Messaging App Burning Battery

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Is the new Microsoft Messaging app burning anyone else battery?

Phone is constantly overheating, messaging app is using battery at a rate of 54%. And 49% of it's battery usage is background usage. That's trouble. I've tried alley regular trouble shooting. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app, soft reset, etc.

I was experiencing similar battery burn with the Skype Messaging Preview app a couple weeks ago, which led to me uninstalling it.

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
I haven't had it use that much background use but it is the application that uses the most out of my battery my a significant margin. I do use that and Outlook probably the most but Outlook doesn't even come close in comparison of battery use.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Is the new Microsoft Messaging app burning anyone else battery?

Phone is constantly overheating, messaging app is using battery at a rate of 54%. And 49% of it's battery usage is background usage. That's trouble. I've tried alley regular trouble shooting. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app, soft reset, etc.

I was experiencing similar battery burn with the Skype Messaging Preview app a couple weeks ago, which led to me uninstalling it.

I think the amount of messages we send might have sth to do with it?

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
i have noticed this with several built in apps. this one just happens to be the worst. 1020 on 10536, AND a brand new Nokia battery to boot. Really hope its just an issue of its a dev preview on an old phone and the one that is released for the general public is optimized for old phones. Not deleting it though, because i know that its a dev preview.

Riot09

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
This app has been killing me. I'm losing a percent every 5 minutes or so. I've got to keep it on the charger. I just updated. I'm going to charge up to full and watch it.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
2.2% use last 24 hrs, 920 w/ latest build and messaging app. <1% use last 1 week, but possibly due to app change. This is with text backup and all SMS/MMS settings turned ON. I use none to 20 texts daily.

oblivionnewtonjohn

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue with the Preview messaging. I used WRT to cleanly install 10536, did not reinstall Preview, issue solved.
With the new Messaging app, I have false notifications. But no heavy battery use.

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I haven't really tested but for me it seems started once I began to close the app to avoid the long resuming time if it was tomb stoned.

Edit: It makes me rethink the close the apps I'm not using paradigm.

Riot09

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
28% battery usage for messaging app for me. It didn't happen immediately, it happened as soon as I linked my wife's Skype account to her account in people hub. We message back and forth on Skype through the day (from computer, not phone). I wonder if it's over-actively trying to update in the background.

I think the updated messaging app is a tiny bit better for me. But I do still have to plug my phone in a few times during the day now.

It's a pain for me to set my phone up again (security issues with work), but I may have to do it.

Nicholas Cruz

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Im experiencing the same issue. My phone is warm to hot to the touch and my battery usage is at 40% for messaging and 23% for search. I dont even use search all that often, so Im not sure whats going on. I gotta figure out a way to fix this though. I dont get more than 3-4 hours on a charge at the moment.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I've been experiencing significant battery drain. Period. It seems to not matter which app(s) and whether Location is enabled/diabled. The battery life sucks with the latest Insider build.

Riot09

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Okay, something's really weird. I was draining really fast all day yesterday and through the morning, then just magically it got better. I've been draining at normal rates, no change in my behavior. I sure hope this is a trend.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
New messaging actually seemed to increase drain. Usual use, its my secondary. Off the charger at 745, by 5pm it was 25%. i only received 5 texts, nothing else was running in the morning. again, lumia 1020.

andyqkw

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Experiencing same issue here,

L930 was fully charged
Reboot phone before I left the house
Phone is burning hot in my pocket and battery was down to 38% in 1? hrs of doing NOTHING
Checked battery saver and Microsoft Messaging had consumed 24.8% of battery in background even when no running...

Nicholas Cruz

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
A personal update. I used the WPRT to roll back to 8.1 and then went back to 10536 from there. As much of a pain in the *** as it was, this seemed to have fixed my problem. At least for the moment. I am back to regular battery drainage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire