Why is my Lumia 1020 stuck with its updates?

Maxwell Zwe

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi, everyone!

The 1020 that I'm using now is currently running Windows 10 Mobile Technical Preview, Build 10166. Currently, when I check for updates, it has 3 updates from Insider Fast: Builds 10536, 10514, and 10512.

The problem is, either of the two usually happens:

1) Downloading updates is stuck at 0%. I tried doing this with a 5 min screen timeout (and at times I constantly tap on the screen to keep it alive). It would be stuck for hours at times.
IMG_2531.jpg

2) The updates are downloaded smoothly, and when preparing to install, the max. it would go would be around 3% to 5% before it fails. After it fails, when I check for updates again, it would just show that my phone is up-to-date.

I have hard reset-ed it a few times and they all produced the same result. Oh, and the most jolly thing is that my phone's USB is a little defective, so I cannot transfer any data and computers do not recognise it (charging still works). So, unless I find some time to fix the port, going back to WP 8.1 is out of the question.

Any idea what went wrong? Thanks in advance!

- Valentine

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Not sure but is your phone connected to a charger during your update attempts. I think I got the updating started when I connect my phone to a charger.
Good luck.

Nicholas Ek

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
There is a corruption bug that causes internal errors in the update service. The only solution is a hard reset. My Lumia 920 suffered from this bug as well in 10512.

killinghall

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
1020 user here. When deciding to upgrade, roll back to 8.1 first, upgrade 8.1 fully to Denim and then upgrade to W10M. Do NOT restore backups at any point. Do not restore purchased apps, but certainly update the core apps, Start on a clean slate. Not only do you get Lumia Camera back this way, you get a very solid, usable 10549 build with very little issues. Tried and proven last night. Don't waste your time trying other methods. Do not upgrade directly from your existing 8.1 build. Won't work and will only bring further grief. Roll back to a plain vanilla 8.1 and proceed from there. Since you can't rollback you're pretty much screwed with a buggy, slow, unresponsive 10166 build - pretty much what I experienced over the weekend. The image you posted is all too familiar, persisting this way is not going to get you anywhere.

raffaelctba

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
i have exactly the same problem, i am looking forward to find any solution, i already reset and didnt solve the problem, also I cannot use recovery tool as my lumia 1020 is not being recognized by computer.

Maxwell Zwe

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, I see. Seems like I'm pretty much screwed for a whole. For the first response, yep, I did the updating while the phone was being charged. Still didn't work.

It's all right, and thanks for all your input and help! I'll see if I can fix the USB port, then will roll back to WP 8.1. Luckily the phone is no longer my daily driver.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes