Lost synced text messages

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Now I am convinced it is server side...............
I grabbed my 1520 and rolled it back to 8.1 (I'm running 572 on a 640)
While in 8.1, it immediately restored every text thread from the last 2+ years, but when you enter each thread, each messages is labeled "Get Media Content"
So, of course, you touch each message and it changes to "Getting media content"
Alas, it just crawls and very slowly brings in those messages. Really slow.

So, more evidence that it isn't necessarily a Preview Build isolated issue.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
jdballard said:
That's good to know. While I assumed it's a server side issue and nothing was actually deleted, it's nice for someone to confirm that.

To be sure your messages are not deleted, you can check your outlook account on the web ; I can see my latest SMS there.

I've asked Gabe if this issue can be fixed:
a) by an app update
b) by a new build
c) by a server-fix.

It's unlikely he will respond, but if he does, I'll report it here

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
To be sure your messages are not deleted, you can check your outlook account on the web ; I can see my latest SMS there.

I've asked Gabe if this issue can be fixed:
a) by an app update
b) by a new build
c) by a server-fix.

It's unlikely he will respond, but if he does, I'll report it here

Where do we look on the outlook site to see this? Im in the process of rolling back my 1020 to 8.1, restoring from the backup, waiting for texts to download, then upping to 10572. May be a moot point, but seeing the texts on outlook would ease my mind. My mother passed in July and i DONT want to lose those texts.

NXTwoThou

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Where do you go in Outlook to see your SMSs? They used to have Messaging History folder but they removed that like a year ago.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
To all who asked :
a) go on outlook.com
b) go to the settings gear (next to your username, top right) and choose "manage categories" (I'm translating from French, don't know how it looks like in English
c) Tick the 2 boxes in front of "Contacts" (so a tick in QuickView and in Filter)
d) Now come back to the main view. Under Categories, you have Contacts. Click on it, you'll see there messages from your contacts, *including* SMS

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Allen Rhodes said:
Where do we look on the outlook site to see this? Im in the process of rolling back my 1020 to 8.1, restoring from the backup, waiting for texts to download, then upping to 10572. May be a moot point, but seeing the texts on outlook would ease my mind. My mother passed in July and i DONT want to lose those texts.

I'm sorry for your loss and I fully understand. I'd suggest that, when you SMS are back (I'm pretty convinced we'll get our SMS when the MS servers are fixed), you create a physical backup with the contact+SMS app. You don't need a SD card for this, and you'll have a file that you can store on your DD, or where you prefer, to get these precious texts elsewhere that only on the MS servers.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I had tried to reinstall the 10549 many times and at that time (last week), it had changed nothing at all. I doubt it would fix the issue for 10572.

NXTwoThou

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
To all who asked :
a) go on outlook.com
b) go to the settings gear (next to your username, top right) and choose "manage categories" (I'm translating from French, don't know how it looks like in English
c) Tick the 2 boxes in front of "Contacts" (so a tick in QuickView and in Filter)
d) Now come back to the main view. Under Categories, you have Contacts. Click on it, you'll see there messages from your contacts, *including* SMS

Confirmed my settings under "Manage categories", went to "Contacts". It sorted by newest date first. First one in the list is the email I received from my gf on 9/23. It does not show any of the text messages I got from her, even the ones from a few hours ago. AKA, doesn't work.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
To all who asked :
a) go on outlook.com

Worked perfectly for me. There they all are. THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of texts from as far back as 2013.

I will do a physical backup of these texts after they catch up completely again because I too have some precious moments with a lost loved one. Great idea!

Thanks to both of you fellas for the help.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
welp, went back to 8.1 > restore from backup, force sync all texts > update to 10572 > they are there now. All of the group ones require a download for each, but they are there. Running as smooth as my first 10572 install. Hope this method helps someone.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Now I'm getting a 0x86000206 error from the dub407-m.hotmail.com server when trying to sync my MSA and no new SMS was restored over last 24h. The lack of communication from MS is appalling.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This is what I did. Went back to 8.1, did the updates, very few app downloads, no restore but I enabled messages backup and downloaded all my messages in a few minutes from last year to this week. Synced well without hiccups.

Then I did the upgrade to 10572, installed fast configuration update and after that started downloading my apps. No hard reset once I got to 10572. Messages are all there. Problem solved :smile:

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
This is what I did. Went back to 8.1, did the updates, very few app downloads, no restore but I enabled messages backup and downloaded all my messages in a few minutes from last year to this week. Synced well without hiccups.

Then I did the upgrade to 10572, installed fast configuration update and after that started downloading my apps. No hard reset once I got to 10572. Messages are all there. Problem solved :smile:

That's awesome... glad you got your messages back.

The problem is that new text messages coming in after the upgrade to 10572 are not being backed up to the server. I have 8.1 installed on my Lumia 920 and the new texts that came in on my 1520 are not syncing with the backup server. The evidence of this is that my 920 does not show the new text messages from the date that 10572 was installed on my 1520.

Lets hope that the new build coming out next week will allow for a direct upgrade or else if we have to roll back to 8.1 to upgrade again, those messages will be gone without a physical backup.

kirbybaker#WN

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I've done the downgrade/upgrade cycle three times now. First time I got texts synced up to around March 2014. Second time I only got texts through July 2013. Finally decided to just do a sms/mms backup to SD card and restored that in 10572.

Mecani Ser

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
That worked for me too but how to get those messages on my phone ?

d)Go to Outlook.com,:grincry: Select all messages and move it to the Outlook/Inbox/Text messages folder
e) Go to you phone Outlook, open ||| hamburger menu select your Outlook account then select 'More...' or if you can see your Text messages folder click on it.
f) If it is empty just hit Sync and you are done !!!
g) You have your text messages on you phone.:grincry::grincry::grincry:

Benjec83

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same thing, nothing past a few messages in 2013. Out of curiosity I reset an old phone I had, running 8.1. It's loaded all of my messages back again. So they still exist, just not syncing to this build

I also noticed that when you first install 10565 for PC and open Messaging before the app updates through store, that all of your text messages load in it. But once it updates they disappear and it's just the Skype messages. Looks like it's a quick filter/fix to keep it only Skype for now, but will sync all your sms's later

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro