Windows 10 Mobile build 10549! How do you like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Mobile Build 10166 - 10536 how do you like it?

Once again...I'm talking about the 8.1>10>Hard Reset path. Not the roll back. The rolling back to 8.1 is an issue in and of itself.
Yeah it seems that in order to get a properly working phone you have to do a hard reset AFTER the upgrade is all done. Hopefully that is something they are going to fix, otherwise it will be a disaster.

jcjwall

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
On Lumia 925, the cellular data plan does not work. Must be connected to Wifi to use Edge, Cortana, etc. And obviously, with no cellular data, there is no Hot-Spot.

Otherwise, so far seems snappier than the previous build.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Yeah it seems that in order to get a properly working phone you have to do a hard reset AFTER the upgrade is all done. Hopefully that is something they are going to fix, otherwise it will be a disaster.

Many claim the same for PC upgrades, that wiping a system to start fresh is the best. I've seen lots of criticism of novices who don't do such on PC and have issues. A final release of a product should not require a system wipe on either type of device, period.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Each time I have done any kind of hard reset or upgrade during the last 2 builds (536 and 549), I don't consider battery life or phone warming an issue until several hours have passed AND I am back to using the phone with my "typical" user patterns. The main reason is that it is quite obvious that the phone has a BUNCH of tasks to accomplish even after it has been updated and become usable.

I at least wait until I no longer see continuous uninterrupted WiFi activity. There are so many apps to update, Email accounts to sync, Photo albums to cache (yea, my One Drive Photo albums are a few years worth), 3 years of texting to reload, Xbox music pass cache to build, ............................ on and on

It's simply amazing how much must be accomplished before the phone becomes "normal" again and indicative of how it will behave with average daily use.

Having said all that, this build is sweeeet on a 1520. It's a sheer pleasure to carry around a device that has so much power and connectivity to the world. Although we are all still technically in preview mode of what W10M is going to be like to use, I am just blown away at what the potential for this is. Tomorrow is going to be just crazy.

FernandoDB

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
lumia 920 here. Feels definitely zippier. I was having doubts with this build but after all the work to install it, it is an improvement over the previous one.

Can't say if the cortana thing is too bad, but i guess i can manage for a couple of weeks without her. If not, i'll just turn her off and on. It's a shame though. I just hope it only works as bad as the previous build and doesn't maeke the phone comparatively worse.

Scaling is a major improvement overall for the os, it really adds to useability for people who can't see well, as well as options for whoever has a smaller/bigger screen.

Bugs:
- i have a hard time changing the default actions assigned to the 4 buttons. Especially with the one that shows rotation lock. When i touch it to change it, instead of the pull down menu, it lingers for a bit, then crashes to start screen. In my pre-restore install i managed to change it by choosing another one of the buttons which had another function to rotation lock, so they'd swap. Can't do that now, it's weird but not overly annoying.

same here... Keeps crashing and i can't change :(

tut1234

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Updated my Lumia 520 to 10549. After downloading, took 2 hours to install and run setup.
After booting, start screen very slow with Loading...
I did a soft reset and the phone rebooted about 10 times before it came back.
Have been running it about an hour, messaging app shows resuming then stops. Notification screen will not come up. Phone just hung again.
Lot of apps updating, needs more time to get stable. Hmm, can only get better from here?
Also, the phone got very very hot during install, never had the problem before.
After another soft reset, notifications screen is working now.

Last edited:

scumdogmillionaire

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
More of the same. The loading issue is a bit better but my wife tried to use it while we were in the car (her first time with Windows 10 Mobile) and she hated it. Got super frustrated and gave up.

Consider she's used WP exclusively since the Samsung Focus (WP7) and has had a 920 since the day it came out, and this was her response to it. I'd say that's not good.

I'd even done a reset AFTER the upgrade to just get a totally clean 10 experience on there.

BrayMatter

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Any one else having issues with a blank screen when going to try to install Speech language? I did a hard reset after going to 10549 on my lumia 930, but no speech languages available whatsoever

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Many claim the same for PC upgrades, that wiping a system to start fresh is the best. I've seen lots of criticism of novices who don't do such on PC and have issues. A final release of a product should not require a system wipe on either type of device, period.

For W10M I absolutely agree with you, and I fully expect the final version of W10M to not require a system wipe.

W10 is a completely different story. After software is installed on a Win32 based system, the OS knows absolutely nothing about it. As far as the OS is concerned, the software installer just vomited a bunch of files onto your file system, which the OS has zero knowledge of and absolutely no control over. This is one of the reasons why Windows systems need to be administered and are labour intensive to support. Every piece of software you install essentially turns it into something else. Given this situation, while I agree that an upgrade should not require a system wipe, there is absolutely no way MS can guarantee it won't be necessary. They can only do their best to avoid it, but there are no guarantees.

There are many reasons why clean-installing Windows from scratch every once in a while is just good practice (the brain dead person who invented the centralized Windows registry deserves much of the blame). If you're upgrading Windows, it's usually also a good time to do that clean-install. The results are simply better. It would be nice if Win32 was less finicky, but it just isn't.

Looking back, we can fairly say that Win32 having no concept of an "app" is probably a design flaw. Unfortunately, that can't be fixed without sacrificing compatibility. That's one of the reasons WinRT exists, which currently runs alongside Win32, but will someday replace it. WinRT does have the concept of app, which allows the OS to manage them autonomously and ensure they are completely and cleanly removed from the system or migrated to a newer version of the OS when necessary.

Windows, or the Win32 environment most of us are used to, is just not a good system for consumers. This is one of the reasons why. We just tolerate it.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem when trying to change Rotation Lock. Don't know if the problem was with RL or just that 3rd button from left. Either a soft reset or waiting for app updates to complete made it work.

EDIT: After testing out that 3rd Settings button from left by changing it to a few different quick settings toggles, exiting settings and toggling I've found Rotation Lock to be the only culprit force closing Notification settings when I try and change it to a different option. Since all apps are updated guess I'll try soft reset again but think I screwed myself. D'oh!

EDIT2: Same problem trying to change Quick setting button 1 from left which is set to WiFi. I don't want to change it but if I try it force closes Settings > Notifications.

It's weird, the first time I got into this build I managed to fix it doing some swapping work like it was a puzzle game. But now I definitely can't do it.

I'll try to log it as a bug anyway. Does rotation lock even work? I don't use it. I'll try entering the option itself too.

A good thing for me is that now Data Sense seems to work, and it shows a neat graphic.

BrayMatter

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Oh, this again? It happened with the last build. They probably become available to roll out later than the build itself.

Not so sure...I do recall in the past, I was able to at least choose other languages. This time just a blank screen. I thought Cortana is available in Canada now with this build?

I might have to do another hard reset again, I guess.

JithinPrasad

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
So far Build 10549 is the best build out for WM10..

Very much stable and smooth on my Lumia 620. Some glitches while opening some apps. Otherwise perfect. Battery drain is little high compared to last build. but better than first builds..
Cortana is available in India without any settings change.
Have two settings in menu list. First one take to WP8.1 settings menu and the later takes to W10 settings menu style.
So far in love with this build.
wp_ss_20151015_0005.pngwp_ss_20151015_0004.pngwp_ss_20151015_0002.pngwp_ss_20151015_0003.pngwp_ss_20151015_0001.png

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Aside from everything posted, Glance Background shows it's not available for my 830 on ATT. I wasn't even able to download on 8.1 with the new ATT Denim update.

Looks like Denim broke this compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb