10-27-2015 01:41 PM
59 123
tools
    I rolled back on my 1320 after a bootloop, and WDRT worked fine, after several attempts.

Have you tried the Nokia recovery software? It can even dead flash a device.
    10-25-2015 04:37 PM
    yeah everyone has an ATF box laying around somewhere. Man i bet not even half of the ppl here understand or know what the hell it even is.
    So if you want to be smart just reffer people to go to a repair centre where they offer these services. instead of just boldly tell them some technical terms that might fix it.
    safariking likes this.
    10-26-2015 03:34 AM
    I rolled back on my 1320 after a bootloop, and WDRT worked fine, after several attempts.

Have you tried the Nokia recovery software? It can even dead flash a device.
    Tried that not working phone is at repair center atm (stuck with Android phone now Blughhh)
    OndrejBakan likes this.
    10-26-2015 04:53 AM
    Maybe you should have read the term and agreements provided by microsoft for insider preview.might work nice and smooth for a lot of people, but it is still UNFINISHED software nin the less, so occasional bricking is to be expected. You cannot be mad at microsoft, only yourself if you didn't want to take chance you should have stayed on 8.1 until official realise.
    That is neither constructive nor useful...

I know that technically you're right but you have to put yourself in his shoes and be compassionate. He tried a software to help MS develop it and his phone, which is not a cheap thing to replace, is now dead. He's angry and it's understandable no matter what he agreed on. Your post is like someone crossing the street, getting hit by a car and you going next to him and instead of helping him just saying "Maybe you should have looked both ways before crossing"
    10-26-2015 07:02 AM

I know that technically you're right but you have to put yourself in his shoes and be compassionate. He tried a software to help MS develop it and his phone, which is not a cheap thing to replace, is now dead. He's angry and it's understandable no matter what he agreed on. Your post is like someone crossing the street, getting hit by a car and you going next to him and instead of helping him just saying "Maybe you should have looked both ways before crossing"
    Haha what you say is so true
    dlalonde and Arizona Willie like this.
    10-26-2015 08:09 AM
    It's not about who's to blame here, it's more about how it started. Sure, the OP is not the first Insider to have his/her phone soft bricked while restoring using WDRT, get that. Now this is where it gets tricky. Does anyone taking sides know the specifics? Was the USB cable loose during the process? Was the USB port damaged that caused an incorrect reset? Was WDRT correctly installed on the OP's PC? Is WDRT buggy? See there are multitude of variables that no one ever thinks off. The fact is, the software release is beta and can/has caused irreparable damage. If one happens to be in a situation like that they need to know the back out plans before venturing into this territory...that also includes preparing for the worst (a completely bricked device). My back out plan...I never use WDRT to flash (Product Support Tool it is) and always perform a dead flash.

Personally IMO if the OP would have started in a tone that asked for help than criticize and complain it would have been a better situation and not like one of those hundreds of "WDRT bricked my phone", "WM10 sucks" thread.
    a5cent, dlalonde, LeFreak and 1 others like this.
    10-26-2015 08:19 AM
    Personally I'd be shocked if WM10 were ready for release in, what, a couple of weeks? I just can't see it being ready. People thought (think) Windows 10 is buggy, whew. I'm not upgrading to WM10 until it's been out for a few months. :P
    10-26-2015 08:39 AM
    I wouldn't be surprised if WM10 becomes RTM on the next couple of weeks. The speed bump from 10166 to 10549 to 10572 has been amazing. Besides there are separate teams responsible for improving the UX/UI and adding features. Up until Right now the main goal was to add features and fix bugs. The last few iterations are concentrated on improving the UI/UX and that's what would be happening in the releases going forward. Also remember, W10 for PC was sluggish on a lot of machines without proper drivers so firmware updates would also matter. Personally I would've been happy if Microsoft would've started pushing firmware updates for insiders.
    libra89 and dlalonde like this.
    10-26-2015 09:06 AM
    My Nokia 520 wouldn't load build 10536 so I wound up going back to 8.1, the next build came
    out and read that I would need to go to 8..1 before loading it. Now build 10572 Windows Central
    wrote I would have to go back to 8.1 before loading it. The techs at Microsoft don't realize what
    a pain it is to have to go back to 8.1 then load the build, it takes hours out of our day. My phone
    is still on 8.1, I was waiting for good feedback from members before loading the new build. From
    what you wrote, I made a good decision by not loading the new build.
    Others wrote the phone gets Hot after doing minor tasks, others wrote it's not great even getting
    it loaded.
    I wonder if you take your phone to the Microsoft store if they could fix it.
    10-26-2015 09:07 AM

A more appropriate analogy would be a person standing at the side of the road, who unexpectedly and at an arbitrary time, darts across the road while hoping they don't get run over. This might work fine for a thousand people, but someone will eventually get hit by a car. It sucks when it happens to you, but placing the blame on anybody but yourself is what's wrong (the OP is getting peeved at MS). That's what some are justifiably taking issue with.

Everybody crossing the road in that fashion knows there are risks involved. If you don't want to take those risks, you don't cross, or you wait until you reach a cross walk (the official release).

At the same time, you're obviously right that we should still try and help as best we can.
    10-26-2015 09:39 AM
    Can't blame them for something they warned you about.
    midnightfrolic likes this.
    10-26-2015 09:49 AM
    The techs at Microsoft don't realize what
    a pain it is to have to go back to 8.1 then load the build, it takes hours out of our day.
    So?

I think it is very wise of them, to ask us insiders to roll back to 8.1, before upgrading to the latest build, because when W10M is going to be rolled out, everybody will upgrade from 8.1, so this should work without any problem!
    On the other end, it should also be nice that if we roll back to 8.1, we can atleast roll back to Denim, instead of Cyan..... ;)
    colinkiama, a5cent and 920Walker like this.
    10-26-2015 10:11 AM
    Technically, I think 8.1 is what screwed up your phone. :)
    Sorry about the hassle, have you had any luck getting it to flash?
    10-26-2015 10:46 AM
    Technically, I think 8.1 is what screwed up your phone. :)
    Sorry about the hassle, have you had any luck getting it to flash?
    Nopes i didn't phone had black screen no reaction on button combinations or charger neither WDRT detects it
    10-26-2015 10:52 AM
    What is ATF Box?
    10-26-2015 11:17 AM
    ATF box= Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms if I'm not mistaken. Shoot the phone and then have a cigarette and a drink.
    10-26-2015 02:30 PM
    You can try a different USB cable and/or charger. I find it better at low light level to detect whether the screen is on/off but still black screen. Was wondering if unit is actually even getting power at all.

I've reflashed my 640XL a few times back to Win Mobile 8.1 and on occasion I thought it was dead because I only saw a black screen for about 10 minutes. But then upon careful inspection, i can see light bleed on the screen, so I know it was powered on and doing something (hopefully).

It crashed once during a reflashing and wouldn't flash anymore, even after multiple reboots. I just removed the battery, reinserted it. Charged it up. Closed the Windows Recovery Tool app on my computer. Opened the WDRT, connected the phone back to the computer. WDRT app recognized the phone and reflashed again with no issues back to Win Mobile 8.1.

Perseverance and persistence paid off for me.
    10-26-2015 07:03 PM
    It's not the Windows 10 Mobile that destroyed your lumia....it's that stupid Recovery tool from MS!

I got my phone bricked again with their new Windows Device Recovery tool and I had to use cmd trick to get it back to working
    10-26-2015 10:07 PM
    What is the CMD trick? Will it work on my lumia icon? Thanks.
    10-26-2015 10:17 PM
    Well I faced this problem when wm10 betas started rolling out. I tried it on my Lumia 925. And it was bricked in between update process. Like the battery went dead while the update was being installed. So it was like everytime I turn on the phone I see Nokia logo then the phone reboots. It kept on going like that. You can't turn off the phone as well. It was constantly rebooting until the battery was fully drained. What I did was update the windows phone recovery tool and then connect my phone to my PC. For a split second my PC picked up my phone and then it didn't. Whenever the Nokia logo appeared the PC picked it up as a mobile. So i was constantly pressing try again on my recovery tool again and again. And in that same split second it started to roll back.
    10-27-2015 12:14 AM
    As long as there are software upgrades for a device and as long as members of the public have access to the tools/ software either through official or unofficial channels somebody is always going to brick a device. The ATF the guy was referring to is a serial programmer you have to connect on the board to re upload the boot code firmware its just a quicker way of not having to do multiple unplugs and re plugs of a device to get the hardware boot code to recognise the phone is in a usb and for the software to catch it. That's why you generally try to have no other usb devices plugged in when doing it, very difficult with a lot of modern laptops and pc's.
    920Walker likes this.
    10-27-2015 12:58 AM
    Since the OP is having his/her device repaired by a service center, this thread is now closed.
    safariking likes this.
    10-27-2015 01:10 AM
    Connect lumia to pc. Start Windows Device Recovery Tool. If phone is not detected, press power and volume down and keep pressed while phone is not detected.
    10-27-2015 04:13 AM
    Try to :
    1. use another PC's USB Port
    2. If it still can't find your device, uninstall and reinstall WDRT.
    I experienced the 'device not found error', and the two steps above saved my phone.
    someone2639 likes this.
    10-27-2015 05:40 AM

of course I'm compassionate, but blaming Microsoft is not a right attitude. I have been on insider program since beginning and understand my phone can be bricked, and once I had similar problem but in the end i was able to resolve it. And i have posted that later in the thread.

And when it comes to your comparison i would describe it a little different. Imagine someone standing in a middle of very busy road. Most driver would avoid him and he would be safe, but there is always that one ***** who would run him over, Who is to blame then the driver or the the guy who chose to stand n dangerous place. Now imagine his life insurance is like the phone warranty. you loose you leg or arm in this accident, will the insurance company pay out? So in the end only person who choses to use beta software is to blame. If someone in android community bricks their phone because of rooting who is to blame, google because they don't give you root acess straight from the box or person who chosen to do so. If someone tries to flash ios beta and bricks their iphone apple is not the one to be blamed. In the end you have to learn with consequences which came from your own behaviour and not to to blame someone else for it.
    920Walker likes this.
    10-27-2015 06:08 AM
59 123