The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-25-2016 04:35 PM
26 12
tools
    Hi all,

I think I have found a fix for the 0X80073CF9 error in the mobile store which has been bedeviling some of my apps in the newest Insider Preview, and will probably be an ongoing issue in the future. I managed to use this method successfully twice, although YMMV.

1. Try updating the app in the store's update page until you get the 0X80073CF9 error.

2. Cancel the update/download.

3. Search the app in the store and go directly to the app's page. It should then offer you the option again to update.

4. Update from the app's page. This "update" will probably be a different size than the one that was giving you the error.
    4a. Note, you may have to try this update more than once, and you may get a different error, but one that is fixable with a retry.

5. You should get a message that "this product is installed" and then the "update" button will change to "open"
    5a. The "open" button just doesn't open the app. I don't know why.

6. You should be able to open the app again from the app list/home screen. If not, soft reset and it should work then.

Again, ymmv but I got this to work twice. Not the best process, but certainly better than not having the apps (especially uber AND realarm in my case)!

EDIT: I am using a Lumia 1520 on ATT
    Last edited by Serpent1189; 09-18-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Spelling, Device
    09-18-2015 08:55 AM
    This didn't quite work for me - but something very similar did...

Steps 1 and 2 as above, Step 3 don't download, switch back to start, swipe to all apps, uninstall the offending app, switch back to store, app is probably already downloading - if not hit install.
    09-18-2015 10:08 AM
    Excellent! Uninstall was usually grayed-out for me before I discovered my solution, although I guess I had not tried it after canceling an update
    09-18-2015 10:51 AM
    I powered off the phone, turned it back, restarted the downloads, and that seems to have fixed it for me.
    09-18-2015 11:14 AM
    You are genius. Worked like a charm after following ur steps in exact order. One additional thing I had to do before all this, turn off automatically update my apps when i connect to wifi..
    Serpent1189 likes this.
    09-18-2015 11:50 AM
    1- close the Update from ( update page).
    2- delete the app from the main list.
    3- search for the app in the store.
    4- hit on FREE button and the app will start downloading .
    The new download contains the last updates.
    Hope this works fine with you.
    09-18-2015 12:57 PM
    1- close the Update from ( update page).
    2- delete the app from the main list.
    3- search for the app in the store.
    4- hit on FREE button and the app will start downloading .
    The new download contains the last updates.
    Hope this works fine with you.
    The more solutions the merrier! I was about to pull out what little hair I had left over this dumb issue, and no threads addressed it on mobile.
    09-18-2015 02:19 PM
    "One additional thing I had to do before all this, turn off automatically update my apps when i connect to wifi.. "

I didn't have to. I noticed that it seemed a little random - I'd get a bunch of apps to successfully update, and a few would get stuck, and then I'd power off and back on, and get more apps to install.
    09-21-2015 06:16 PM
    Worked for me! Wasn't looking forward to a factory reset.
    09-22-2015 04:51 PM
    thank you sir
    09-29-2015 03:25 AM
    Doesn'work for me. I'm unable also to uninstall, app is not in memory but only in list!!!!
    10-13-2015 03:45 AM
    Didn't work for me unfortunately.
    10-13-2015 03:28 PM
    What about error 80070006? I can't get past that one with your steps
    10-13-2015 04:06 PM
    Didn't work for me...
    10-13-2015 09:22 PM
    found another solution, when you can't update and you can't uninstall the app.
    1. cancel the download/update
    2. put your device in airplane mode
    3. restart your device
    4. now you should be able to uninstall the updating app
    5. after uninstall, turn down the airplane mode
    6. re download the complete app.
    11-25-2015 05:05 AM
    Sorry for coming in late here, but a new version of this problem just arose for me.

I had about 10 apps on my SD card, with a Lumia 735.

Just joined Preview W 10 mobile and got updated to 1511 .... 107.

Something weired happened to my SD card and all those apps. Tiles were all faded out - said there was not an SD card.

Have managed to delete most of the apps and re-install - to my phone as advised here, but the HERE suite of Maps, Drive and Transit refuse to be installed - cannot see either if they are on the phone anywhere.
    Have taken out my SD card completely until I get this solved.
    I also understand they are two different versions of the HERE suite and have chosen the right one.

Found a different error code last night 0x80242022.
    Any ideas ?

Seems like something still trying to load to an SD card.

Brian
    02-17-2016 03:11 AM
    Sorry for coming in late here, but a new version of this problem just arose for me.

I had about 10 apps on my SD card, with a Lumia 735.

Just joined Preview W 10 mobile and got updated to 1511 .... 107.

Something weired happened to my SD card and all those apps. Tiles were all faded out - said there was not an SD card.

Have managed to delete most of the apps and re-install - to my phone as advised here, but the HERE suite of Maps, Drive and Transit refuse to be installed - cannot see either if they are on the phone anywhere.
    Have taken out my SD card completely until I get this solved.
    I also understand they are two different versions of the HERE suite and have chosen the right one.

Found a different error code last night 0x80242022.
    Any ideas ?

Seems like something still trying to load to an SD card.

Brian
    Extract sd card, check it via laptop sd card reader (not fast check), install apps on phone memory and later move some of them on sd card (only the ones system permits to)
    02-17-2016 03:17 AM
    Hi Maurizio, Yes did all that - actually formated the SD to start all over.

Memory of HERE suite appears to be somewhere in phone/Store, apps will neither update or new install.

All 3 are in the Store update queue an give back fault code 0x80242022 - can I somehow cancel the queue in the Store ?

Brian
    02-17-2016 04:07 AM
    Sometimes, I face this problem in Wi-Fi. That time i turn my cellular data on and install/update by using mobile data and it works fine. But i'm worried, This problem also may appear Windows 8/10 PC. In that case, You may need to just reset windows store.
    04-21-2016 04:22 PM
    what if the app giving error is built in OS, like groove music. we cant uninstall it!!!
    04-24-2016 04:31 AM
    groove music is the error prone here, we cant uninstall it. any solution???
    04-24-2016 04:33 AM
    Got any idea to solve this problem?
    06-07-2016 06:41 AM
    but I have this problem on only one app which is a system app, ie. Equaliser (no insider preview)
    06-15-2016 09:53 PM
    I found a solution... I can't believe I didn't try this earlier.

I had the same problem and I tried all the options in this thread with the apps that allowed me to uninstall (News, Feedback Hub, etc) and worked, but I couldn't uninstall some of them because they were system apps (Groove, Camera, etc). There was only one app not giving me error 0X80073CF9, and that was Whatsapp. It said it needed to override the setting to install apps on SD card and after I accepted that, it'd give me the same error again.

I changed the setting to make all new apps to install in This Device (instead of SD Card), and tried installing Whatsapp. It did. So after that, I just tried installing all the other ones. I just hit Check for Updates and hit Update All and they all installed with no problem.

I think my problem was that all the ones that were left behind, with the error, were apps that needed to be in the phone's memory (all the other ones I could update using the steps above). I guess this build could have a problem overriding that setting or something... but after a couple of days trying different options and weighing the possibility of hard resetting the phone... I can say the solution was pretty simple.
    08-24-2016 05:01 PM
    For anyone who is still not able to solve this: I found what must be the most un-intuitive solution on Microsoft's site, and it actually worked for me (when none of the above solutions did): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...pps-from-store

Here are the steps:

On your phone
    Check that your phone is set to the correct date and time.
    Select Settings > Time and language > Date+time (Lumia with Windows Phone 8: Settings > date+time).
    Turn Set date and time automatically to Off, and manually set the current date, time and zone.
    Sync your Microsoft account manually and check its status.
    Select People > ... > Settings, tap and hold your Microsoft (Outlook) account and select Synchronize (Lumia with Windows Phone 8: Settings > email+accounts, tap and hold Microsoft (Windows Live) account and select sync).
    Wait your phone to sync and then continue to the next step. If you get an error, use your browser and try searching online to find a support article for the error code.
    Go to Store and check if any app or game remains in the downloading phase without finishing, cancel all the pending downloads, restart your phone and then manually check for app or game update from Store. We recommend that you keep your phone connected to a charger and WiFi network when checking for app updates.

Select Store > Menu > Download and updates (Lumia with Windows Phone 8: Store > ... > downloads), or tap the icon that shows a count of the pending downloads.
    If any of them indicates an error, see the details, then tap on it for more details. To delete an app from the queue, tap on the app and tap X to stop the download and remove it from the queue. Lumia with Windows Phone 8: If any of them indicates Attention required, tap on it for more details. To delete an app from the queue, tap and hold it, then select cancel download.
    Lumia with Windows 10: Make sure your phone doesn’t have a software update pending by going to Settings > Update & security > Phone update.
    Restart your phone and start the manual check for app updates. Go to Store > Menu > Download and updates (Lumia with Windows Phone 8: Store > … > settings, tap check for updates). At the bottom of the screen you will see Check for updates. After checking for updates, select Update all from the top of the screen.
    Keep your phone connected to a charger and WiFi network and leave it untouched while it’s attempting to download the app updates.
    08-30-2016 10:08 AM
26 12