Thank you Win10 for destroying my lumia

Status
Not open for further replies.

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Read the title and the OP, he's blaming a test software for "destroying" his phone. I know the philosophy because I'm an Insider - which means I know the risks involved and therefore take responsibility for my choices in life. His issue can be fixed. Don't become the very thing you are accusatory of.

Last edited by a moderator:

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
(almost) everyone on here is saying it's OP's fault for agreeing to a beta OS. He/she could want to be on the program like me, getting new features first and better connections to Microsoft themselves. I'll admit it, I thought my laptop/phone was permanently broken at times, but as long as you can access Google and have some knowledge on how to shake the system to working condition, you should be fine here.

Now for my (theoretical) suggestions: See if recovery tool can just flash to whatever device is connected (I think it's Can't Find Device).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[WARN] Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.[/WARN]

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I rolled back on my 1320 after a bootloop, and WDRT worked fine, after several attempts.

Have you tried the Nokia recovery software? It can even dead flash a device.

Makubex1980

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
yeah everyone has an ATF box laying around somewhere. Man i bet not even half of the ppl here understand or know what the hell it even is.
So if you want to be smart just reffer people to go to a repair centre where they offer these services. instead of just boldly tell them some technical terms that might fix it.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you should have read the term and agreements provided by microsoft for insider preview.might work nice and smooth for a lot of people, but it is still UNFINISHED software nin the less, so occasional bricking is to be expected. You cannot be mad at microsoft, only yourself if you didn't want to take chance you should have stayed on 8.1 until official realise.

That is neither constructive nor useful...

I know that technically you're right but you have to put yourself in his shoes and be compassionate. He tried a software to help MS develop it and his phone, which is not a cheap thing to replace, is now dead. He's angry and it's understandable no matter what he agreed on. Your post is like someone crossing the street, getting hit by a car and you going next to him and instead of helping him just saying "Maybe you should have looked both ways before crossing"

safariking

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

I know that technically you're right but you have to put yourself in his shoes and be compassionate. He tried a software to help MS develop it and his phone, which is not a cheap thing to replace, is now dead. He's angry and it's understandable no matter what he agreed on. Your post is like someone crossing the street, getting hit by a car and you going next to him and instead of helping him just saying "Maybe you should have looked both ways before crossing"

Haha what you say is so true

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It's not about who's to blame here, it's more about how it started. Sure, the OP is not the first Insider to have his/her phone soft bricked while restoring using WDRT, get that. Now this is where it gets tricky. Does anyone taking sides know the specifics? Was the USB cable loose during the process? Was the USB port damaged that caused an incorrect reset? Was WDRT correctly installed on the OP's PC? Is WDRT buggy? See there are multitude of variables that no one ever thinks off. The fact is, the software release is beta and can/has caused irreparable damage. If one happens to be in a situation like that they need to know the back out plans before venturing into this territory...that also includes preparing for the worst (a completely bricked device). My back out plan...I never use WDRT to flash (Product Support Tool it is) and always perform a dead flash.

Personally IMO if the OP would have started in a tone that asked for help than criticize and complain it would have been a better situation and not like one of those hundreds of "WDRT bricked my phone", "WM10 sucks" thread.

laserfloyd

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Personally I'd be shocked if WM10 were ready for release in, what, a couple of weeks? I just can't see it being ready. People thought (think) Windows 10 is buggy, whew. I'm not upgrading to WM10 until it's been out for a few months. :p

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if WM10 becomes RTM on the next couple of weeks. The speed bump from 10166 to 10549 to 10572 has been amazing. Besides there are separate teams responsible for improving the UX/UI and adding features. Up until Right now the main goal was to add features and fix bugs. The last few iterations are concentrated on improving the UI/UX and that's what would be happening in the releases going forward. Also remember, W10 for PC was sluggish on a lot of machines without proper drivers so firmware updates would also matter. Personally I would've been happy if Microsoft would've started pushing firmware updates for insiders.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
My Nokia 520 wouldn't load build 10536 so I wound up going back to 8.1, the next build came
out and read that I would need to go to 8..1 before loading it. Now build 10572 Windows Central
wrote I would have to go back to 8.1 before loading it. The techs at Microsoft don't realize what
a pain it is to have to go back to 8.1 then load the build, it takes hours out of our day. My phone
is still on 8.1, I was waiting for good feedback from members before loading the new build. From
what you wrote, I made a good decision by not loading the new build.
Others wrote the phone gets Hot after doing minor tasks, others wrote it's not great even getting
it loaded.
I wonder if you take your phone to the Microsoft store if they could fix it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

A more appropriate analogy would be a person standing at the side of the road, who unexpectedly and at an arbitrary time, darts across the road while hoping they don't get run over. This might work fine for a thousand people, but someone will eventually get hit by a car. It sucks when it happens to you, but placing the blame on anybody but yourself is what's wrong (the OP is getting peeved at MS). That's what some are justifiably taking issue with.

Everybody crossing the road in that fashion knows there are risks involved. If you don't want to take those risks, you don't cross, or you wait until you reach a cross walk (the official release).

At the same time, you're obviously right that we should still try and help as best we can.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
The techs at Microsoft don't realize what
a pain it is to have to go back to 8.1 then load the build, it takes hours out of our day.

So?

I think it is very wise of them, to ask us insiders to roll back to 8.1, before upgrading to the latest build, because when W10M is going to be rolled out, everybody will upgrade from 8.1, so this should work without any problem!
On the other end, it should also be nice that if we roll back to 8.1, we can atleast roll back to Denim, instead of Cyan..... ;)

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Technically, I think 8.1 is what screwed up your phone. :)
Sorry about the hassle, have you had any luck getting it to flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos