My experience with 10536

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Been running the latest TP on a 640 and a 640XL for a couple of days now, and as a 'light' user of apps, things don't seem half bad.

I use mine for my business, and calls, text and email, all work fine for me. Got all my email accounts in outlook without any issues.

Battery life is good. Around the same discharge rate as 8.1.

Mobile data, on LTE, is rapid, wi-fi connected immediately and bluetooth had zero issues. Cortana is working well!

On a clean flash, I couldn't get the weather on the lock screen. There were options notifications etc, and it also had a weather option. When you choose the weather, all you get is text, which hangs over the edge of the screen. It's poorly aligned.

The ......loading.......message has reduced quite a bit over the time I've been using it. Store seems a little slow, and the search facility still throws random apps at you. There is still a split second delay when unlocking, as reported.

I 'dirty' flashed and clean flashed. I have to say, the migratory / dirty flash caused very few issues, and everything was ready to go, except the ringtones. Major pain the the ****. Going to try Nokia Tones and see what happens. Had issues like many on here with the ringtone folder.

I appreciate this is not a 'Techy' review, but as a phone, text, email phone, it's a good daily driver and starting to look like the real deal ( still a long way to go ). The apps I have downloaded work well. Here Maps and Drive are pretty quick at locating you. Maps is also very accurate!

So there you go. It isn't as involved as some reviews, but I've not long popped my WP cherry. After falling out with the 'open source' OS that manufacturers make 'Closed Source', and my utter hatred of Banana phone iOS, thought I'd give WP a chance. LOVE IT, especially as a business phone and not some continually rehashed fashion statement. How many times can Samdung re-invent the wheel?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Been running the latest TP on a 640 and a 640XL for a couple of days now, and as a 'light' user of apps, things don't seem half bad.

I use mine for my business, and calls, text and email, all work fine for me. Got all my email accounts in outlook without any issues.

Mobile data, on LTE, is rapid, wi-fi connected immediately and bluetooth had zero issues. Cortana is working well!

On a clean flash, I couldn't get the weather on the lock screen. There were options notifications etc, and it also had a weather option. When you choose the weather, all you get is text, which hangs over the edge of the screen. It's poorly aligned.

The ......loading.......message has reduced quite a bit over the time I've been using it. Store seems a little slow, and the search facility still throws random apps at you. There is still a split second delay when unlocking, as reported.

I 'dirty' flashed and clean flashed. I have to say, the migratory / dirty flash caused very few issues, and everything was ready to go, except the ringtones. Major pain the the ****. Going to try Nokia Tones and see what happens. Had issues like many on here with the ringtone folder.

I appreciate this is not a 'Techy' review, but as a phone, text, email phone, it's a good daily driver and starting to look like the real deal ( still a long way to go ). The apps I have downloaded work well. Here Maps and Drive are pretty quick at locating you. Maps is also very accurate!

So there you go. It isn't as involved as some reviews, but I've not long popped my WP cherry. After falling out with the 'open source' OS that manufacturers make 'Closed Source', and my utter hatred of Banana phone iOS, thought I'd give WP a chance. LOVE IT, especially as a business phone and not some continually rehashed fashion statement. How many times can Samdung re-invent the wheel?

I like it, and I have to agree with everything you said.
You have 10 Windows Phones...any to spare for me? Haha.

Luis Reis

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1520 and as I had said before, I was very skeptical about upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile. Only after read some positive comments about 10536 I decided to upgrade! The first upgrade was a Migration one and did not run well because I lost WIFI, so I used Recovery Tool and after that I made a Clean Fresh Upgrade, and I am happy now with the way my smartphone behaves. My main negative remark now is the size of text at Menus (like All Apps Listings) or inside Tiles. Scaling at Ease of Access only re-size Text inside Messages, Browser, Mail, not Menus! Hope MS correct this ASAPwp_ss_20150916_0001.jpg

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

I like your comments, performance wise the new build is very useable for everyday use. Althought there are a few graphic glitches, but overall the flow is really smooth.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I've been happy with pretty much every build since 10166, incremental improvements in stability and performance each time on my Lumia 925. A few minor gripes, but nothing that's a showstopper.

AccuWeather works with the lock screen BTW, I prefer MSN Weather as well but using AW for now until the lock screen feature is working.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I like it, and I have to agree with everything you said.
You have 10 Windows Phones...any to spare for me? Haha.

My kids have one each, and our drivers use them in the cars. Wife and I are XL users. Drivers use them as most fares don't know what they are, and the likely hood of them getting mugged is reduced, compared to when we ran Note 3's. Two got nicked! That's the thing with Droid and iOS, with droid you NEED a top end phone to run properly, and iPhones are magnets for those looking for a score.

Hence many WP. They are my dirty secret

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
My kids have one each, and our drivers use them in the cars. Wife and I are XL users. Drivers use them as most fares don't know what they are, and the likely hood of them getting mugged is reduced, compared to when we ran Note 3's. Two got nicked! That's the thing with Droid and iOS, with droid you NEED a top end phone to run properly, and iPhones are magnets for those looking for a score.

