With the new 950 phones about to be released, is it safe to upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile through the insider programme? I have a Nokia Lumia 830.
    10-28-2015 07:39 AM
    Well it can never trully be safe as long as it's in "inside mode".
    It sure is way better than it was before, but there's still a lot of work to do to release the OS.

I'm using a 830 myself with W10M since day one (with lots of backup to Wp8.1), and even tho there are some risks, I would say : yes.
    Really, I'm using my phone way more than before and I really enjoy it more than WP8.1 (except for a few things : Cortana not as responsive, the crashs etc, but that's still part of the program, I'm ok with it)

The only deal-breaker is the batttery-life. Hardly a day if I use it too much.

But it's honestly worth the try now.
    The OS is sort of stable, some apps crash randomly like Copilot GPS or the Outlook Mail client with large mailboxes. Later this week there should be a 10575+ build... That should be fine for a first try.
    Julian Williams2 likes this.
    10-28-2015 07:50 AM
    Well it can never trully be safe as long as it's in "inside mode".
    It sure is way better than it was before, but there's still a lot of work to do to release the OS.

I'm using a 830 myself with W10M since day one (with lots of backup to Wp8.1), and even tho there are some risks, I would say : yes.
    Really, I'm using my phone way more than before and I really enjoy it more than WP8.1 (except for a few things : Cortana not as responsive, the crashs etc, but that's still part of the program, I'm ok with it)

The only deal-breaker is the batttery-life. Hardly a day if I use it too much.

But it's honestly worth the try now.
    10-28-2015 08:01 AM
    It's running well of my 830, but still a fair amount of bugs in apps and the OS. They are improving, however. This build is the best yet, in my experience.

I still think this is good advice (and I mean it in a helpful way):

"If you have to ask, then....No." :)
    10-28-2015 08:03 AM
    From the reviews it sounds like WM10 is ready for the 950. But for legacy phones getting updates, if you read through the forum you will see people are having various problems. It's almost there.
    Since we hope they are going to release a new build this week, I would wait until the new build comes out and keep checking the forums. If it seems good, I would update on Saturday. That's what I'm going to do because this is my daily driver. I'm running 10572 on my L520 and it's ok. Let those people with spare phones do some of the testing before you jump in. Just my opinion.
    10-28-2015 08:20 AM