Thank you Win10 for destroying my lumia

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
You can try a different USB cable and/or charger. I find it better at low light level to detect whether the screen is on/off but still black screen. Was wondering if unit is actually even getting power at all.

I've reflashed my 640XL a few times back to Win Mobile 8.1 and on occasion I thought it was dead because I only saw a black screen for about 10 minutes. But then upon careful inspection, i can see light bleed on the screen, so I know it was powered on and doing something (hopefully).

It crashed once during a reflashing and wouldn't flash anymore, even after multiple reboots. I just removed the battery, reinserted it. Charged it up. Closed the Windows Recovery Tool app on my computer. Opened the WDRT, connected the phone back to the computer. WDRT app recognized the phone and reflashed again with no issues back to Win Mobile 8.1.

Perseverance and persistence paid off for me.

Zuchit

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
It's not the Windows 10 Mobile that destroyed your lumia....it's that stupid Recovery tool from MS!

I got my phone bricked again with their new Windows Device Recovery tool and I had to use cmd trick to get it back to working

Suwadith

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Well I faced this problem when wm10 betas started rolling out. I tried it on my Lumia 925. And it was bricked in between update process. Like the battery went dead while the update was being installed. So it was like everytime I turn on the phone I see Nokia logo then the phone reboots. It kept on going like that. You can't turn off the phone as well. It was constantly rebooting until the battery was fully drained. What I did was update the windows phone recovery tool and then connect my phone to my PC. For a split second my PC picked up my phone and then it didn't. Whenever the Nokia logo appeared the PC picked it up as a mobile. So i was constantly pressing try again on my recovery tool again and again. And in that same split second it started to roll back.

NICK TOALE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
As long as there are software upgrades for a device and as long as members of the public have access to the tools/ software either through official or unofficial channels somebody is always going to brick a device. The ATF the guy was referring to is a serial programmer you have to connect on the board to re upload the boot code firmware its just a quicker way of not having to do multiple unplugs and re plugs of a device to get the hardware boot code to recognise the phone is in a usb and for the software to catch it. That's why you generally try to have no other usb devices plugged in when doing it, very difficult with a lot of modern laptops and pc's.

majsinko

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Connect lumia to pc. Start Windows Device Recovery Tool. If phone is not detected, press power and volume down and keep pressed while phone is not detected.

Dunde

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Try to :
1. use another PC's USB Port
2. If it still can't find your device, uninstall and reinstall WDRT.
I experienced the 'device not found error', and the two steps above saved my phone.

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
That is neither constructive nor useful...

I know that technically you're right but you have to put yourself in his shoes and be compassionate. He tried a software to help MS develop it and his phone, which is not a cheap thing to replace, is now dead. He's angry and it's understandable no matter what he agreed on. Your post is like someone crossing the street, getting hit by a car and you going next to him and instead of helping him just saying "Maybe you should have looked both ways before crossing"

of course I'm compassionate, but blaming Microsoft is not a right attitude. I have been on insider program since beginning and understand my phone can be bricked, and once I had similar problem but in the end i was able to resolve it. And i have posted that later in the thread.

And when it comes to your comparison i would describe it a little different. Imagine someone standing in a middle of very busy road. Most driver would avoid him and he would be safe, but there is always that one ***** who would run him over, Who is to blame then the driver or the the guy who chose to stand n dangerous place. Now imagine his life insurance is like the phone warranty. you loose you leg or arm in this accident, will the insurance company pay out? So in the end only person who choses to use beta software is to blame. If someone in android community bricks their phone because of rooting who is to blame, google because they don't give you root acess straight from the box or person who chosen to do so. If someone tries to flash ios beta and bricks their iphone apple is not the one to be blamed. In the end you have to learn with consequences which came from your own behaviour and not to to blame someone else for it.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I installed build 10572 but had some glitches here and there so i decided to roll back to 8.1 i used Windows Device Recovery Tool and hooked up my Lumia 1320 all went fine untill the point where it checks for security and than it says rolling back has failed! please reboot your device and try again so i rebooted my device (at least i tried to) and it won't turn on anymore (PC recognizes it as DLOAD) Recovery tool can't find it emergency flash doesn't work keeps failing.

So thanks Win10 for destroying my phone.
Assuming you have a job... You know you could just buy a new phone right?

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

So you are saying that after a brick like this the solution is to buy another phone...because MS is to lazy to make a recovery tool that actually works...well partially your are right if the new phone is not another WP.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
So you are saying that after a brick like this the solution is to buy another phone...because MS is to lazy to make a recovery tool that actually works...well partially your are right if the new phone is not another WP.

I would like to see any statistics about that lazy MS tool failure ....:angel:

safariking

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

That is the stupidest solution i have heard here! sorry but Microsoft provides me a tool to roll back and my phone get's bricked so buy a new one that is like buying a car crashing it and oh you have a job you can buy a new one we won't repair it!

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
That is the stupidest solution i have heard here! sorry but Microsoft provides me a tool to roll back and my phone get's bricked so buy a new one that is like buying a car crashing it and oh you have a job you can buy a new one we won't repair it!
I take it you just skipped over the various disclaimers. MS did provide the tool but didn't hold a gun to your head and tell you to use it. When I signed up to the insider prog I understood the risks and tried it on a spare handset. I've rolled back a couple of times with no issue. If i had just the one handset i wouldn't have bothered. I do feel sorry for you but there was an inherent risk and it seems you've been unlucky.

Ian Legarda

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Not to pile on the OP...... but have you tried using another PC? I had issues rolling back to 8.1 on my 830. Recovery Tool did not like the USB ports on my laptop and kept stopping midway through. Tried another laptop and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb