11-27-2015 12:25 AM
1,199 ... 4243444546 ...
tools
    Do you mean power up instantly of just screen on? My screen comes on instantly, just like my iPhone did. I've never had a phone that powered on instantly.

I have separate icons for all of my outlook inboxes and I keep all 5 bundled together in a separate tile, to take up less room. Just Open outlook and go into each inbox individually and the bottom right icon (...) Pin to start. Each one is a separate live tile and shows the unread email in each inbox. I find the notifications update better than the last build. Not instant, but it does happen. My guess this is more of an email server update push to phone question than the phone OS.

I just used the TXT over bluetooth at lunch...Works fine in my car using the End Call button, etc now. I didn't on the last build. Cortana evens hears me much better than before. I don't have to yell.
    I don't mean to boot up instantly, I mean when the phone is already on, but "asleep" - when I press the power button it takes a good second to light up the display so I can swipe up.

Texting over BT is not working well for me. Hopefully it gets fixed so it works properly with my car.

Thanks for the tip about the Outlook inboxes, that will resolve a big issue for me. As far as it clearing the tile and notification area, it works fine on my Android tablet and on WP 8.1, so I'm guess it's a bug in the software and hopefully gets some attention.
    11-05-2015 02:55 PM
    Has anyone else experienced the screen randomly fizzying out? Some days it's 2 - 4 times other days it never happens. It has started happening in the last few days & I've been running this build for over a week now. A restart is all that is required to fix it & it's only a real problem if it happens & I receive a call. I've tried to take a screen shot but the pic always shows the real goings on underneath all that stripey colour.
    Other than that its a smooth operation compared to the past. Emails still a problem, keypad over the top of text a pain & FB messenger still not working. I would really like to see a fix to storage so I can install my remaining apps.
    Last edited by Captains; 11-05-2015 at 03:47 PM. Reason: additions
    11-05-2015 03:35 PM
    In general it's working well on my unlocked (ATT Branded) Lumia 1020. However, I'm having problems with the hotspot disconnecting under the lock screen. It looks like that's one thing they still need to fix...
    11-05-2015 03:49 PM
    Hi.

To make a photo a favourite:

1. Open Photo's App.
    2. Click on the photo you want to make a favourite, so that it opens.
    3. Click the heart icon at the bottom of the display.

I have not found any other way to do it than that.
    Okay, this is weird. That's what I used to do in 8.1. Just discovered that all my photos through October don't have the heart, just the icons for share, edit and delete. The two photos I have from November 4th (one taken with the L920 the other saved from a text message) have share, favorite, edit and delete. Wonder if this is because the option wasn't there on builds when the older photos were taken.
    11-05-2015 03:51 PM
    No idea why, but today was awful on my battery. My routine is that I start everyday at 100%. Usually have 80%+ left by the time I get home. Today, I was at 20% by lunchtime. By 12:30pm I was at 9%.
    11-05-2015 04:30 PM
    Okay, this is weird. That's what I used to do in 8.1. Just discovered that all my photos through October don't have the heart, just the icons for share, edit and delete. The two photos I have from November 4th (one taken with the L920 the other saved from a text message) have share, favorite, edit and delete. Wonder if this is because the option wasn't there on builds when the older photos were taken.
    I've just checked through a bunch of my photos on the phone. Most of mine have the favourite option to choose, including those taken when using older builds, but a couple only had the "share, edit and delete" options.

So I delved a bit deeper and looked at the file information showing for each photo. Those showing with source as 'SD card' all had the favourite option to choose; those without the favourite option had the source showing as 'OneDrive (Cloud Only)'. It appears the photos may have to be stored on the actual phone storage or SD card to be able to favourite?
    11-05-2015 04:54 PM
    I have sms alert on my lock screen. What phone are you using?
    11-05-2015 05:11 PM
    sorry but the worse thing is no sms alert under the lock and unlock screen. i receve it only when the messaging app is open on the screen
    Hi.

Have you checked that notifications are on for whichever messaging app you are using for SMS? (Settings > System >Notifications & actions).

Have you checked that whichever messaging app you are using for SMS is one of your five quick status apps on lock screen? (Settings > Personalisation > Lock screen).

Do you have battery saver turned on? If so, is the app on the allowed list? (Settings > System >Battery saver > Battery saver settings). It could explain the Outlook Mail problem you mentioned earlier as well.

Regards.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    11-05-2015 05:13 PM
    920, already on 10581 for a week plus.
    Received an update from Fast Ring this morning. Everything completed within 20 minutes.
    I have no idea what is this update about.
    Nothing changes, and Notification action (4 quick toggles) still not able to modify.
    11-05-2015 05:16 PM
    After a few days with new build so far ok..
    Texting is tiresome auto correct blows balls..
    Cortana is ok yet she needs more improvement
    11-05-2015 06:11 PM
    I've just checked through a bunch of my photos on the phone. Most of mine have the favourite option to choose, including those taken when using older builds, but a couple only had the "share, edit and delete" options.

So I delved a bit deeper and looked at the file information showing for each photo. Those showing with source as 'SD card' all had the favourite option to choose; those without the favourite option had the source showing as 'OneDrive (Cloud Only)'. It appears the photos may have to be stored on the actual phone storage or SD card to be able to favourite?
    Okay, that may well be it. I checked the file info and noted the pictures that do not have the heart icon are indeed "OneDrive (cloud only)." I assumed they were local having taken the pictures on the Lumia but then, of course, with some of the more recent updates having required a return to 8.1 and all files having been flushed the photos would not be local. I turned off "Show my cloud-only content from One-Drive" and sure enough, there were only two pictures stored on my device - both of which had the favorite icon. I can deal with this. Do really appreciate your help.
    anon(9603734) likes this.
    11-05-2015 06:42 PM
    In general it's working well on my unlocked (ATT Branded) Lumia 1020. However, I'm having problems with the hotspot disconnecting under the lock screen. It looks like that's one thing they still need to fix...
    I also use 1020 running 10581. mobile hotspot was not working at all a couple of days ago - none of my devices could connect to it. But it seems quite okay today. Weird.
    Last edited by cliac; 11-05-2015 at 08:09 PM.
    11-05-2015 07:45 PM
    I have 581 running on my throwdown-backup-GuineaPig-$60-L640 and it IS my internet gateway away from the office. So Mobile Hotspot works dead solid. Hours on end. And it must because If it didn't, I'd be forced to roll back.
    I'm guessing different phones\firmware behave differently with 581, since many folks are finding the Hotspot function unreliable.
    11-05-2015 08:41 PM
    Question:

Is anyone dealing with Messaging not working? It was working earlier, but now I see nothing. It always shows no messages, and it seems nothing is getting out. This was before the app update with Skype today (which I assume overlaps into the messaging app).

Thanks,
    Kelly
    11-05-2015 09:25 PM
    I just got some sort of "insider configuration update" (what's that?). I checked Edge; it got a little further ( I saw a browser window for like one second) but still dumped back to home screen.
    11-05-2015 09:31 PM
    Question:

Is anyone dealing with Messaging not working? It was working earlier, but now I see nothing. It always shows no messages, and it seems nothing is getting out. This was before the app update with Skype today (which I assume overlaps into the messaging app).

Thanks,
    Kelly
    Mine is working but in a strange way. I had made sure to sync messages while on 8.1 and then went to 10581 with no hard reset. Now all my messages before I jumped to 10581 appear twice. Both sent and received.

Weird issue but I don't mind much
    SOMEnameItried likes this.
    11-05-2015 10:55 PM
    It is an Insider Fast Configuration Update. It may be some kind of patch or bug fix..
    11-06-2015 03:04 AM
    -calendar takes forever to sync to other instances of your calendar (web, desktop, etc), but this is in WP 8.1, too
    It takes up to 20 minutes max. to sync., because these kind of background tasks are only running once every 20 minutes (I believe) which allows you to take your phone with you, instead of being constantly near a power outlet, to charge your device.

-I love my desktop Outlook 2016, but I can't stand this version of Outlook - I don't want a semi-unified inbox, I want a truly unified inbox or I want a separate icon on the start menu for each account (if someone has a way to do either, please fill me in!). This is a big deal for me, I really liked having a separate icon for each account on 8.1.
    I actually like it better then 8.1.
    Yes there is a possibility to pin every inbox separately to the start screen.
    In your mail app, click the hamburger until you have your accounts visible, long press on an account => pin to start.

Edit: A solution for this was already mentioned.....
    Last edited by M7H; 11-06-2015 at 05:54 AM.
    11-06-2015 05:34 AM
    Very well indeed!
    Nothing at all to complain, and even the Windows Central app now works properly (don't know why exactly..)

Can only get even better :)
    11-06-2015 08:13 AM
    Since I upgraded from 8.1 Denim, (ATT) on a Lumia 1020, to b10581. it has been mostly reliable and I love the graphical transitions, but here is what I have noticed, being new to the Insider program this week:
    1) What happened to the "Maps" application? My icon for this application is no longer in app list (the Lumia Camera app disappeared as well - more on this below). All of my favorite place pins on my start screen were broken as a result of this application vanishing. Did MSFT remove it? Was it in previous builds and what is the plan for the RTM and the Maps app? My biggest concern is that there is no "Default Apps" menu which would allow me to set a particular application (like Navigon or HERE) as my map app. Also of major concern to me is that I had to start using HERE Maps which does not see all of my favorite places so I'd love for someone to answer these questions (bring me up to speed) on this one!

2) The Lumia Camera is gone and the new built-in app apparently has integrated Lumia Camera features. This app is definitely buggy and bracketing mode needs to be switchable on the main app screen instead of within settings. Once you are in bracketing mode, you have to leave the app and re0enter it to reset the camera which is silly. It does start quicker now than it did in 8.1 but it is definitely beta software as it crashed on me twice while trying to take photos last night.

3) The Photos App is pretty slick but needs more refinement, starting with the Page heading fonts - "COLLECTION", "ALBUMS" and "FOLDERS" - they need to find something nicer than the fonts they are currently using. Next, there is no way that I can see to share an album. I can share individual photos from an album but not the whole thing. I envision being able to share a link to an album on Onedrive but see no way to do this at present.

4) Alarms - Wow, what happened to this app? It has degraded into really unreliable software. Monday I had duplicates of every single alarm on my 1020 and the app would not respond to the delete command, then yesterday every single alarm (none of which were working anyway) disappeared on its own so this morning, I created a new one and tested it - it worked! But, when I tried to change the ringtone for my alarm to something other than Default, it crashed. The other additions to this app are mind-blowingly cool - I look forward to the stability improvements in the alarm app but the other components (stopwatch, timer, world clock) are GRAAVVYY!

5) Lockscreen issues - when I receive a notification and my phone is locked, W10M almost always forgets about the notification and takes me to the Start screen instead. It actually was pretty funny at first but became pretty annoying after several occurrences. I use a pin to unlock my phone and disabling this is a dealbreaker for me so I just hope that MSFT fixes it soon but for now, I can live with it.

6) General app responsiveness seems to be GREAT! I have a couple of games that I've tried and battery life seems much greatly improved while running those games.

7) I love the new Outlook mobile email and calendar! They are true love BUT...I really wish there was a way to see ALL email in one inbox with this version of Windows Phone. I have 8 email accounts.....nuff said. If anyone can point me to the option that turns this on! Thank you in advance!!! Also, what happened to tasks? If this is truly an Outlook application, where did the Tasks go? This is a rhetorical question because as I see it, this is not a true "Outlook" client experience because my categories are not there, either. I think MSFT meant to say "Outlook.com" Mobile when they marketed this one. /end-rant

8) The new SETTINGS menu is missing the applications section - I touched on this earlier with the missing "Default Apps" page for settings apps like Mapping, music & PDF. I was also kind of expecting to see printing capability as well. Does anyone know if this was ever discussed for W10M?

9) Messaging - Looks good and has nice options to switch between Skype and text on the fly. The arrangement of the command buttons seem pretty good to me, I like way you can load different language packs for the keyboard on the fly. I'm still not crazy about that arrow pointer thing, I play with it just to try to get comfortable with it but it still seems easier to tap on the text to get where I need to go. I'm just glad that the old cursor drag function was NOT removed for this build and I hope it stays. Most importantly though I hoped that MSFT would implement a webOS style conversation thread that used image thumbnails. Is this not desired in the user community?

This build so far has definitely been good enough to be my daily driver despite the issues encountered thus far and I am very excited about this release of Windows Mobile to the masses. I just hope MSFT can iron out all of the inconsistent bugs that are plaguing so many insiders right now.
    11-06-2015 08:15 AM
    With 581 I lost Cortana notifications of msgs, etc, that I had with previous build. Can't train Cortana on my 930.
    11-06-2015 10:31 AM
    sorry but the worse thing is no sms alert under the lock and unlock screen. i receve it only when the messaging app is open on the screen
    Yep, I'm seeing this too, thanks for posting
    11-06-2015 10:36 AM
    So after the new slow motion camera was announced yesterday, I took the plunge again and am pleasantly surprised! 576 to 581 is a night vs day difference in my Lumia 930.
    4K Video recording works again!
    Image quality is up to par!
    And the slow mo camera is spooky!
    Photo plugin also restored the video extraction I liked that use to be Lumia Moments.
    My only criticism is that while it appears to shoot Rich Capture, everytime I hit the edit, the screen reverts back to the main camera and won't allow me to post adjust the light levels. I'd like to see this corrected, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Good job Msft!!!!

Best part - I didn't even have to hard reset after the upgrade! Can't wait for 586 to roll out.
    Last edited by antiochian2010; 11-06-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    11-06-2015 10:44 AM
    Through reverting to 8.1 and upgrading directly to 10581 and hard resetting I've gotten a bunch of the issues cleared (Hey Cortana, etc.). I now have only a couple of issues, the main thing is:

1) I can only use Cortana to text only certain contacts. When I type "text <contact>", the ones that work will show the dialog about what to enter appropriately. The ones that don't will cause Cortana to appear to crash. It seems that when I link Facebook contacts to the contact I'm texting, it can cause it to crash. Has anyone else noticed that? I've had to unlink my wife's FB account from the rest of her accounts in order to text her via Cortana.
    11-06-2015 10:52 AM
    I have Hey Cortana working really well from the Band 2, the 1520 on 581, and the SP2 on TH2. But, and it IS a "but", I create new contacts with friendly Hey Cortana names, to increase her success. I then link those contacts to the existing ones and make sure the cell phone number is ONLY in the friendly Contact. Hey Cortana is pretty good, even at this early W10, if you dumb things down a bit.
    I realize most folks would consider this a hassle and not worth it. But I like to test drive and the effort is part of the enjoyment.
    11-06-2015 11:25 AM
1,199 ... 4243444546 ...