The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-27-2015 12:25 AM
1,199 ... 4142434445 ...
tools
    many thanks for the reply especially about the data usage page, hate to do down the platform as I generally really like it and want it to be great

lovely forum here too, very positive and helpful
    gabi tanase and Omoronovo like this.
    11-05-2015 09:15 AM
    Hello and many thanks for your reply that is really useful info (re: offline maps, yes I have turned off automatic updates but still I get the message...)

I am suspecting the proximity sensor is faulty, however I think it's software issues too, for example when the screen is blank after starting a call, if I cover the sensor and then uncover this often makes the screen/proximity feature work again....temporarily

thanks a lot for your help, and sorry if my first post was negative, I really do love Windows Phone (I was a long-time Lumia 800 user before switching to the 930 and I would still be using that phone except I needed Skype) and I'm a Windows/Microsoft fan but I am a little frustrated at having these issues, just want them to finish messing around with the software and make it stable now. My Lumia 930 came with W10 preview already installed and it seemed fine at first but lately it's starting to get in the way of enjoying and using the phone as a phone

thanks again

great forum!
    11-05-2015 09:22 AM
    Im getting error code 0x0000005 when I try to place custom text tones to specific contacts.?
    11-05-2015 09:38 AM
    Does anyone have a working live tile for outlook on wp10. I cannot believe that we are close to release of the 950, 950 xl and we still cannot have a number on the tile to show new email!!!! Yes I know am I in a beta program and yes I expect that things might not work. But why is it that they don't even do the basics!! Yes this build is stable but it has taken awhile to get here and I am still waiting for lots of basics that were in wp8.1 that have been dropped from wp10. Oh hang on maybe that's the whole point, we are going to get a nice static screen so we can be more like android or iOS
    11-05-2015 09:42 AM
    Both my outlook calendar & mail tiles are live yes. Mail shows the number of unread messages, when entering the app, it then dismisses the notification and flips back to the bare outlook icon.
    MarkCSimpson likes this.
    11-05-2015 09:49 AM
    I have been on WP since I got my HTC Radar 4G way back when. I have a L925 now and it's a great phone. I last tried out WM 10 back in June 2015 and it was a mess. I went back to 8.1 and have been happy there for the last several months, with the help of an Android tablet I keep close by for some apps.

I decided to try 10581 out since it's obviously getting relatively close to release. It installed fine, but I'm just not that happy with the OS overall.
    -calendar takes forever to sync to other instances of your calendar (web, desktop, etc), but this is in WP 8.1, too
    -mobile hotspot over wifi is very unstable right now
    -Does not turn on instantly when I press the power button
    - It's quite a bit slower than WP 8.1 when going back to the start screen or backing out of apps. It is slower to open messaging and the dialer, as well.

-I love my desktop Outlook 2016, but I can't stand this version of Outlook - I don't want a semi-unified inbox, I want a truly unified inbox or I want a separate icon on the start menu for each account (if someone has a way to do either, please fill me in!). This is a big deal for me, I really liked having a separate icon for each account on 8.1.

-Notifications don't clear when the action is taken on another device. for instance, if I have a new email notification but then go and read/delete the email on my desktop, the notification on my phone doesn't go away until I go into the app and refresh it manually (WP 8.1 even did this automatically, so maybe it's just a bug)

-Still some apps that I want and some apps that aren't near parity with other OS versions

-Doing txt messages over Bluetooth doesn't work as it did in 8.1 For me, when I got a txt in 8.1 it would alert me through my car's stereo and Cortana would ask if I wanted to take action. If I hit the End Call button on my steering wheel it would turn Cortana off without me having to say "I'm done". Now when I do that it doesn't do anything and Cortana keeps asking what action I want to take - very annoying.

I do like the Edge browser, it's pretty snappy and works well. I like being able to reply to a txt msg from the notification are. I like the quick settings section and how that works. The dialer itself is nice and easy to use. The look and feel are great. Live tiles work more reliably than in 8.1.

I am going to wait for final release before making a final judgement, and I really want to try out the 950 and 950 XL. Hoping they really spiff this up in the next few weeks before it RTMs.
    Last edited by CobaltDragon; 11-05-2015 at 12:00 PM.
    11-05-2015 09:50 AM
    Using 10581 in my Lumia 830. It's mostly good, they have made a massive improvement in the past few months since I last used it, even fixing the text rendering bug introduced in WP8.1 Update 2 (at last!). My favourite part is edge, which was a complete mess in the last build I used. The speed increase from IE in 8.1 is very noticeable.

1. Screen blinks randomly (turns black for half a second, then back to normal). I can't figure out what causes this, but it blinked about 20 times during a music sync in Groove Music.

2. Some app tiles lose their icons. This happens on both the start screen and apps list. Re-pinning to the start screen fixes it, but I haven't found a solution for the missing icons in the apps list.

3. The Store does not check for updates automatically, and the 'Check For Updates' button finds no updates (it shows the icon that it is "working" for about 2 minutes before finding zero updates). The only way I can update any apps is to manually search for them in the app store, or use an edge link for system apps. Has anybody got a solution for this?

4. Windows Camera is rubbish. Photo quality is poor and the 'Rich Capture' option is straight up broken. Sometimes it gets stuck on 'adding the finishing touches' but never actually does anything, which results in a 720p photo with a 'change lighting' option which fails to work. When "adding the finishing touches" it does seem to work, the image created is far too dark, and the option to change lighting doesn't appear... It needs serious work. For now, I'm using Camera360 Sight, which is doing an OK job at creating a usable image.

5. Alarms & Clock app contains no sounds other than "default" which is silent.

6. The PIN entry system on the lock screen is ugly, especially if you are using a lock screen with text on it (which appears underneath the PIN text, making it look a mess). Instead of being transparent; it would be better if the screen moved up (like 8.1), or the PIN pad was coloured (or grey), or if the background becomes blurred.

7. Using the Dialer keypad is excruciatingly slow. Most likely because its searching for contacts with similar numbers, which is nice, but I would prefer a dialer keypad which functions quickly.
    Last edited by chancooluk; 11-05-2015 at 10:24 AM.
    Timm Zahn likes this.
    11-05-2015 10:03 AM
    Hey Cortana working great for me. Phone is sitting on the desk and responds when I say "Hey Cortana". Lumia Icon 10581
    my problem with hey cortana is that it doesnt hear me when it's playing music, so i can't use it to say "next track"
    11-05-2015 10:14 AM
    Works fine on my ancient L920 - small black circle with a white numeral reflecting the number of new (as opposed to unread) emails - exactly as l want it. The only real issues I'm having with this build are with the photo tile (you can now select favorites to be displayed but I haven't found a way to make a photo a favorite); the round rather than square contact photos (ugly); Outlook calendar - pretty much worthless and the tile tells you almost nothing; and, Groove where maybe 10% of my albums are an ugly square with a circle and a dot (this is a problem with the desktop app as well and the ONLY reason I still have iTunes on my computer - right clicking on an album and pasting an image of the album).
    11-05-2015 10:18 AM
    Using 10581 in my Lumia 830. It's mostly good, they have made a massive improvement in the past few months since I last used it, even fixing the text rendering bug introduced in WP8.1 Update 2 (at last!). My favourite part is edge, which was a complete mess in the last build I used. The speed increase from IE in 8.1 is very noticeable.

1. Screen blinks randomly (turns black for half a second, then back to normal). I can't figure out what causes this, but it blinked about 20 times during a music sync in Groove Music.

2. Some app tiles lose their icons. This happens on both the start screen and apps list. Re-pinning to the start screen fixes it, but I haven't found a solution for the missing icons in the apps list.
    (...)
    Have you try to backup, hard reset and restore on your 830?
    11-05-2015 10:32 AM
    How are her traffic and time to leave appointment notifications?
    11-05-2015 10:38 AM
    Another update from my side: Lumia 925
    I made 3 steps:
    Step 1:upgrade from 8.1 to 10 = bad results with lagging and app not working
    as I was not happy I did next try out
    Step 2: hard reset of windows 10 mobile = results OK for daily use but with few bugs and especially navigation app not working I decided to quit
    again I was not happy...next try out
    Step 3: I used recovery tool and restored Lumia 925 = made clean install (NO RESTORE), installed crucial app (Drive+, Mix Radio, ext...), upgrade to windows 10 mobile. After install added few more apps and offline maps
    This latest step is really working great, all app work normally OK (sometimes they crash but no big deal). The build is for me personally on my phone daily driver and it finally work like it should.
    11-05-2015 10:48 AM
    Did a straight install here on a 930 using insider preview. Works fine other than errors for groove and here apps. Here apps still work though so little bother. The autocorrect however is inaccurate compared with 8.1
    11-05-2015 10:51 AM
    Have you try to backup, hard reset and restore on your 830?
    Yes, this is after a reset and restore from backup.
    11-05-2015 10:56 AM
    Does anyone have a working live tile for outlook on wp10. I cannot believe that we are close to release of the 950, 950 xl and we still cannot have a number on the tile to show new email!!!! Yes I know am I in a beta program and yes I expect that things might not work. But why is it that they don't even do the basics!! Yes this build is stable but it has taken awhile to get here and I am still waiting for lots of basics that were in wp8.1 that have been dropped from wp10. Oh hang on maybe that's the whole point, we are going to get a nice static screen so we can be more like android or iOS
    I do not run a wide tile but I am getting new email notifications and the number of new unread on my mid sized tile.
    11-05-2015 11:00 AM
    Do you mean power up instantly of just screen on? My screen comes on instantly, just like my iPhone did. I've never had a phone that powered on instantly.

I have separate icons for all of my outlook inboxes and I keep all 5 bundled together in a separate tile, to take up less room. Just Open outlook and go into each inbox individually and the bottom right icon (...) Pin to start. Each one is a separate live tile and shows the unread email in each inbox. I find the notifications update better than the last build. Not instant, but it does happen. My guess this is more of an email server update push to phone question than the phone OS.

I agree with the apps, but that all about developers wanting to port for windows too. More people buy windows phone the more developers will make apps and make them well.

I just used the TXT over bluetooth at lunch...Works fine in my car using the End Call button, etc now. I didn't on the last build. Cortana evens hears me much better than before. I don't have to yell.

I have to say...I hate the Edge browser, but that probably just me and my love of Chrome. It's just not as intuitive as I'd like. I'll get over it.

But overall,...This build of Win10 is making me much happier than the previous. The last one crashed and was super sluggish. This one is much faster for me and no frozen apps, yet.
    11-05-2015 11:02 AM
    I'm getting the numbers on the small tiles too...
    11-05-2015 11:05 AM
    I can't prove that my second "Hard Reset" faired so much better because I removed my SD card and left the 1520 no choice but to use the native storage, but this build is far more stable and functional in this state.

My favorite improvement is with Hey Cortana. I couldn't get her to function with the first hard reset. (or after the upgrade from 8.1 to 581)
    But now she is listening intently to me! Even from my W10Preview Surface Pro and my Band 2. Admittedly, she is still inconsistent, but when she nails it, my jaw drops. When this stuff gets polished, we are going to do some crazy stuff talking to HAL....ooops, I mean Cortana. :)

And without the SD card, I don't have to be aggravated with the Settings > Storage fiasco this build brings with it.

I'm both patient and optimistic, beyond what I was earlier. I can see where this is going.
    11-05-2015 11:20 AM
    This is the first build that I upgraded to directly from a previous build whereby I didn't feel the need to hard reset the phone. Build 10581 on my Lumia 830 is working just like it should be. I haven't noticed many glitches/nuances and have been using it as my daily driver now since it was released. My only gripe at the moment is with Canadian carriers still ignoring Windows Phones and pushing Blackberry still .. sigh ... Ah well.
    11-05-2015 11:59 AM
    theres no sms alerts for me and no outlook mail notifications in live tile. build 10581. Any ideas? Thanks in advanced
    11-05-2015 12:37 PM
    The only real issues I'm having with this build are with the photo tile (you can now select favorites to be displayed but I haven't found a way to make a photo a favorite);
    Hi.

To make a photo a favourite:

1. Open Photo's App.
    2. Click on the photo you want to make a favourite, so that it opens.
    3. Click the heart icon at the bottom of the display.

I have not found any other way to do it than that.
    LeFreak likes this.
    11-05-2015 12:50 PM
    Hi there,
    I'm having a strange behaviour of Edge browser.
    In the Url/search field I can't type lowercase s q and u letter.
    Uppercase S Q and U are working properly.
    Does anybody else having that problem?
    Tried switching between German and English layout without effect.

Lumia 930
    Yesss Austria

Regards,
    Maxx
    11-05-2015 12:51 PM
    theres no sms alerts for me and no outlook mail notifications in live tile. build 10581. Any ideas? Thanks in advanced
    Hi,

I'm using a Lumia 635. Build 10581. I hard reset after upgrade.

My settings are as follows...
    Within the Outlook Mail app itself:

Press the ellipsis button (...) > Settings > Options. Under the "Notifications" heading 'Show in action centre' is ON and 'Show a notification banner' and 'Play a sound' are both TICKED.

(I am using version 17.6403.42002.0 of the Outlook Mail app.)

Under the phone settings - i.e. Settings > System > Notifications & actions. For Outlook Mail, I have Notifications ON, Show notification banners ON, Keep notifications private on the lock screen OFF, Vibrate if my sound settings support it ON.

If your settings are different to mine above, you could try and change them to that to see if it helps? I'm not sure it will do, but no harm in trying as with these settings my live tile is updated when email arrives, I receive audible notification and there is also a notification in the notification bar.

11-05-2015 01:09 PM
    Hi there,
    I'm having a strange behaviour of Edge browser.
    In the Url/search field I can't type lowercase s q and u letter.
    Uppercase S Q and U are working properly.
    Does anybody else having that problem?
    Tried switching between German and English layout without effect.

Lumia 930
    Yesss Austria

Regards,
    Maxx
    Hi.

Just checked for you. That's a strange one! I'm having no problems with lower case s, q and u in the URL/search bar in Edge. I am using English (United Kingdom) keyboard.

Lumia 635, build 10581.

Regards.
    Maxx5600 likes this.
    11-05-2015 01:14 PM
    sorry but the worse thing is no sms alert under the lock and unlock screen. i receve it only when the messaging app is open on the screen
    11-05-2015 02:09 PM
1,199 ... 4142434445 ...