What happened to USB OTG support for Windows 10 mobile?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe the 950's do indeed support it, handling a USB drive connected to the Continuum dock nicely.

As for existing devices, its less clear.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The 950/XL devices do have USB-OTG. However, you'll need either the Continuum Dock or a 3rd party USB Type C to USB adapter in order to utilize it.

All new devices that have the USB type C connectors are suppose to implement this feature, by my understanding, but I may not be understanding it exactly right, since it hasn't been "plainly explained" by Microsoft how it will work. Hopefully this is something they will address soon with a proper explanation.

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I just saw this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPtIsAujbfI
Do the recently launched L 950 and 950 XL support USB OTG feature? I think that this feature has been scrapped. I don't understand why.......

Lumia 950 and 950xl do have otg, as someone said though you need either usb c to female usb a adapter or usb c type pen drive. As for existing phones, depending on hardwiring they used it is possible existing phone like 930,830 or 640 have this capability but you need new firmware to activate it

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Although Windows 10 supports OTG but it seems that none of the Windows phones today can support this feature. It may be due to some hard wiring. If they supported OTG, someone would have talked about it. This is very unfortunate.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

This much I already knew, but nice to know the 950 is actually being targeted with this. The Acer Jade Primo will also be compatible with that cable for OTG uses.

My big concern is that I would hope to see backwards compatibility. However, as has already been stated, the pins for it may not have been connected to allow for compatibility with existing hardware.

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
My big concern is that I would hope to see backwards compatibility. However, as has already been stated, the pins for it may not have been connected to allow for compatibility with existing hardware.

Which would be a real shame. I think Continuum is a good scenario for a mobile gaming device that would utilise Xbox controllers and achievements. I still don't know why Microsoft don't try and leverage the Xbox brand more on the Lumia line.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
They did with windows phone 7 and 8. The Xbox music app and the Xbox games app were in the OS for quite some time. Microsoft decided to change the names to music and games, dropping the Xbox moniker, as they thought it would confuse people and make them think the phone was an extension of the xbox console.

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
as they thought it would confuse people and make them think the phone was an extension of the xbox console.

Which it really could be if they put in the effort. I wasn't aware Xbox achievements could be collected on Windows Phone for a long time.

Anyway, the latest on OTG from the Microsoft website:

Windows supports many devices, including keyboards, mice, hubs, storage, audio (such as speakers and headsets) and Bluetooth dongles.

Some other devices, such as the Arduino, are also supported. Check with the device manufacturer to see if your device is supported.

To see if your Windows 10 Mobile device supports USB device connections, select Start, enter Settings, select Settings from the list, select Systems > Devices > USB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion