Lumia 640 on Win10 as a daily driver

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
So i upgraded to Windows 10 two days ago, my primary and only device is my Lumia 640, and i'm using it as my daily driver. I'm in the slow ring, pretty much reasonable for this is my only device. So far so good. Few things that bother me, like, i don't know how to call it, 'ghost notifications', i get the notification icon on the top of the screen and also on the lock screen even tough there really isn't any notifications.

Action center is rather than slow, most of the times i have to swipe twice to get it opened, but i'm ready to sacriface the speed in favour of those 16 shortcuts.

Loading screen is practicly everywhere, but it takes like a sec to disappear.

I'm loving the new look. Perhaps the greatest thing about the look is ability to add a background picture and set the transparency, and also having it on both 'screens' is amazing, it makes huge difference in compared to 8.1, searching thru my apps has never been more beautiful.

I'd kinda like that Lumia camera opens a bit faster, but as long as it doesn't affect the picture quality i'm fine with it.

It would be pretty cool if MS would give us few new effects to Lumia selfie and make them real-time.

Another awesome thing is this new keyboard, i don't if this is a placebo effect but i find this new one a bit more responsive and easier to use, except the erase button which doesn't work from time to time.

I would like if they could give us a brightness slider instead of those 3 standard setups.

Now, for me, the greatest thing, the one that kept me from flashing back to 8.1 is the new music app, Groove Music. Man it's great, just great, awesome, cool! So much easier and more friendly to use. Much easier to control your playback, select songs, no more random opening music store, and no more ugliness. It doesn't load all my songs at once from time to time, and the biggest downside js that all the possible audio recordings al listed in there, so all your system sounds are there but you can't pla them, and then the whole music stops and then you freak out.

Battery life is significiantly reduced since 8.1, but, i can still make it thru one day.

So all in all it is a great OS for a TP, and i'm looking forward to the final release.

P.S. I've ditched the 8.1, not going back there ever again, gonna stay as insider maybe even after the final release, we'll see. What i wanna say is that i think it's mature enough to be you daily driver.

If you have any questions hit the replies, i know there are few of you who wants to install this preview but hesitate, like i did.

UPDATE 24.09.

After I've done the hard reset many of the lags have disappeared, such as action center lag, swipe between all apps and start. Some of them remained, such as dealy while unlocking the phone.

I have to mention that somehow the push notifications have broke down, not receiving notifications for Messenger, messaging etc.
Store opens much faster now, almost without delay, download speeds apparently increased.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
i get the notification icon on the top of the screen and also on the lock screen even tough there really isn't any notifications.
No such issues on my 930

Action center is rather than slow, most of the times i have to swipe twice to get it opened, but i'm ready to sacriface the speed in favour of those 16 shortcuts.
Slow?!? I guess you should format your phone and give it a fresh start, for me action center works as it is supposed to work, Ok maybe it will looks nicer if they add some transparency to it but when it comes to seep and functionality I'll give 10 of 10, now we just need that devlopers of 3rd party apps add support for answering on notifications straight from it without need to open app, just like with native messaging app currently..

Loading screen is practicly everywhere, but it takes like a sec to disappear.
Not a single loading issue and I'm on the build 536 since the day one, as a matter of fact I think I got it once after boot up but it was really, really short, like a second or two ...

I'm loving the new look. Perhaps the greatest thing about the look is ability to add a background picture and set the transparency, and also having it on both 'screens' is amazing, it makes huge difference in compared to 8.1, searching thru my apps has never been more beautiful.
It is indeed pleasure to touch and to look at and to make it even better they keep older options alive so you have three diffrent modes to choose from...

I'd kinda like that Lumia camera opens a bit faster, but as long as it doesn't affect the picture quality i'm fine with it.
It is a bit slower on saving and saving photos but that's something I can live with :)

It would be pretty cool if MS would give us few new effects to Lumia selfie and make them real-time.
Not using it at all so...

Another awesome thing is this new keyboard, i don't if this is a placebo effect but i find this new one a bit more responsive and easier to use, except the erase button which doesn't work from time to time.
It is significantly improved comparing it to 8.1 and it is definitely more responsive and accurate than with some previous builds...

I would like if they could give us a brightness slider instead of those 3 standard setups.
Actually I'm quite satisfied with option to quickly change among those three modes from action center than to move sliders every time I want to change brightness, but to be honest I prefer to keep it in automatic mode anyway so it is not that important to me...

Now, for me, the greatest thing, the one that kept me from flashing back to 8.1 is the new music app, Groove Music. Man it's great, just great, awesome, cool! So much easier and more friendly to use. Much easier to control your playback, select songs, no more random opening music store, and no more ugliness. It doesn't load all my songs at once from time to time, and the biggest downside js that all the possible audio recordings al listed in there, so all your system sounds are there but you can't pla them, and then the whole music stops and then you freak out.
Quite opposite experience here, I had so much problem with it on the previous build that I switched to some 3rd party folder based player, didn't even tested it on new build, maybe I should give it a try...

Battery life is significiantly reduced since 8.1, but, i can still make it thru one day.
Try to disable location services, it radically increase batter performance on my 930

So all in all it is a great OS for a TP, and i'm looking forward to the final release.
Agree :D

P.S. I've ditched the 8.1, not going back there ever again, gonna stay as insider maybe even after the final release, we'll see. What i wanna say is that i think it's mature enough to be you daily driver.
It is, I would suggest to anyone with proper hardware to switch to ....

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Pls inform me when build 10536 available for slow insider members.

Sure thing bro.

E pa Teo 930 je daleko bolji telefon 640 :d
I agree with you, this OS 'slowlyness' may be caused for not beeing a fresh installment. Gonna do a hard reset tonight and i'll update my first post if there's any improvments.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
For my money Windows 8.1, Update 2 is still a better solution than the TP. Whaaaaaaat?

For starters, it's stable. Everything works. I don't have to worry about doing a factory reset and wiping all of my data just to get a clean build. It's a necessary evil but this is m daily runner and I need it to work.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
For my money Windows 8.1, Update 2 is still a better solution than the TP. Whaaaaaaat?

For starters, it's stable. Everything works. I don't have to worry about doing a factory reset and wiping all of my data just to get a clean build. It's a necessary evil but this is m daily runner and I need it to work.

Well you don't have to do a hard reset after every build, it's optional. I used the TP for around three days without doing a hard reset and it was more than usable, as a matter fact, hard reset just speeded it up a but, like 10%.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Well you don't have to do a hard reset after every build, it's optional. I used the TP for around three days without doing a hard reset and it was more than usable, as a matter fact, hard reset just speeded it up a but, like 10%.

Microsoft even recommends doing a hard reset and starting from scratch after upgrading to the technical preview. It's not only good for a performance aspect, it's good housekeeping. I think Windows 10 is going to be good overall, but it looks and feels like an unfinished product (it is) and requires some more fine tuning before we can honestly call this a daily driver. They are almost there though. I can't complain too much.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
My 640XL runs the latest build, 10536, with pretty much zero problems at all. You're doing W10M a disservice by not trying it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon