Bye W10, hello WP8.1!

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, I can't speak for your 820 but I can speak for my HTC One M8 running the latest build. Its phenomenal. Even running 8.1, the 820 could not hold a candle to the M8. And based on what you're saying now, it still doesn't. HTC can build a Windows phone. They don't get press like a Samsung but even my first HTC running Windows 7 is still in great shape.
On a Tangent Jazmac Love the Avatar. back to the topic I think more than the OS the hardware is outdated which cant handle anything, but then again the OS meant for Lumias may not be the exact same for M8 * not sure about this maybe it is just the apps exclusive to Lumias* Am I right?

Couldn't agree more..
1) the "resuming..." Is kinda annoying
2) phone sometimes restart automatically
4) awful battery life
5) hot spot go off when screen is locked
6) aps store, install/updates always stuck

On the bright side, I love the action bar (like the android), the fresh-looking home screen, the calendar apps (view month + events simultaneously)

*really couldn't "resuming..." Sometimes

1 resume screen on WP is mostly masked by splash screens on Droids and Ios
2 Phone restart automatically rare as it is might happen with any phone. It is only a problem if it occurs everyday 5 -10 times a day, then again it is a preview.
3. I don't know what to say, you don't have a point there ;) :p
4. Battery life depends on what apps and processes are allowed in the background and for that matter the battery capacity and usage.
5 &6 still a preview. which is why I got out.
I don't think I want WP10 on the 1020. I feel like it is not designed for it. I rather a device meant to do it like one which Panos may come up with

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
On a Tangent Jazmac Love the Avatar. back to the topic I think more than the OS the hardware is outdated which cant handle anything, but then again the OS meant for Lumias may not be the exact same for M8 * not sure about this maybe it is just the apps exclusive to Lumias* Am I right?
...h

Thanks on the avatar point but on the topic, your point about outdated hardware is noteworthy for sure. Not sure I follow the rest of your comment. I look at this, rightly or wrongly in the same way I look at running Windows on my existing hardware. I have several computers, some have a lot more age on it then my desktop. All run Windows 10 without a problem. In fact, I have an older iphone 5 running OS9 and an ipad One that runs OS9. It can't do everything the newer phones or tablets can run with OS9 but its functional enough to daily drive.

The point is, just like Apple build both the hardware and software, MS built both of these as well. So I can't accept the 'age of the hardware' as a barrier to being able to run this OS with this crash rate. Yes its preview. Yes its a risk.

My point is simply HTC builds a better phone.

Don't get me wrong now, I dig Lumia. But Lumia has ALWAYS been an iffy product. In my experience, it took 3 returns to get a Lumia 900 that worked. It took 4 returns to get a 920 that I could use. When I got one, I didn't care about anything else. That's just me. My wife had 3 Lumia before she got one that worked. She won't own another Windows Phone now, let alone a Lumia.

It took one HTC Arrive to work properly. It took one HTC One M8 to work properly running 8.1 then the latest TP build.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
This IS my main phone, my daily driver and NO it does NOT even work as a phone with this build.
Yesterday I ended up not being able to make a very important phone call as the phone crashed and rebooted.
The startup time after a reboot with this preview build was so slow that it took me almost 10 minutes before I could make that call.
It was not this single incident that made me revert back but it was the thing that pushed me over the edge. Heck, it can't even make a phone call!?
I don't care if there is a new build tomorrow or even today. I can't imagine it will be so much better that I would like to use it.

Being back on WP8.1 Denim feels great actually. Things just work and the phone is quick and responsive as it should be.
I will jump on the W10 wagon as soon as the RTM comes out but not before.

So why you need to defend Microsoft is beyond me, I made no harsh comments?
I knew it was a preview and I knew it might be bad which it was...
As I stated in my original post "No hard feelings..."
My post was just to inform other 1020 owners that if they experience problems they are not alone.

Most here defend MS for no obvious reason. Just blind fanboys that do not see the problems, only the small good things. I also had a superb 1020 and with windows 10 it was a horrible experience. Absolutely terrible!!! With the next 1520, things were a little better but still awful! When I reverted back to 8.1 on both it was like a total reborn of the phones, all things were working fast!! and with NO LAGS, NO LOADING, NO RESUMING again! Say welcome to the new Vista of mobiles: Windows 10

charish putta

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Same here, 1020 camera feels like it has cancer in Windows10. I know its a TP and they say its in development, but why did they have to start everything from scratch instead of just improving existing stuff. Its just time consuming, its been a year since this developer preview has started. By this time Android would have released 2 updates :D. And after all this effort still there is app gap, they just took many cool things out of WP8.1. I would be just sticking with WP8.1 for a long time.

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I do feel your pain, OP. Each time I put W10 on my 640, I keep it around for a little bit longer. However, the slowness and that darn Loading thing drives me bananas. Each build of W10 gets a little bit better, and my hope is that the slowness is mainly a 'feature' of W10 (maybe collecting debug info) that will be switched off leter on.

chirag dalvi

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Bailed out today with my 1020.
Couldn't stand the crashes, epic slowness and that damn constant loading/resuming screen.
On top of that the battery time was awful and the camera pretty much useless.

Used Windows Device Recovery Tool (3.0.1) which took me back to Lumia Black (W8) thank you very much!?

After 1 gazillion updates and store downloads I'm on my way back to a working phone again with WP8.1 Cyan (and finally Denim).
The device backups was not found on Onedrive for some reason, not even the old WP8.1 ones!?
They can be seen in the web gui but not from the phone...

No hard feelings though, it's a preview, but boy have Microsoft things to fix before this thing flies.

See ya later...

Had same problem... Then i reset phone to get 8.1 back :p but ended up with same technical preview.. But surprisingly most of issues get solved .. Not happy but OK with it :)

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I to lost confidence with Microsoft creating a build for Windows 10 phone that could install without having to reset the phone to factory, then start with Windows 8.1, then being able to install the new build. My phone is back to Windows 8.1 and plan on leaving it. The new builds I encountered 10514 and 10536 came up with an error during installation, feedback was sent, yet 4 weeks passed and no resolution came from Microsoft, because they don't care about developing a build that will install for all.

I have a BLU WIN HD LTE and read that it is due to receive Windows 10, and what I have encountered with Windows 10 so far, I need one phone with Windows 8.1, since it's more reliable.
I also have a Nokia 900, running Windows 7, to me Windows 10 is a little improvement over
7, but well behind 8.1.

murtaza_p

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Bailed out today with my 1020.
Couldn't stand the crashes, epic slowness and that damn constant loading/resuming screen.
On top of that the battery time was awful and the camera pretty much useless.

Used Windows Device Recovery Tool (3.0.1) which took me back to Lumia Black (W8) thank you very much!?

After 1 gazillion updates and store downloads I'm on my way back to a working phone again with WP8.1 Cyan (and finally Denim).
The device backups was not found on Onedrive for some reason, not even the old WP8.1 ones!?
They can be seen in the web gui but not from the phone...

No hard feelings though, it's a preview, but boy have Microsoft things to fix before this thing flies.

See ya later...

agree with you on every world. the build before this one was much more stable but god this one was horrible,
Not to mention the beautiful Lumia camera app was missing on the 1020 for some reason which made the phones key selling point useless. The 1020 always had a pathetic battery life in my opinion but the preview builds made in worse, a few hours of usage and the phone used to be dead.
i am surprised you had a problem rolling back to 8.1. i rolled back directly to cyan and then OTA updated to denim.
yes i know its a TP but come on, the phone was practically useless unless you had a secondary phone. Maybe the 1020 has old hardware, but it aint that old , still has 2 gigs of ram and a pretty decent chip-set i hope the official update makes it better cause if its gonna be like this i dont think i would be updating to W10.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
you waited this long whats another day or two. they did caution about using it on the daily driver. i agree its got some problems but it pretty much still works as a phone

I am waiting 1-2 more days on the next preview...for me, the battery drain is the biggest problem...then wonky Bluetooth (with UCONNECT) and sometimes voice to text doesn't work right. If this next build doesn't work better, I may have to go back to 8.1 too until the official release for the ICON.

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I to lost confidence with Microsoft creating a build for Windows 10 phone that could install without having to reset the phone to factory, then start with Windows 8.1, then being able to install the new build. My phone is back to Windows 8.1 and plan on leaving it. The new builds I encountered 10514 and 10536 came up with an error during installation, feedback was sent, yet 4 weeks passed and no resolution came from Microsoft, because they don't care about developing a build that will install for all.

I have a BLU WIN HD LTE and read that it is due to receive Windows 10, and what I have encountered with Windows 10 so far, I need one phone with Windows 8.1, since it's more reliable.
I also have a Nokia 900, running Windows 7, to me Windows 10 is a little improvement over
7, but well behind 8.1.

Maybe consider getting a 640 with the latest 8.1 on it - nice combo.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm really torn right now. I want to buy a phone just to satisfy my "new phone" habit. The Lumia 1020 has been the one device that enthralls me as much as it frustrates me. The camera is great, but initially when I had on on AT&T the pictures had a yellow tint. I've since had many different devices, on many different operating systems. I would get a Lumia 1020 if I knew it would run Windows 10 well. Windows 8.1 is fine, but it is clearly not the OS Microsoft is going to support as much going forward. The 640 I have will run Windows 10. It runs 8.1 better (for now) and until I see a stable build that doesn't make my phone have a seizure post-update I won't be switching.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks on the avatar point but on the topic, your point about outdated hardware is noteworthy for sure. Not sure I follow the rest of your comment. I look at this, rightly or wrongly in the same way I look at running Windows on my existing hardware. I have several computers, some have a lot more age on it then my desktop. All run Windows 10 without a problem. In fact, I have an older iphone 5 running OS9 and an ipad One that runs OS9. It can't do everything the newer phones or tablets can run with OS9 but its functional enough to daily drive. The point is, just like Apple build both the hardware and software, MS built both of these as well. So I can't accept the 'age of the hardware' as a barrier to being able to run this OS with this crash rate. Yes its preview. Yes its a risk.

My point is simply HTC builds a better phone.

Don't get me wrong now, I dig Lumia. But Lumia has ALWAYS been an iffy product. In my experience, it took 3 returns to get a Lumia 900 that worked. It took 4 returns to get a 920 that I could use. When I got one, I didn't care about anything else. That's just me. My wife had 3 Lumia before she got one that worked. She won't own another Windows Phone now, let alone a Lumia.

It took one HTC Arrive to work properly. It took one HTC One M8 to work properly running 8.1 then the latest TP build.

In case of the laptops or PC they have hardware which is meant to run an universal OS but again in that they have versions like 32bit and 64bit so as long as the relevant OS version is installed the device will run fine. IOS is from a different planet all together. If I am right all their devices are built to run IOS only and will have the same OS regardless of phone or pad. What about the mac book though? Likewise with Windows 10 meant for PC and Laptops and then you have the phones. I mean 32 and 64bit for the former and a phone version for the latter. Where it does go wrong for the older phones is that they are cramming in more than what it can handle. I mean the devices that are in the market are designed for 8.1 and Win 10 is deigned with future devices in mind. Unlike apples IOS for the future model is just an updated previous version rather than a brand new OS from scratch.
Back to the Lumia and HTC I agree with you a 100% that the devices are iffy. I had to return one 1020 within few months of use. I am assuming imaging was the main focus of MS followed by what not to do with the OS instead of where to head with it. (not to repeat WP7 mistakes).

But the faith is still there as Satya might end up changing this with Windows as a "service" like IOS updates. All it needs a starting point to take off and I have a feeling that even the 950XL and the 950 were not designed with Win10 in mind but atleast the HW is heaps better than 1020. My guess is that the intel phones and Panos gang will be the starting point for this Windows as a "service" story.

Kind of what is in this Link by Rubino http://www.windowscentral.com/readi...=slider&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=wp

Last edited:

kangeles

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
It could just be your phone. As you say, it is preview. If you recall, they originally didn't allow just anyone with a WP to update. This was for a reason. It's too bad you had such severe problems. I've had a few finally with the most recent build (on an 830); not insurmountable, but certainly less useful as a daily driver. I do NOT chalk this up to having "tons to fix", however. This is part of the dev cycle and frankly I wish they had not announced support for years old devices. It's going to make things hard for them to live up to impossible expectations. I bet there are owners of 920, 1020, 8X, etc that will be SHOCKED once they learn that once they do upgrade to W10 they won't have Windows Hello! It's like when 8.x updates came out to offer improved BT and Gyroscope support. People wanted the damn updates even if it didn't physically apply to their handsets!

Blashkyrk

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I didnt see anything on my post about defending Microsoft or about anyone being harsh so why you made that comment Im not sure. I pretty much said whats a day or two more SORRY I offended you.

(...posted and answer to this yesterday but it disappeared for some reason!?)

No worries mate!
English is not my native language so I might have gotten things wrong.
Anyways I'm not offended by mere words so everything is cool.
Why the moderator stepped in is beyond me though.
Have a nice day!

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Most here defend MS for no obvious reason. Just blind fanboys that do not see the problems, only the small good things. I also had a superb 1020 and with windows 10 it was a horrible experience. Absolutely terrible!!! With the next 1520, things were a little better but still awful! When I reverted back to 8.1 on both it was like a total reborn of the phones, all things were working fast!! and with NO LAGS, NO LOADING, NO RESUMING again! Say welcome to the new Vista of mobiles: Windows 10

LOL or maybe a lot of people is having a great experience? While you have the right to say yours is not working, you should not call satisfied people fanboys, it is just childish. You should also understand that forums are usually full of people complaining, because they want to be heard. What I'm saying is that 90% of poeple that have problems usually take the time to post their complaints, 10% of people satisfied come to say they are satisfied; in other word if you have the feeling that there are a lot of satisfied people here (fanboys as you call them) it really means that there are a LOT of people satisfied with the current state of w10m, and you should actually be happy about it instead of being so full of hatred just because you do not have the same good experience with your specific phone.

For example my 930 is improving every single day. Every single OS build improved things greatly, every single app update has imporoved my experience greatly, the .NET update has made my phone super fast. The last complaint I have is battery life that should be improved but I would never roll back to 8.1.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
LOL or maybe a lot of people is having a great experience? While you have the right to say yours is not working, you should not call satisfied people fanboys, it is just childish. You should also understand that forums are usually full of people complaining, because they want to be heard. What I'm saying is that 90% of poeple that have problems usually take the time to post their complaints, 10% of people satisfied come to say they are satisfied; in other word if you have the feeling that there are a lot of satisfied people here (fanboys as you call them) it really means that there are a LOT of people satisfied with the current state of w10m, and you should actually be happy about it instead of being so full of hatred just because you do not have the same good experience with your specific phone.

For example my 930 is improving every single day. Every single OS build improved things greatly, every single app update has imporoved my experience greatly, the .NET update has made my phone super fast. The last complaint I have is battery life that should be improved but I would never roll back to 8.1.

I wasn't referring to the ones that have no problems. I called fanboys those that even if they have issues, and see obvious problems, they pretend those do not exist. If you like windows 10 on your lumia, good for you. I for one hate it, nothing seems in place in the design of it, lags a lot, still after so many builds, 1st party apps work like a dead snail and battery life is simply terrible. That's what you get when you take a desktop OS and shrink it down to match a phone without proper optimization in performance and UI...good luck then with the never ending "beta" OS.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't referring to the ones that have no problems. I called fanboys those that even if they have issues, and see obvious problems, they pretend those do not exist.

I do not see many people pretending they do not have problems. Just a lot of people, like me, aware that this is a beta OS with a lot of good improvements and apps and other things that need to be fixed; as simple as that, this is not fanboysm, all the drama about a beta is ridiculous.

Phones are due for release in more than a month and it is just two models, w10m will be greatly optimized and tested by MS on these devices.

Then they will improve it for updating all the old devices.

There is time, the OS and its core apps are improving every single day, you have some bigger issues sorry for you but try and understand that if w10m will fail it won't be for some bug here and there, it will be for missing apps and bad marketing.

In other words we see the problems, we report them, and we appreciate all the other things. We can handle problems like adults and we do not create drama over nothing like children do.

If I may ask when did you try 10? The latest update to .NET improved resuming/loading greatly just to make an example of improved things.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I am waiting 1-2 more days on the next preview...for me, the battery drain is the biggest problem...then wonky Bluetooth (with UCONNECT) and sometimes voice to text doesn't work right. If this next build doesn't work better, I may have to go back to 8.1 too until the official release for the ICON.

It pains me to say...batter life is much worse on this build from yesterday...my phone has settled from resyncing OneDrive pictures, email and back up texts. It is losing 15% or more per hour. And yes, I heard there is a Cortana Bug and the fix is to turn Cortana Off.

So my options are back to 8.1 or the SLOW ring...anyone on Slow Ring?

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the same experience that the phone gradually deteriorated.
It almost felt like the file system or something got messed up as it took longer and longer to boot.
And the time from it had booted up until it was usable at all also got worse with time.

I think this is related to the debug/usage information that Microsoft is collecting... turn off your wifi for a few days and they quickly build up... If I recall I had something like 40+ files of information ready to send to Microsoft, some small, some not so small.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99