11-27-2015 12:25 AM
1,199 ... 2526272829 ...
tools
    Btw. I reverted to 8.1, did hard reset, uninstalled all uninstallable apps, upgraded to 10572, did hard reset, uninstalled all lumia apps and the bloatware before the store updated it and there I was. Got 10581 now if course, 10572 not available anymore. But maybe it works without hard resetting 10 now.
    Perhaps my problem was that I let all the lumia apps update before upgrading, and did not hard reset before jumping to 10581. Either way, I'm hoping I can get those bits working this weekend, would be nice to not think I'm losing something by upgrading (as presumably whatever process fixes them for this build *should* fix them for retail, in case retail doesn't ship with these features natively).

Btw. I am outdoors right now hand stressing the phone. Will report on stability later! :)
    Ah, I'll cut down on my excessive commentary then :)

I've downloaded a few builds now (including your CV-DE build), and will follow the steps you provided to get up to 10582. I'm not too concerned about my SD card settings for now as I can just manually move my data over at a later date if needed. Wish me luck!
    10-31-2015 09:38 AM
    Wish me luck!
    I do! What I can report so far is that the device gets quite warm while taking photos with Microsoft Camera. Also it shows the saving message with the 2nd picture already.
    10-31-2015 09:47 AM
    Edge is way better than the last build. Battery life is fine.
    10-31-2015 09:51 AM
    Good to hear. Did you try 10572 as well? I upgraded from 8.1 to 10572 and had much the same kind of overall-good experience you had, but when upgrading from 10572 to 10581 I've noticed a few issues. Maybe reverting to 8.1 and upgrading to 10581 directly might help.
    No, I haven't tried a preview since whatever was in fashion in mid-September. That build sucked so much even after a hard reset I said No More until RTM. I changed my mind cause this build got stellar reviews... I probably won't do another update as I sense RTM is a month away if that.
    10-31-2015 10:12 AM
    Edge is way better than the last build. Battery life is fine.
    I agree. I've hated Edge on WM 10. There also seems to be a new thing with the menu at the bottom right. When you touch it to display the options, it shows the hub menu with favorites, history etc. That wasn't the case in the last build.
    10-31-2015 10:15 AM
    24 hours and not a single SMS has been restored. I understand this issue started back during the last build. I've changed every possible setting, and it won't get anything past a few in 2013. I even recovered back to 8.1 to make sure all my texts were there, and it populated years of texts within a few hours. Anyone figure out how to get SMS to restore fully on an ICON?
    10-31-2015 10:19 AM
    Hello, can anyone tell me how the Microsoft camera working? Are we able to open last photo taken as fast as we could in 8.1?
    10-31-2015 10:22 AM
    Yes, it is possible to scroll through the last photos or open the Photos app. Is nearly the same as Lumia Camera now, just integrated better into the OS. But the performance is not yet perfect: Like with the previous build it happened after only 2 photos in a row with 5 sec. between that the Camera would not stop showing "saving..." even though they were already available in the Photos app. Closing Camera would not help, only when I rebooted 5 minutes later.
    10-31-2015 10:29 AM
    1. Close to 24 since the phone was last charged. Battery is just above 85%. Yay! That is big gain.
    2. Switching between apps is back to 8.1 levels (fast).
    3. Edge browser cold start has been improved. Pages load fine and faster than before.
    4. I have Lumia 820 which has only 8GB onboard memory. I had to remove a lot of apps to make space for this update. Surprisingly, Windows was able to determine apps that I removed prior to upgrade. Post upgrade, all my apps were restored back.
    5. Cortana has not been enabled for Indian English. Don't want to switch to US.
    6. Storage option in settings menu has lost the ability to determine free space on on-board memory. I can only see MicroSD card listed. Storage options has been revamped and looks intuitive and interesting. Can say lives up to Windows Mobile standards.

Will post more as I continue to explore.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    10-31-2015 10:31 AM
    same thing happened to me...did factory reset and had backup from earlier date...say instead of 29 Oct, took the back up of 15 oct, and it worked for me.
    10-31-2015 10:36 AM
    I do! What I can report so far is that the device gets quite warm while taking photos with Microsoft Camera. Also it shows the saving message with the 2nd picture already.
    I have discovered a few interesting facts.

Firstly, the brightness configuration setting WAS still there - it only shows you one brightness level if you have the phones brightness level set to Auto. shame on me for deciding just to pull the plug before checking the most basic of things, eh? :)
    I'm glad all it took for me to figure that one out was reflashing my phone to a german rom. Hah!

Speaking of which, the extra space taken up by EN-GB language pack, keyboards, dictionaries etc on top of the German ones that can't be removed, means I've decided to re-re-flash my 8.1 CV-GB build. It's only another 1GB (out of 32GB of onboard flash) difference, but I'd still rather have it for apps/games/etc instead of system files I can't use/have no use of.
    So I'm going to re-re-flash to 02540.00019.15235.40005 and do the steps you outlined.

At the very least it means I've reduced the likelihood of my upgrade from 8.1>10572>10581 from having any funky bugs, it's about as clean as it'll get going from 8.1 to latest build. I'll just need to remember to set my storage settings first.

Cheers!
    10-31-2015 10:37 AM
    Equal number of buttons per row in the action center could be intended as it "looks more polished". I would like other buttons I never use to be kicked out first. But at least all the actions should be selectable as on of the main buttons, therefore I reported it.
    Yes, that's what I meant when I said to report it.

Also, battery life actually seems just slightly worse in this build compared to 10572 and others.

Is anyone having problems with the native DLNA casting system? I can cast using Tubecast or the old Luma Play To because those use their own interface for it, but the native casting system doesn't work, so I can't use Movies & TV to cast anything. Am I the only one?
    10-31-2015 10:38 AM
    Yes, that's what I meant when I said to report it
    Yes, therefore I reported it. :)
    10-31-2015 10:42 AM
    ...There also seems to be a new thing with the menu at the bottom right. When you touch it to display the options, it shows the hub menu with favorites, history etc. That wasn't the case in the last build.
    Yep, it was there a build or two ago. Was for me, anyway...I commented on it. Nice change too.

Anyway, things are still great on my 830 with this build. I did a hard-reset after 24 hours or so just because I wanted to, not because I had to.

Performance is great and much improved. Battery life normal.

My only real issues are:

1) The store: Still buggy and slow. They've come a long way, but still have some work to do.

2) Still getting that "outlook account settings out of date" message from time-to-time.

Of course, still the minor bugs and issues everyone else has already commented on. Overall, they're damn close.
    10-31-2015 10:43 AM
    Cheers!
    Just quoting that one... ;)

Sounds nice! I also remember that there was only one slider for auto and checked that - interestingly I have 3 of them even with auto enabled... until I toggle that auto switch of course, now I also have the single one! ;)
    10-31-2015 10:47 AM
    Lumia 930. Work`s fine.
    Have you tried your camera?

Last build (572) my outdoor shots had highlights blown out and video/rich capture were broken.

In all other respects I loved the build and have 581 on my Lumia 635 - and that works almost as smoothly as what I would expect from the upcoming RTM. Video works; and I can shoot rich capture - but there is still no editing for it yet (video is more important though to me)

If you are having better luck on this build I might take the plunge again..
    10-31-2015 11:02 AM
    Could someone PLEASE help me? Upgrading my lumia phone and the phone turned off. Now when I turn it on it just shows a frowny face. What do I do?
    mevalmvm likes this.
    10-31-2015 11:09 AM
    Could someone PLEASE help me? Upgrading my lumia phone and the phone turned off. Now when I turn it on it just shows a frowny face. What do I do?
    You will need to download the Windows recovery tool to your PC or laptop and restore 8.1 via USB. It's happened to me before. Something got corrupted during the update. The recovery tool will fix you right up!
    10-31-2015 11:13 AM
    Lumia 925 TMoUS

Installed 10581 Fast Ring from 8.1 last night. Had to soft reset to get through "and it'll be worth the wait." Setup finished and Win10 seemed to work pretty well. This morning had configuration update. Installed without issues. Phone still good.

Decided to hard reset to try with a clean slate. Bad idea. Can't connect to Wi-Fi, can't connect with my Microsoft Account. I can make calls. I now have a dumb phone with a pretty face.

Reverting to 8.1.

Criminy, the post editor on this site is horrendous on Edge.
    Works fine in IE with AdBlock Plus installed.
    Last edited by wpguy; 10-31-2015 at 12:28 PM.
    10-31-2015 11:15 AM
    Alright... Hard resetting my Icon now, hopefully "Hey Cortana" works after this...

I noticed that the default camera app was taking pictures in 1920x1080 instead of 16MP, not entirely sure what happened here, but hopefully the hard reset fixes that too.

Also, last night the messaging app crashed and kinda locked up the phone. The touchscreen was unresponsive for about 30 minutes and I had to soft reset the phone several times in order to restore functionality. (Hopefully the hard reset fixes this too...)
    There were a bunch of updates to many of the apps this morning, so the fix for this issue may already be out, not sure on this one.

Not sure if anyone else can confirm this, but when rotating the phone to landscape mode in either direction, the screen flickers as though it is trying to rotate back to portrait. (Hard reset please save me :/ )

Bugs aside, this build is very snappy and is a pleasure to use.
    10-31-2015 11:49 AM
    So far this is awful with the new release. Here's a shot of my new Start menu.build-10581-mess.jpg It's barely usable, if this won't be fixed quickly, I will have to go back to 8.1. This is from an HTC One M8 that had been working will with the prior build.
    10-31-2015 11:49 AM
    So far this is awful with the new release. Here's a shot of my new Start menu.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build 10581 Mess.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	115569 It's barely usable, if this won't be fixed quickly, I will have to go back to 8.1. This is from an HTC One M8 that had been working will with the prior build.
    It's impossible someone not knowing that word famous start screen iussue and easy solution yet, after 48h the release.... XD A little googling, or reading the official Gabe notice... ;)
    10-31-2015 11:53 AM
    So far this is awful with the new release. Here's a shot of my new Start menu. *picture here* It's barely usable, if this won't be fixed quickly, I will have to go back to 8.1. This is from an HTC One M8 that had been working will with the prior build.
    For this bug, my understanding is that you need to try and change the background picture to anything else (you can change it back to the original one after) and it should work

*ninja'd*
    Well I did it for you...
    10-31-2015 11:54 AM
    For this bug, my understanding is that you need to try and change the background picture to anything else (you can change it back to the original one after) and it should work

*ninja'd*
    Well I did it for you...
    Thanks a bunch guys - that worked. I hadn't had time to google yet, and frankly, didn't know what term to describe it. I just woke up and saw the update and the mess, and had to get out and run a call, so no time to mess with it yet.
    10-31-2015 11:56 AM
    Had a pretty good experience with this build so far on my L930, did the update (from 8.1), did hard reset, re-installed all my apps, set up my mail accounts etc. All good. Only thing I've noticed that's not as good as it was before is that Tetris Blitz seems to struggle a bit at times. Everything else seems fine, battery life may even be slightly better than 8.1, it's definitely not worse.

wp_ss_20151031_0001.jpg
    10-31-2015 12:02 PM
1,199 ... 2526272829 ...