Hence many WP. They are my dirty secret
I'd rather have a Windows Phone anyways, eh?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I have a 1520 and as I had said before, I was very skeptical about upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile. Only after read some positive comments about 10536 I decided to upgrade! The first upgrade was a Migration one and did not run well because I lost WIFI, so I used Recovery Tool and after that I made a Clean Fresh Upgrade, and I am happy now with the way my smartphone behaves. My main negative remark now is the size of text at Menus (like All Apps Listings) or inside Tiles. Scaling at Ease of Access only re-size Text inside Messages, Browser, Mail, not Menus! Hope MS correct this ASAPView attachment 112436

Well on a larger screen text is supposed to be the exact same size as it would be on a 5 inch screen, no smaller or larger. It would only look smaller as it's on a larger screen.

Luis Reis

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I understand that, but the size is very small for my eyes. At 8.1 I had not this issue! With a lot of space at right, MS could increase text easily, at All Apps Listing!

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I understand that, but the size is very small for my eyes. At 8.1 I had not this issue! With a lot of space at right, MS could increase text easily, at All Apps Listing!

Have you tried increasing the text size in Settings? I've never had need to do it.
I'm just saying for me it makes far more sense to have the text that size, so you're utilizing the larger screen. It's the same size as on a smaller phone so you have a lot more UI on display. Samsung just started doing this with the Note 5 and S6 Edge +.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Right....update. I have been using the latest TP quite heavily today, and the small, but niggling bugs have become apparent.

Cortana must be hanging the washing out or something, because when requested, she / he takes an age to respond. Occasionally Cortana will get stubborn and refuses to post dictated texts.

Phone. Incoming calls work to a certain extent, except when you answer on Bluetooth. You end up talking to yourself because phone has put you on Non Bluetooth. You have to physically have to press Bluetooth to use it. When you Hang up with Bluetooth, phone goes into speaker mode.

Over the 24hours I've been out and about, my 640xl gets slow. I rebooted and all was good again.

Here maps worked flawlessly guiding me around North London today. Battery drain is acceptable

tut1234

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I have been using the new build on my L520 as my daily driver and its OK. But, just like you are seeing the bugs are showing up. Like text missing from start screen tile.
I was at a birthday party today and took out my L520 to take a photo, but the moment was gone before camera finally loaded. Its times like this that make me realize WP10 is not yet ready.
Hope a new build comes out Tuesday.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I have been using the new build on my L520 as my daily driver and its OK. But, just like you are seeing the bugs are showing up. Like text missing from start screen tile.
I was at a birthday party today and took out my L520 to take a photo, but the moment was gone before camera finally loaded. Its times like this that make me realize WP10 is not yet ready.
Hope a new build comes out Tuesday.
Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
Well the Lumia 520 has never had a fast camera.

Last edited:

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Forgot to mention edge is a phenomenal improvement over IE. Not bad as TP's go. Just slow. I'm fairly confident they will get there when it becomes more polished, and a little more device specific. Good effort though.

Asik15

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
After Patiently Observing those reviews posted here,

Last night Decided to Go through this build, and installed it,

Believe me, this build is very good, no frequent crashes, no lags Woah!! Who am i kidding this is So Cool Go for it guys dont Wait anymore :)

Store is acting good for now, at last build she was very bad anyways

P.s I did Upgrade directly From Windows phone 8.1 and i would recommend everyone to do the same

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
It's been running just fine with less crashes and faster navigation than the last build. The Start Screen still stutters when loading but it's not terrible. The Store seems to open a bit faster even if the splash screen glitch is still there. I think battery life is about the same as Windows Phone 8.1. Standby seems to be a little less. The Windows Feedback application got a refreshed design finally and it look mostly good except for the scrolling menus to choose categories/sub-categories which could use some work. Applications like Photos and Groove are coming along nicely. I can still see some potential navigational and gesture improvements to be made in a lot of applications. I can also see how the Skype Messaging Preview can be improved upon. Still waiting for a more fully-featured camera. I can't remember the name of the little application that is speculated to eventually replace the applications that are being discontinued it's like Photo Add-Ins or something like that. Also there could still be some better gestures for Volume and Action Center.

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Forgot to mention edge is a phenomenal improvement over IE. Not bad as TP's go. Just slow. I'm fairly confident they will get there when it becomes more polished, and a little more device specific. Good effort though.

Indeed, I think the biggest performance improvements will come when they release actual firmware updates for devices rather than just general OS upgrades. There's only so much you can polish in an OS without getting too hardware specific.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Indeed, I think the biggest performance improvements will come when they release actual firmware updates for devices rather than just general OS upgrades. There's only so much you can polish in an OS without getting too hardware specific.

I have mentioned before that as these were TP's. Device specific items etc, would only happen when the device firmware is released. I enjoy WM10, but my phone has been rolled back, and the others are still running 10, just to see how things pan out. After my 17 hour heavy use, the niggles really had me tied in knots. W10 is so much fresher, and 8.1 looks very dull when you go back, but I can't afford to lose potential fares. As a TP for light users, it's pretty much a no brainer!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven