Why can't I revert back to Windows Phone 8.1 from Win 10 mobile?

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Cannot revert back to windows phone 8.1 from win 10 mobile

Right now i have build 10536.1004 i decided to install 8.1 back so i downloaded the new windows device recover tool, downloaded my firmware. But the device recovery tool stays in "SWITCHING THE DEVICE TO FLASHING MODE" and throws an error. Can anybody please help me??

Untitled1.jpgUntitled2.jpgUntitled3.jpg

Last edited:

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Cannot revert back to windows phone 8.1 from win 10 mobile

Hard reset the phone then do the recovery tool.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Cannot revert back to windows phone 8.1 from win 10 mobile

That's right, it's was something like that.

Mondlicht

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

Has anyone managed to do this meanwhile? I also have the same problem, the Windows Device Recovery tool can't bring my phone into flashing mode.
I'm able to let my Lumia 820 show the big "!", but the phone doesn't appear in the Device Manager and after ~30sec the phone boots normally again - maybe because it didn't receive anthing.

I also tried the recovery mode (Vol Up), but I seem to miss the right drivers for that...

Can please anyone help me to get rid of Windows Phone 10?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mondlicht

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi again,

So the Nokia Software Updater (NSU for Retail, version 4.3.2) showed almost the same behavior. This one got stuck showing a big "NOKIA" logo, so I had to remove the battery to get the phone back.
So I finally used another Win7 PC, this one was able to detect the phone in flashing mode (via Windows Device Recovery Tool) and installed WP8.

So I'm glad to be back on Lumia Denim with my Lumia 820 - there's a reason behind no official update announcement for this device.
WP10 is just too slow on it - besides all the bugs that are still in the latest WP10 builds.

Thanks for your help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3