Messaging App Burning Battery

LuisMGLopes

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Phone is constantly overheating, messaging app is using battery at a rate of 54%. And 49% of it's battery usage is background usage.... I was experiencing similar battery burn with the Skype Messaging Preview app a couple weeks ago, which led to me uninstalling it.

man it looks like I wrote this post. exactly same story. I installed the skype messaging preview and my phone would just get really hot from time to time. I simply had the phone in my pocket and it would go crazy hot. So I checked the battery usage and it was skype preview, so I uninstalled it.
now the latest messaging app update does the same.

NXTwoThou

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
My 20 minute drive to work this morning dropped my battery from 100% to 91%, so latest insider build didn't fix what the messaging app is doing(I turned Cortana off last night since Gabe said Cortana could be doing massive drains in edge cases). Considering I have a 5 hour drive today and will be spending the night out in a strange city, this is going to really blow. Anyone come up with a work around yet?

Riot09

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Update on mine too. I rolled back to 8.1 then updated to 10549 and my battery is basically as good as it was in 8.1 now. I'm on an HTC M8.
Can't say if it was the clean install, or 10549, but I'm much happier now.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Update on mine too. I rolled back to 8.1 then updated to 10549 and my battery is basically as good as it was in 8.1 now. I'm on an HTC M8.
Can't say if it was the clean install, or 10549, but I'm much happier now.

I feel ridiculous saying it, but I think my battery life on my Icon may be just as good, if not better, than it was on 8.1.

The messaging app can still consume a decent amount of battery, particularly when MMS is happening. But on the whole, battery life is significantly improved with this build.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I was one of the first to proclaim how clean and crisp this build appeared to run on a 1520.
But it wasn't long before I took a huge hit on the battery. Something that huge phone normally is immune to. :)

Sure enough, it was the messaging app. The only thing that seemed peculiar was that it was struggling with downloading all my historical texting from the cloud. (native text-backup is one of my favorite aspects of Windows phone. So easy for changing phones or performing hard resets or loading preview builds!)

Never experienced any difficulties syncing texts with previous build(s). So I did a hard reset to see if it was just a glitch. But alas, it has been hours and my texts are still "trickling in". I have a couple of years worth, admittedly about 800 megs. But it has always just successfully synced without drama, heat, or constant battery draw.

Otherwise, still a sweet running build. :)

Kayrune

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
i charge my phone at night, and battery has been good so far on my 930 with build 549. Then yesterday, at 5pm (9 hours on battery) my phone was at 60+ %, 5 hours later I got a sms warning me about my data plan is at 80%, my phone was hot and I had 17% battery left. I put it on my nokia qi charger and 1,5 hours later I have 18% battery. Soft reset phone and when it boot up I have 21%. I let my phone cool down then put it on usb charger for the night.

So I wake up today and my phone is cool and all fine, an hour later and an alarm goes off and my phone is hot, I have lost 25% battey. I check battery saver and it says messenger has used around 50% battery last 24 hours. An hour later and I'm down to around 40%. I turn off the phone and turn it on again but it does not cool down. So I turn the phone completely off wait for it to cool down and turn it on again, now the drain seems to stop.
Also now when I check battery saver, messenger is far down on the 24hour list !! WTF

There is no option to uninstall the messenger app. This is not the skype preview version, but the one that comes with current build. I did a complete wipe after installing latest build. What to do ?

it's actually draining faster than QI can charge now :(

Last edited:

Alescro

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I noticed I have the same issue with the messaging app, consuming more than 50% of my battery in the last couple of days (mostly for background usage).
Soft reset wasn't a solution for me; probably I should hard resetn the phone but I hope for a quick fix / work around before it becomes unbearable :|

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
The messaging app is the only issue I am having with the battery life when it acts up. Twice now I have had the phone become warm and it start to drain quickly. Not sure how I got it to stop, but one time I swear charging it caused it to come out of its problem.

I had 3 hours of screen time this morning burning only 35% battery between the different applications I was viewing and some music playing. Using HTC One M8.

Kayrune

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I did a complete wipe, reinstalled everything - not from backup. Charged the phone to 100% and went to bed. When I woke up phone was off and battery drained. I've noticed on my W10 Desktop TP there is a proccess "Unistack Service Group (4)" gone bad and using 100% of one cpu core, maybe it's related, some background task gone bad.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Updated yesterday 22 core apps on my 520, and suddenly the phone stopped overheating and battery draining!
Then I checked and polished the sd card using a pc (last build seems can't checking sd by itself in case of problems!) and apps on it opens faster and doesn' crash till now

Only main iussue forn now, sms doesn't notify on lock screen... again...

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Messaging ate up to 30% of global battery use. But then it was because I was restoring 2 years of SMS (^_^) and dub403-m hotmail server had glitches these days. So I guess it was constantly trying to fetch messages from the server.

Now everything is back to normal and no unusual battery use from messaging.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So it is possible that the server that hosts the cloud copy of your 2-years of historical text was the reason it took so looooong for the text messages to repopulate the messaging app?
I totally believe it was the culprit for my battery drain as well, but I assumed it was something on the client-side (this build) that caused the unusual struggle. I too have 2+ years of texting that must sync each time I deploy a new phone. But I've always been impressed with how efficiently it has succeeded. Love the fact I get my text history even with NOT choosing to restore from a backup......something I avoid so that I can get the cleanest install possible.

Anyways, this build is behaving very well on a 1520 once it overcame the strenuous text sync. Battery behavior now is really good.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
This is a fact the dub403-m.hotmail.com server had hiccups between wednesday and saturday morning (Paris time). My 1020 had also difficulties to sync my MSA account some times in the same period ; on the 640, sending/receiving mails was difficult or impossible with errors returned from that Outlook server.

And because it was restoring SMS, I think it drained a lot of battery to try and retry. It was restoring well before my first reboot and then, MSA account issue. I've hard reset 3 times, each time the same scenario.

Since then, everything is fine, battery life is excellent, messaging has returned to normal, etc.

FYI, dub403-m is located in Ireland, so if you're in Europe, it may be your server too. It's not rocket science : the 535 upgraded to latest build had no issue at all for instance.

Kayrune

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I had a different issue (had to go back to 8.1), because I only sync last 30 days and it was done instant. Also my battery drain problem started after 2 days working normal, started friday evening and continued until sunday morning (CET). So if the server issue was resolved saturday morning, why did my battery drain from 100% to empty when idle during sunday ?

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm not saying only a server issue is explaining the messaging drain. But ms have different servers, maybe yours was down when mine was up etc. If there was a server issue, you should have received errors when syncing your mails too I suppose.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Hate to dig up an old thread, but YEA!!! Messaging app is sucking the life out of my battery on my Lumia 810. Seriously, I've had 4 consecutive days where I take the phone off charge (100%), and in 2 hours I'm down to 30%.

Also, I'm randomly not getting notifications of new SMS messages. I have to make sure that after a receive a couple of SMS messages, that I have to completely exit the app.

Kayrune

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Try to disable (log out) of Skype services, using skype video app I believe. It seems many people had problems with skype part of new messenger causing battery drain. I've not had this issue since 10549.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720