Living Images in Windows 10

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I had only purchased the 735 recently upon the death of my 8x and pretty much went straight to 10 without using 8.1 on the 735. So I just downgraded from W10m to WP8.1 on my 735 and have been setting it up again and when I went into the camera it asks me if I want to turn on "Living Images." This piqued my interest and I investigated it a little, turns out it's basically the same thing as Apple's "Live Photos" which my friend was showing off this past weekend.

I don't seem to recall this being present as a camera option when I was in W10m and I checked on my 635 (which is still running W10m) and it didn't seem to be present there. I'm fairly curious if this is another thing that was ripped out of 10, like Bing vision and Here drive, or did I just miss the option on my 735 when it was running W10m and the 635 just doesn't support?

If it has been gutted, seems like one of those things they should put back in considering it's one of the selling points of a new iPhone and is kind of a cool feature in practice.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Not seeing that on my 635, can't even find Settings->Photos in W10m. When I go to the camera and settings through there, it also does not appear. This is where it appears on my 735 running 8.1u2... I'm fairly certain the 635 supports living images as I've seen articles and posts talking about it... that being said is it a 635 on W10m thing that's missing or a W10m thing period that's missing?

vicky geth

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
'Living images' is part of Lumia camera. Even in win8.1 you cannot find Living images in Camera app. In windows 10 mobile, MSFT gonna make windows camera the only camera, killing Lumia cam. Whether or not they gonna transfer all features (including Living Images)of Lumia camera to the windows cam is unknown.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Not seeing that on my 635, can't even find Settings->Photos in W10m. When I go to the camera and settings through there, it also does not appear. This is where it appears on my 735 running 8.1u2... I'm fairly certain the 635 supports living images as I've seen articles and posts talking about it... that being said is it a 635 on W10m thing that's missing or a W10m thing period that's missing?

From microsoft's page:

Note: Living images are supported in Lumia 730, Lumia 735, Lumia 830, Lumia 930, Lumia 1520 and Lumia Icon running Cyan or later.

FAQ - FAQ - What is Living Image in Lumia Camera on my Lumia phone? - Microsoft - Canada

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
'Living images' is part of Lumia camera. Even in win8.1 you cannot find Living images in Camera app. In windows 10 mobile, MSFT gonna make windows camera the only camera, killing Lumia cam. Whether or not they gonna transfer all features (including Living Images)of Lumia camera to the windows cam is unknown.

My Windows 10 mobile has it and is using Lumia camera as default. I can't even change it to Microsoft Camera. I have a tile for Microsoft Camera. I think they will move it over though. They are constantly updating the Camera app. I think it just got an update.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info... so if you can keep Lumia Camera, like Here Drive and Here Maps, then you can keep Living Images, otherwise no dice.

Hopefully the Lumia apps were part of the deal when they bought the phone division and they can just pull what they need to out of it. Otherwise seems like we'll have another jump that is one step forward and 3 steps back again :cry:

vicky geth

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
My Windows 10 mobile has it and is using Lumia camera as default.
Did you receive the latest update for Lumia camera? You can't use it anymore with the latest update.

so if you can keep Lumia Camera, like Here Drive and Here Maps, then you can keep Living Images, otherwise no dice
No you can't keep Lumia Camera app. I mean you can keep but can't use. Did you get the latest update? It shows the following message(see the attached image).
lumia-camera-app-alert.png

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Did you receive the latest update for Lumia camera? You can't use it anymore with the latest update.

No you can't keep Lumia Camera app. I mean you can keep but can't use. Did you get the latest update? It shows the following message(see the attached image).
View attachment 113199

Well it works, and it has living images. I launch the Microsoft one and it doesn't have the setting.

wp_ss_20150928_0001.png

wp_ss_20150929_0001.png

Settings for Microsoft Camera

wp_ss_20150929_0002.png

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Upgraded my Lumia 735 to the latest W10m build yesterday. Lumia Camera was present but would only give the "There's a better camera" message. In the regular Windows Camera, Living Images were not present and there was no option to turn them on.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Living images option is available in latest Insider Preview on L640.

In the Windows Camera app or the Lumia Camera app, since it seems like Lumia Camera is working for some? If it is the Windows Camera app hopefully they'll get it enabled for at least everyone that had Living Images before if not everyone.

prabu d

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Living image is sometime working sometime not working. In latest windows 10 camera. How to take living images all the time?

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
With my 640 it seems that
in WP8.1 living image is taken whenever toggle is on (and it should not be hidden in settings!)
in W10M living image is taken when toggle is on AND camera thinks it's appropriate to take one - and there is no way to know the result before taking and checking the image (toggle is still hidden in settings!). Maybe 1 out of 10 images is what I had excpected... Also camera will go to sleep after lock screen timeout - while even their basic camera programming demo does not allow that...

I really hope that the toggle is moved to camera UI and the camera will follow the setting literally. Before that the feature is pretty useless.
There is place for 3rd party camera app with proper implementation of living images - I'd buy that for a dollar ;)

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Small update on W10M I found out while checking the zip content in living image and trying to make one out of WP8.1 files: living image with mp4 content is taken more often than I thought (still not always) - but video part is not shown either in phone or W10 PC.
It seems all images captured with living images setting on are *_LI.jpg but only the large ones (on 640: less than 2MB=still, more than 3MB) are alive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)