Device locked with no option to open! Tells to connect to power source.

Sarveshwar

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Today morning, my Lumia got fully discharged. So, I connected it to the wall outlet and the screen showed NOKIA logo, then the large battery and then switched off. Again same thing happened. I then plugged in my phone to the laptop but the same thing was repeated. I left the phone connected to the laptop. After about half an hour, I double tapped the screen and it had charged but after I entered the PIN correctly, a note appeared that read "This device has been locked for security reasons. Connect your device to a power source for at least two hours, then try again".

wp_ss_20150919_0002.png

I could access only notification centre by swiping down and everything worked there like flight mode, bluetooth etc. I was able to save screenshots. I could receive a call too. I am not sure why this happened. Does anyone have any idea?

wp_ss_20150919_0003.png

I then left my phone for over two hours connected to power source but nothing happened. It would still not unlock.

Then I headed over to the Microsoft website and locked my device from my account with a 6 digit PIN. Then, I was able to unlock the phone using that PIN.

By the way, I am using Windows 10 Mobile 10536.1004. If anyone faces the issue, you already have the solution. :)

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I've hit the same issue today. Unlike you, my phone hadn't run out of batteries - I'd been using it OK and put it on a wireless charger for a top up, but when I came back to it, it showed the "locked for security reasons" page you show.

Sadly I can't get the trick you used to work as the "find my phone" site, which I assume is where you put in the 6 digit lock code, doesn't seem to be able to contact my phone. Worryingly, the site doesn't seem to show any historical location for my phone, so it looks like I never enable "find my phone" (which, TBH I'd have assumed would have been on by default).

It would be nice to think there is an alternate fix which doesn't involve a full recovery, but maybe that's being too optimistic!

Sarveshwar

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I've hit the same issue today. Unlike you, my phone hadn't run out of batteries - I'd been using it OK and put it on a wireless charger for a top up, but when I came back to it, it showed the "locked for security reasons" page you show.

Sadly I can't get the trick you used to work as the "find my phone" site, which I assume is where you put in the 6 digit lock code, doesn't seem to be able to contact my phone. Worryingly, the site doesn't seem to show any historical location for my phone, so it looks like I never enable "find my phone" (which, TBH I'd have assumed would have been on by default).

It would be nice to think there is an alternate fix which doesn't involve a full recovery, but maybe that's being too optimistic!

Sometimes, it does not show the location in the first attempt. Assuming that you have tried multiple times while keeping the phone connected to the internet and not in flight/airplane mode, I can't think of any other solution. Yes, it would be a cumbersome process to reset/flash your phone. A tweet to the guys at Microsoft may help.

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
In the end, after several soft reboots, I ended up just leaving the phone overnight on my wireless charger. In the morning, it was still locked, but then after another soft reboot it seems to be fine.... for now, at least!

Having got it up and running again and setting the "find my phone" option on the phone to report in more often, that also seems to be working. Fingers crossed I won't see this again, but if I do, maybe I'll have a better chance of fixing it using your method.

It does make you wonder what has caused the problem, though - a suspicious person could think that the phone needs to do some kind of "contact base" otherwise it locks, but I don't believe it was being locked by, say, my work's activesync policies.

cobalt233

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
starting yesterday, my 950 XL is now constantly getting locked like this and I have had to reinstall the OS several times now with the recovery tool as it simply would not unlock. What a ridiculous feature

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
starting yesterday, my 950 xl is now constantly getting locked like this and i have had to reinstall the os several times now with the recovery tool as it simply would not unlock. What a ridiculous feature

Can you reinstall OS when a phone is locked?

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Old thread, I know, but something crossed my mind and I wanted to throw it out there. For those of you who are getting your phones locked in this manner; do you have your phone set to require a pin or other method of authentication to unlock the main lock screen? And do you have the double-tap to awaken feature enabled?

Reason I'm asking is I thought that maybe the phone might be getting woken up and requesting a login method that returned some input that it at least accepted as a login attempt and not a time-out back to the sleep state. Too many of these failed logins might result in the phone locking itself for security reasons. Not sure just how sensitive the phone may be in someone's pocket or wherever, but this might cause this situation to happen.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
This just happened to me today, though it has been close many times before that (I have had to key in the A1B2C3) code more than once lately.

If this happens, one problem is that the lock might not be able to find your phone to do the unlock fix as described above. This seems to be the case if you follow the instructions on the screen to wait two hours and then restart your phone. According to the link below anyway, doing that might cause you to have to do a full reset.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/950-xl/d73f64c9-3d05-4547-9d44-f4ca0f6de50e

I seem to be in that boat now.

OlavUS

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Brilliant! If you get the "plug in phone for two hours and restart" just go to the Microsoft phone recovery page and lock your phone remotely with a pine. Once you lock the phone and then unlock it with that code all is fixed.

Nokia Icon Windows 10 mobile.

Neil59178

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
I was out for a long bike ride today in the desert and my phone was in my pack. I can't tell you how bad this feature is. The plan was for me to spit out next to a road and call friends for a ride. Pulled my phone out of my pack to find it locked this way. In this circumstance it was more than inconvenient, it really sucked. As I worked my way out (12 extra miles of riding with little water left). I don't know what security geek came up with this but I could choke them tonight. Not being able to turn this off may make me abandon the windows platform for good. I've lived with the app gap and like a lot of things about what windows does but this might be the last straw.:angry:

Neil59178

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
I am replying to my own post so it will be more than a rant. Will removing your 'lock' / security features from the phone prevent this from happening?

yarchlrl

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
log into Microsoft account,devices, your phone, RING MY PHONE, wait until it rings, LOCK MY PHONE, follow the steps, enter a 6 pin, go to the phone, enter 6 pin, all done.

HCZoner

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
On vacation out of normal area and ran down power (hey I'm on vacation). I had a 4-number security PIN already but same problem over and over.
This solution worked when changed to 6 PIN security code. What a horrible feature IMO.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
On vacation out of normal area and ran down power (hey I'm on vacation). I had a 4-number security PIN already but same problem over and over.
This solution worked when changed to 6 PIN security code. What a horrible feature IMO.

It helps you protect your device if stolen....

707wpfan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
950 just started doing this.
Microsoft again, as usual just wants me to do another "hard reset" its their only solution to problems with this phone.
They need to address this issue, hundreds of ppl have had this issue now according to their community pages.
With the low WP sales that's a high %

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
950 just started doing this.
Microsoft again, as usual just wants me to do another "hard reset" its their only solution to problems with this phone.
They need to address this issue, hundreds of ppl have had this issue now according to their community pages.
With the low WP sales that's a high %

Do you unlocked your phone via pc connecting to your microsoft account?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05