Will HTC 8X / 8S phones ever get included into the preview?

TheHusky

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I really wanna join in on the preview builds and help with spotting bugs, reporting issues but sadly my phone isn't supported. It's been mentioned a while ago that these two phones will be included shortly, nothing yet. I also ask Gabe on twitter about it every few builds, no answer yet.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I really wanna join in on the preview builds and help with spotting bugs, reporting issues but sadly my phone isn't supported. It's been mentioned a while ago that these two phones will be included shortly, nothing yet. I also ask Gabe on twitter about it every few builds, no answer yet.
I'm doubtful they'll ever be included, either with the Insider program or with official builds. Both are end of line.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
What about the Ativ S? This phone remains superior to any Lumia, except possibly the 930 and the new flagships

The Ativ S is also end of line. You also have to remember that part of getting into the Insider program is manufacturer support. That's why Lumias just as old or even older than your Ativ S or the HTC devices are supported. Microsoft will guarantee support for their own phones, but it's partially up to HTC and Samsung to enable their devices to work. That's why the One M8 is supported. It's a newer, premium device.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Agreed. Hoping they get included. Although I'm sure eventually there will be some work around to get them all running it.

I wouldn't get hopeful. We're already seeing fantastic support for a rather large number of devices already. Android previews only support Nexus devices, and those aren't technical previews they're betas (this is very different). iOS is only running on a handful of different handsets and they also do betas and even differently than Android does. Microsoft is the only company doing this right now and it's already working on an amazing number of phones. It's not surprising that old phones like the Ativ S or 8X aren't supported when it's half up to the manufacturer and both Samsung and HTC have showed general disinterest in Windows Mobile.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't get hopeful. We're already seeing fantastic support for a rather large number of devices already. Android previews only support Nexus devices, and those aren't technical previews they're betas (this is very different). iOS is only running on a handful of different handsets and they also do betas and even differently than Android does. Microsoft is the only company doing this right now and it's already working on an amazing number of phones. It's not surprising that old phones like the Ativ S or 8X aren't supported when it's half up to the manufacturer and both Samsung and HTC have showed general disinterest in Windows Mobile.

True. Although some ativ s users seem to have managed to get the preview on their phones. My 1020 will run the preview and my ativ s will remain my daily. I'll wait to decide which phone to use. (if wm10 ever gets to the point I'm comfortable using it)

When it comes to Android, I'd rather run a user cooked rom, then anything Samsung comes up with. Lol.

I pretend in my little world that IOS doesn't even exist. :p

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
True. Although some ativ s users seem to have managed to get the preview on their phones. My 1020 will run the preview and my ativ s will remain my daily. I'll wait to decide which phone to use. (if wm10 ever gets to the point I'm comfortable using it)

When it comes to Android, I'd rather run a user cooked rom, then anything Samsung comes up with. Lol.

I pretend in my little world that IOS doesn't even exist. :p

Yes some users have hacked it onto their Ativ S devices but performance is simply terrible and bugs run aplenty. It's not optimized for the Ativ S and hacking it on to your phone is both risky and foolhardy. Perhaps there's still hope but I don't think the support will ever come.

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Zach yer not a MS employee so you don't know anymore than those do that are asking. MS actually stated a while back the 8X would get it but the 8s will not. MS never got the recovery images from HTC which is why it never got put on the insider build list. Now they are getting the recovery images from HTC, since those that had the win 10 dl fiasco were able to recover back to 8.1, no reason why it shouldn't, it is more powerful than the lumia 520 which is also EOL. Maybe it won't, MS doesn't always honour what they say as time goes on. Right now it's 50/50 whether it gets it or not.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
as for ATIV S, I got mine ATIV S on the leak 10536 build without any mod in my device. I didn't notice much difference compare to WP8.1 update 1 in terms of preformance.

Yes there's a bit more resuming everywhere and the default camera app couldn't autofocus but I recon it's just small bugs.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/samsung-ativ-s/376104-2.htm#post3234352

I didn't roll back trying to get 10549/10572 cos I'm not sure if I still can get preview build if I roll back, I'm waiting for 10575 and hope my device can be updated.

TheHusky

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Well by Microsoft statement where they said all phones that support Windows 8.1 will recieve Win 10.... which means the phones should get Win10. By that logic they should most likely be included in some future slow ring update?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Zach yer not a MS employee so you don't know anymore than those do that are asking. MS actually stated a while back the 8X would get it but the 8s will not. MS never got the recovery images from HTC which is why it never got put on the insider build list. Now they are getting the recovery images from HTC, since those that had the win 10 dl fiasco were able to recover back to 8.1, no reason why it shouldn't, it is more powerful than the lumia 520 which is also EOL. Maybe it won't, MS doesn't always honour what they say as time goes on. Right now it's 50/50 whether it gets it or not.
I know I don't know for certain, but I'm just informing others that you shouldn't get too hopeful. Even though the Lumia 520 is end of line, it's still a Lumia and that's an important difference. HTC isn't known for being very supporting of their Windows Phones and I'll be surprised if any of those two phones get either on the Insider Preview or the official update.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Well by Microsoft statement where they said all phones that support Windows 8.1 will recieve Win 10.... which means the phones should get Win10. By that logic they should most likely be included in some future slow ring update?

Microsoft said that at first but they sort of went back on their word and said that the GOAL was to get all Windows Phone 8.1 devices onto Windows 10 Mobile, then it was all devices with Lumia Denim firmware. Now no one is certain what all is getting the official update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans