll of course lose everything you have, but it essentially reinstalls Windows 10 and the experience is a far better one than an in-place update, which always produces some issues with migration. It's sort of analogous to upgrading a desktop Windows 7 to 10 versus clean installing Windows 10.
Interesting thought. I'll try that when it is released to everyone. I upgraded my laptop to Win 10 from 7 and had zero problems but my desktop not so much. In 7 the System File Checker found no problems but in 10 it found errors but couldn't fix them all. I did go back to Win 7 due to not being able to get the hack of Windows Media Center into Win 10 to setup and WMC is my DVR. Thank goodness I had created an image before the upgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss