Back on 8.1...

anon(5530345)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
What took you so long? I struggled with WP10 on my 930 for a couple of weeks until the ability to not refresh the calendar drove me mad and I went back to 8.1. What a sigh of relief. I'm sure everything will come together when it's time. I just couldn't take the pain any longer.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Tend to disagree...

tend to disagree, the home screen is greatly improved with numerous customization options, maybe it still isn't as smooth as on 8.1 but you can't say that it is better on 8.1

There is no lagging, it was the previous build issue and is fixed now..

What about?

This is greatly improved, one of the best parts of the new OS, you can attach nearly everything and you can even choose what is preferred app for attaching, it is up to you to choose while you for example attach photo through photo app, file manager or something else...

can't really complain about speed, but I'm using 930 and it could be hardware related...

What's wrong with keyboard? It is also improved and not having single problem with...

Yeah, you are right but it will be improved for sure, don't forget this is not the full backed product, just a technical preview with lot of bugs here and there and plenty of room for improvements and further optimizations...

Not having a single problem with any of mentioned apps, as a matter of fact I really like them both, the new Outlook especially, after the recent update that brought dark theme support it is awesome app that is pleasure to touch and to look at...

It works, need some speed improvements, proper history but it works fine more or less

After the recent updates it started to work properly and now I have no any complain about...

Without problem

Ya, for you maybe. I've had lock screen lag, backups not working automatically, apps failing to launch from Start, hell it even refused to check my pin at one point, even if i went past the number of digits my pin was, i couldn't get it to unlock, had to reset it. It was completely unreliable, and i've had to go back to 8.1. Its nice things are working for you, but stop with this BS that everythings fine. Its not, you're just lucky.

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Its nice things are working for you, but stop with this BS that everythings fine. Its not, you're just lucky.

Well, if U ask me it is, but you're just unlucky so please stop with this BS that everything is bad because it is not, I'm quite satisfied with latest build as it is running pretty well on both of my phones without any serious issue, some minor problems with couple of 3rd party apps and not so great battery life but that's something I can live with...

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, if U ask me it is, but you're just unlucky so please stop with this BS that everything is bad because it is not, I'm quite satisfied with latest build as it is running pretty well on both of my phones without any serious issue, some minor problems with couple of 3rd party apps and not so great battery life but that's something I can live with...

Go spend some time reading these forums. The problems with the latest build are not rare, and there are plenty of others that have them, some serious enough to cause people to go back to 8.1. Honestly if things were as rosy as you claim, we'd have announcement of an RC build.

I mean seriously, you responded to someone saying they're having a problem with this build with basically "works on my phone and MS said it was fixed, so you're mistaken." Really?

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I was (maybe without reason) expecting fast ring builds to come out every week or two and the slow ring to be once a month or so.
But, given that our fast ring releases are about once per month...
I install a fresh 10 build, on my main phone (Lumia Icon), and run it, hard-core, for a couple weeks.
I do a lot of feedback (I'm into over-communication).
Then, I'll go back to 8.1 for a couple weeks.
That way, I have a good opportunity to test and report.
Then, I have a good opportunity to actually use/enjoy my phone.
Hehehe...

People that knee-jerk back to Windows Phone 8.1 are just like people that don't vote.
You can't complain about the president, if you didn't vote for someone else.
You can't complain about Windows if you don't give any feedback about Windows.
If you don't like something, use official channels (which, of course, the Windows Central forum isn't) to submit your issues.
If you do like something, do the same.

Personally, I've found the Windows 10 Mobile builds usable but very frustrating.
On the other hand, I've used Windows 10 Mobile builds enough that I miss things when on 8.1.
I think the default fonts and icons are too small on Windows 10, but I also think they are too big on 8.1.
I think the release would do well to just split the difference.
Pretty much everything, from a usability vantage-point, is better with 8.1.
It's snappier, has less crashes, better battery life, etc...
We all know this.
I'm believing that 10 will, eventually, catch up.

These are pre-release builds, of course, but...
It irritates me when I see some new (and I would consider "fluff") feature added, yet well-known usability issues persist.
There are many bug-fixes, per build, and things are getting better.
I wonder if the major issues will be gone, by release time.
After all, there are still problems in Windows 10.
It amazes me how many times first-party apps crash.
Just saying...
JJ

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It irritates me when I see some new (and I would consider "fluff") feature added, yet well-known usability issues persist.

Like the round icon animations on the people app. WP 8.1 had the best contact system that has ever existed on a mobile platform and they completely destroyed it.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I went back to 8.1 but not because I'm dissatisfied with w10. It's pretty much feature locked and I've seen what I needed to see. I figured it was time to go back to a polished, rock solid OS while MS fine tunes w10 mobile and it becomes one. I have full confidence that it'll be ready and I'm sure they're working double time, especially since they've officially stated that the two devices that were built to showcase it are being released next month.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Like the round icon animations on the people app.

Interestingly enough...
Pinned contacts is one of the oddest things about Windows 10 Mobile, in my opinion.
I've been back on 8.1, for a couple days, and I so enjoy seeing a bigger square image of the contact (even using the small tile is more visible).
When you add the circular crop and the black background (the cropped area isn't transparent), the contact's image just seems so small (even though the tile is a little bigger, due to smaller margins).
Plus, the medium tile doesn't even work (it doesn't show the picture, at all).
It just makes my Start Screen look lousy.
JJ

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly enough...
Pinned contacts is one of the oddest things about Windows 10 Mobile, in my opinion.
I've been back on 8.1, for a couple days, and I so enjoy seeing a bigger square image of the contact (even using the small tile is more visible).
When you add the circular crop and the black background (the cropped area isn't transparent), the contact's image just seems so small (even though the tile is a little bigger, due to smaller margins).
Plus, the medium tile doesn't even work (it doesn't show the picture, at all).
It just makes my Start Screen look lousy.
JJ

Plus they don't do anything other than move around. No feeds, no notifications, history, etc. They just make the start screen look ugly. :(

It has been reduced to android level functionality.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You are getting the notifications? I wasn't getting it on the latest build. I only see feeds at the top level and not individual, such as a pinned person.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
You are getting the notifications? I wasn't getting it on the latest build. I only see feeds at the top level and not individual, such as a pinned person.

Yes I do get it at an individual level, at least for contacts synced with Facebook. Though I don't get anything for contacts pinned within groups...such a bummer :-/

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Weird, I couldn't get it to happen for anything. Even went through a reset before reverting back to 8.1. I ran through tests with my son to make sure. Although, I did see some message notifications fail even at the app level. But I think that had to do with the Skype beta. The other tests I did were sms, calls and email. None of them banner notified the pinned contact.

This is good news anyway. Banner notifications to a person I can't be without. History would be wonderful to have.

Vexxed

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Have you guys tested Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 pre release before? Microsoft isn't in sync with it's "insiders", we are sometimes 3 or 4 builds behind them. They've said this many times and these are still the same complaints you see from "testers". A lot of their more cutting edge builds aren't quite stable(and if they gave it to us anyways that would be the new thing to ***** about) and they seem to only release what they want. Even in RTM Windows 7 and 8 had tiny issues that just seemed to magically disappear on release.

This is test software, period. We are not in sync with Microsoft, period.

Agreed. Builds are released for specific reasons not just general usage testing. Testers rarely know the real reasons for testing.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Feeds and notifications - yes
History - no

I was never able to get people tile notifications on the previous or current build. I even did a reset from the start this time. All the pinned people tiles do is roll those damn circles around as if it's the most important thing to ever happen to smart phones. If I get a text the message icon gets a badge but not the person's tile. Same for email and calls.

Honestly, the people app in Windows 10 makes the smart phone experience garbage. It sucks so damn bad it's almost funny. Horrible, really really horrible armature software design. It's just Windows 10 running on a phone as an app launcher and no smartphone optimizations.

If all we did was put the old one back this would make for a good phone OS. They ported the desktop people app to the phone, which has no smart phone features.

No reason we should have to wait two years for it to get fixed when it already had been working great and on earlier WP10 builds. It was ruined later on in the development cycle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel