I've had w10 mobile before, is it time to try again?

vdamir78

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I had w10 mobile back in march, with a lot of bugs and my lumia 730 could barely work properly under it.
How different is it now, and is win10phone ready for everyday use in your opinion?

Additionally,
I need my phone to be able to do this:

1. Assign custom ringtones (I know sounds silly, but w10 couldn't do this 6 months ago)
2. I need to be able to turn off apps such as Viber (on win 8.1. I accomplished this using battery saver, turning off viber from working in background - making it impossible for someone to call me over viber, to get viber messages, unless I intentionally opened the app. When viber was/is closed, it doesn't work in the background at all)
3. I need to be able to turn off/on notifications for individual apps (in w8.1 I have notifications turned off for about 30% of my apps)
4. Call/SMS filter that works when turned on.

Does win10phone make these possible now, especially if you are lumia 730 user?
Thanks

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I had w10 mobile back in march, with a lot of bugs and my lumia 730 could barely work properly under it.
How different is it now, and is win10phone ready for everyday use in your opinion?

Additionally,
I need my phone to be able to do this:

1. Assign custom ringtones (I know sounds silly, but w10 couldn't do this 6 months ago)
2. I need to be able to turn off apps such as Viber (on win 8.1. I accomplished this using battery saver, turning off viber from working in background - making it impossible for someone to call me over viber, to get viber messages, unless I intentionally opened the app. When viber was/is closed, it doesn't work in the background at all)
3. I need to be able to turn off/on notifications for individual apps (in w8.1 I have notifications turned off for about 30% of my apps)
4. Call/SMS filter that works when turned on.

Does win10phone make these possible now, especially if you are lumia 730 user?
Thanks

1.Cant be done
2.You can turn off the entire app only, just as you said.
3.Think it can't be done, hadn't really tried.
4.Never used this feature before

All in all, the OS has significantly improved since April? So yes, Id recommend going for the slow ring.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Yea,the earlier builds were really buggy and unusable.It is very stable now on 10536,at least on my 640.The list you have are all now working,except custom ringtones.I don't use custom ringtones myself,but I have read about some workarounds on this forum to get around the problem.

I say you should update to 10,the only minor issues I have are no notifications for the store(all others work) and sometimes apps crash(rarely),Some apps are slower with loading issues.You can control background apps also which for me is important for preserving the battery,which typically lasts around 24hrs on a full charge

Call and and smd filter I don't know about
Notifications can be turned on and off

There's a setting called background apps which allows you to toggle on/off background apps.This is outside of battery saver

If you want the most stable build go on the fast ring

Last edited:

vdamir78

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
By assigning ringtones I meant assigning specific ringtones for individual phone contacts, for example one mp3 file for my girlfriend, another for some family members, another for coworkers, and stll have the default sound for other contacts... That wasnt possible in april...

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
By assigning ringtones I meant assigning specific ringtones for individual phone contacts, for example one mp3 file for my girlfriend, another for some family members, another for coworkers, and stll have the default sound for other contacts... That wasnt possible in april...

If you go into people and long press a contact, you can select edit and choose a ringtone or alert for that contact,so yea that works.just checked it

vdamir78

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I found a major issue:
first I didn't have viber in the background apps list. So I figured to reinstall Viber and see if it would come up in the background apps list. When I tried that I always get a message that it cannot be installed on an SD card, as Viber now doesn't allow its app to be installed on SD cards... So I changed that, but it still wanted to be installed to the card. I then removed the card and tried installing Viber again, but it still wanted to install on the SD card even though the card was out.
I then tried installing some other random apps... no luck... If I don't have SD card in my phone, I am not able to install app, no matter I changed the setting that makes apps to install to phone by default.
So at this moment, I can put the SD card in, but I won't be able to install apps that require to be installed on the phone memory, such as Viber... Any workaround with this?

saywow

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
1.Cant be done
2.You can turn off the entire app only, just as you said.
3.Think it can't be done, hadn't really tried.
4.Never used this feature before

All in all, the OS has significantly improved since April? So yes, Id recommend going for the slow ring.

my answers are based on the last build for the fast insiders (10536) installed on my lumia 625

1)Didn't try this
2)yes it's possible
3)yes you can turn off notifications for some apps (in my case they show me 4 apps : insider hub, Messages , whatsapp , phone : I think these are the only one who have the right to push notifications)
4)just tried it for you it dosn't seem to be working , when i long press a contact and try to add it to the black list the app crashs

vdamir78

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
So how do you turn off apps?
However, as I am unable to reinstall Viber, even if turning apps off works, I'd have to "practice" this on an app other than Viber.

saywow

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't use viber but i've tried it for you it takes time to download and longer time for installing but it seems to be working (opened it but didn't enter my number)
i usually use messenger, whatsapp and skype instead.

vdamir78

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
this sounds silly: but after trying to install it a few times, it finally worked.
however, the background app thing does not prevent Viber from working...

tut1234

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

The mp3 file genre gets removed. Make the genre "ringtone" and the phone will see it. you will need to do this from a PC and copy it over. I gave up on 10536 as a daily driver, too slow and after a week or so, is unstable. But that's me.
Beware, if you run into a problem, the recommendation will be for you to do a hard reset. A hard reset may or may not be needed on your device. Depends on the problem. Good luck.

saywow

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't know about that , did you disable viber in both notifications center & background apps manager? and did you close viber (long press on the back button and close viber)

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I'd stay away. I traveled this weekend and the phone was just too unreliable. It seems like location being on will cause the phone to not respond correctly, you couldn't open apps or they crashed. It could be the radios in general, like its trying so hard to get a connection you can't do much else. Even right after a soft reset the phone behaved badly. It seemed to lock up plugging it in with low battery. This was even from a hard reset install. Bluetooth with my car failed to play any audio, speech or music.

It was so bad i put 8.1 back before my drive home. Eight hours in a car and you really want the phone to work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa