Who's got build 10581? How's it working for you?

Petru Moldovan

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Who manages resources, decides and handles app suspension, instructs apps to free up memory "if and when it is needed"? Who does this if it is "not a task for the OS"? Especially when you claim that the user does not have to take care of the environment beeing filled up with garbage. But it does not seem that the OS knows better than me, which apps I am using and which ones I just open to look something up, it will simply close the oldest one if it runs out of resources. This can be really annoying and happens all too often if you are heavily using the device, even on the 1520 with 2 GB. Showing the OS which apps are not needed anymore just helps it to close the right ones.

I agree on the 1-N back statement, although it depends on the app. However, a convenient method to close an app is missing, when you still got the convenient method to keep the app open pressing the home key, which I also use where needed. The false statement from another guy about the shortened time to bring up task view made me hope, but I could of course imagine better ways than using the back button. Just have a look at tablet mode on the PC. I really have no problem to learn something new, but it should make sense. Current behavior on mobile just looks messed up.

In a team?

I did not even start it. Seriously, with the exception of the start screen on the 820 just hanging after boot, I do not understand all the complaints about loading/resuming screens, also from earlier W10M builds, how does it come to your mind? ;) And I was always happy with performance and battery life, do not even need a battery pack for a heavy day of geocaching! I am not complaining about anything else than a step back in usability.

It's quite and simple starting from Windows 8 all Windows mobile or Xbox or desktop or on IoT or on everything: if a program which is downloaded from the store or side-loaded from the company (aka new apps, not the old desktop apps) which is not explicitly allowed to work in the background either when installed or later through Settings when loosing the focus will get an event to save its state and after 5 seconds it will be suspended. This means stalled. This means zero processing time. This makes great WP8 mobile above Android. If the OS needs that memory it will eventually get rid of that process and the process when is resuming it will get message that is restarted, and if the process is still in the memory it will get a message that it is resuming. Now depending on the abilities of the programmers the resume to memory compared to resume from restarting from storage and re-initializing the program can be a much faster process.
I am just an IT guy who is doing admin stuff on MS infrastructure and was doing developer things on MS platform 8-10 years ago, but I think I know what I am saying.

rgosh

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that the navigation bar does not go away when swiping up from the bottom on some of the apps?
Had this on the previous build but was expecting it to be taken care in the current build.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Nice find! As 250% is standard on the 1520, it defaults to the 15 icons and I am also missing VPN. Although it looks far better now (defragmented :)), I also would like to have the choice of selecting it as one of the 5 buttons.
Yeah, that seems like it would be a pretty decent workaround to me. I ended up just pinning the VPN setting to the start menu, which also works but takes up some unnecessary space.

I do agree it looks better now though, so I understand their reasoning for this design.

jasonprahl

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Installed on HTC One M8 from Windows 8.1
Install took about 45 minutes. There was a period where the screen was totally black for about 3 or 4 minutes. Freaked me out. Found out later from Gabe Aul's blog post that it is expected from this build. After install it's running beautifully. Can't speak to battery life yet since I've only had it running for a couple of hours so far. All of my apps seem to be working perfectly. I haven't done a hard reset. Loving this build so far.

Michael2525

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that the navigation bar does not go away when swiping up from the bottom on some of the apps?
Had this on the previous build but was expecting it to be taken care in the current build.

Just found out that mine 640 has the same issue :-( annoying!

sncboom2k

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
3 more noticeable issues with the HTC One M8:

1) Take a picture and the camera freezes the pic on the screen. Cannot get back to camera for another picture unless you exit and re-open or view the pic from the small icon in the top left of the screen then close it. Anyone know how to resolve this? It did this in the last build as well. HTC Camera works fine but you cannot pin this one to the start screen. The option is greyed out. (After a hard reset, camera app is still freezing.)

2) When selecting pictures from the library for a SMS - sometimes it does not select the one you tap on. Example: I click the top left pic and it selects the next row down center pic. A reboot fixes that quite annoying. (After hard reset this has not happened yet - will keep an eye on it.)

3) Flashlight from the action center works sometimes. Other times it just flashes on then off.
(After hard reset seems to be working fine.)

Battery life seems only minorly improved with this build. My phone is only lasting about 2/3 the day without needing a charge. On 8.1 it lasted all day. On the last build of Win 10 it didn't last 1/2 the day. (I use the phone as a phone more than anything else.)

Mobile Hot Spot works just fine.

I'm going to try a hard reset since these seem to have been in the last build as well. Let's see how it goes.
After hard reset - camera still freezes. Will keep an eye on battery life. See other notes for hard reset above.

Last edited:

costas60

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Upgrading from 8.1 to 10 and it runs much smoother. Although the text is sometimes easier to read on 8.1 (bolder and/or larger).
However, I have an annoying issue. I keep on getting wifi notifications, is there some way to turn these of? It's not showing in the notification center settings.
the wifi is set to turn automaticaly on after one hour
set that to turn manually

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
@Petru Moldovan: It was never questioned, but thanks for another explanation about that it is faster to resume an already open process than to reinitialize it... The only concern is this:

If the OS needs that memory it will eventually get rid of that process

If I can help the OS to collect the garbage and prefer to keep actively used content, why shouldn't I do so?

jmbezeau

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It feels very nice, but I can't select a SMS ringtone for a contact. It shows the dialog but I only see phone ringtones. If I go to select a default ringtone, I get the right list but not for a contact. Anyone else seeing this? This bug has been there ever since they added customized ringtone for a contact.

Amit Kinger

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Tried to update to 10581 Fast Ring from 10536 but got sad smiley on my 1520 and now nothing happening. Can anyone please tell me what to do. WDRT is not recognizing the phone, have tried for last 2 hours.

Thanks!

amaru94xD

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I have no complains about the new build on my lumia icon, the only thing that i hate is that after resetting my phone Touchscreen Wont work not even the input buttons under the screen only the volume, power and camera keys.. i have to soft reset my phone around three times to make it work. :/

Jatin Kapoor2

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
What i've also noiticed on 1020 is that the Messaging app crashes at times. When i am dialing a number ,there's a hiccup for a second between the 1st and the 2nd number pressed which is kind of irritating. I agree to the rest of the things you said. It's snappy and stable.

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
L1320. Couldn't 'upgrade' from previous version, had to roll back to 8.1. Yes, I know I'm on an 'older' device, but previous preview ran really well on. This one constantly freezes on the start screen. Can still operate using Bluetooth, which is strange! I have had to reset twice this evening. Also, as in last build, Cortana incredibly slow to read text messages and doesn't update flight info, news etc. It's fine after a reset for a few minutes then the expanding circles stop. Maybe it's a firmware issue, after all, I doubt these are device specific. Let's hope things improve further. In the meantime, back to the old faithful 8.1. Shame as I liked the way things are going.

Same here (Lumia 1320) with the start screen freezing issue.

I hope the 1320 will be focused on later in fixing this issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss