Who's got build 10581? How's it working for you?

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Been running the latest build on my L930 for a few days now, things I've noticed so far...

Not getting notifications on the lock-screen for Outlook/Emails. But it does show the notification icon at the top of the screen, just not the one at the bottom that would normally show the no. of emails etc.

Whatsapp doesn't seem to be working correctly, have to actually open the app for it to retrieve messages.

Sending a photo as an attachment in Outlook takes longer than it used to on 8.1 - sits on Outlook splash screen for a few seconds, not a major issue, but a bit slower than before is all.

The new style of the unlock screen is a bit messy, it would look nicer if the background lockscreen image and text faded and blurred on swipe up, so that when entering the PIN, it looks better. The way it is currently, where it says "Enter PIN", it appears over the top of other text I have on the lock-screen, making it looks messy.

Overall, liking this latest build very much. If anyone has any ideas about Whatsapp and the Outlook notifications, I'd be very happy to try any suggestions.

Thanks.

Tactik

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Going to have to disagree with you. On my Primary desktop, I tried USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 ports on it, still the same results. Even tried it at my work laptop, USB 3.0 ports, tried all 3 on this machine and the same result.

The Phone will show "slow charging" (even though my USB 3.1 ports support Quick charge), no drive will show up, or nothing in the device manager.

The phone is going in a charge only mode, is there a **new** setting someplace to change this ? (Android devices have this option, a sync, charge and another option when connecting via usb)

Maybe not for you but, it's a BUG or a setting someplace.... Anyone know for sure ?

Edit: To be 100% sure, I removed ALL Nokia drivers from (programs and features) Windows and rebooted, same result (no applications made by Nokia are installed)

I plugged my 1020 into my windows 10 desktop, USB 3.0, notification asked me what I wanted to do, I ignored it, it automatically recognized it as another windows 10 device and made it accessible through Windows Explorer.

I tried it on my Windows 10 laptop. same results (clean install never connected before), as well as my Venue Pro 11 tablet all with the same results. It prompted me asking what I wanted to do.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
On settings > devices > usb, does it state that your phone supports chargers *and* pc connections? Sorry if I sounded harsh earlier, but I was certain this was the issue since it affected me until I remembered to unlock my device.

For reference, I only receive the "slow charging" issue if it's connected at usb 1.1 speeds. Those ports only allow 100ma (0.5W) of power. This could indicate an issue with the cable, the usb port on the device - or, like you said - a bug. When restoring to 8.1, does the issue remain?

settings > devices > usb

there is 2 options, 1 to warn when connecting to a slow charger and the other claims "Ask me before allowing other PCs to connect to my moble device using USB" , This slider does nothing, I even tried to reboot in-between swapping, Turned on, rebooted phone, Plugged into PC, NOTHING, Turned off, Rebooted Phone, plugged into PC, nothing.

Both on, both off, no change....and still cant connect to the PC

Slow charge is a bug too, I connected it to my OFFICAL quick charge 2.0 car charger and it showed the "slow charge" message.

Go to Settings/Devices/USB
There are two toggles there. One of them may be what you're looking for.

Right, they do nothing, that is why I am posting here...

Am I the ONLY one with this issue ?

I don't know if it is a bug. What I'm 100% sure, this "issue" happened to me a couple of times, and it was a PC issue. Restarting did the thing.

On 3 different computers ? 2 Of them removed all Nokia drivers and rebooted them, still the same issue ?

Bug, not sure, I am here just looking for a work-a-round for this, I need to get pictures and stuff on/off my phone with out going to the "cloud"

Brett Sites

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Spent the weekend with this as my daily driver. It doesn't drain the battery as fast as it used to BY FAR and is almost as good as Win8.1 with power consumption. It doesn't have the overheating issues as bad as previous builds, but when installing software or using it for a while it heats up. It also seems to heat up on certain chargers I have, but not all. My Anker chargers seem to cause it to get warm, but other chargers and even a USB cable to the computer seem to keep the temp cool. Groove works great. My LG wireless headset works great with using Hey, Cortana. (I wasn't able to go through the Cortana setup, tho.) Overall, very pleased.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Any/All Lumia 930 Owners Running this Build:

Can you Shoot 4K Video?

If not 4K, can you shoot ANY resolution Video?

Can you shoot and edit levels for Rich Capture?

Image Quality - Has this improved since 576 - highlights not blown out on outdoor shots or still a problem?

Thanks much!

Omoronovo

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
settings > devices > usb

there is 2 options, 1 to warn when connecting to a slow charger and the other claims "Ask me before allowing other PCs to connect to my moble device using USB" , This slider does nothing, I even tried to reboot in-between swapping, Turned on, rebooted phone, Plugged into PC, NOTHING, Turned off, Rebooted Phone, plugged into PC, nothing.

Both on, both off, no change....and still cant connect to the PC

Slow charge is a bug too, I connected it to my OFFICAL quick charge 2.0 car charger and it showed the "slow charge" message.

Right, they do nothing, that is why I am posting here...

Am I the ONLY one with this issue ?

On 3 different computers ? 2 Of them removed all Nokia drivers and rebooted them, still the same issue ?

Bug, not sure, I am here just looking for a work-a-round for this, I need to get pictures and stuff on/off my phone with out going to the "cloud"

I was referring to the message at the top of the page, not the sliders. Also, you have not clarified if this issue is *actually specific to Windows Phone 10* by seeing if your charging and pc connectivity is fixed when restoring to Windows Phone 8.1.

What has your upgrade path been? Did you go straight from 8.1 to 10581, or have you made multiple interim updates? Have you hard reset your phone (not soft reset ie reboot, but a hard reset from settings > about > reset phone).

If you're using a power-only device (the nokia quick charger) and STILL getting the low charge problem then it narrows the problem down, as I said before, to either your phone (hardware), your cable (hardware) or your Phone OS (software). So far you've not told us what steps you've taken to actually try to rule out those possibilities.

For now, you should, in order:

In order to transfer stuff off your phone, install Sharefolder Explorer or Total Commander apps from the store. It will allow you to move any data stored on your phone to a network drive. As long as you can connect to wifi this gives you the opportunity to at least copy your personal data before doing the following steps.

1. Try alternate charging/usb cables. As I assume you've tried this, you can then move on to step 2.
  2. Hard reset the phone to ensure that no issues have arisen during the upgrade. Check if the problems persist after the reset. If the problems remain, do step 3.
  3. Restore to 8.1 using WDRT and check if the problems are still there. If they are gone, then try upgrading to 10581 again since this implies that your previous upgrade has simply not worked properly. If the problems are still there on 8.1 then it indicates a physical hardware problem. You should attempt to contact a local repair center.

I hope this at least helps you narrow down the problem. Remember, you shouldn't be testing pre-release software if you're unwilling to do occasional diagnostic steps to actually narrow down a problem. As such, you have only yourself to blame if you have no other copies of any images, documents, videos or music that are important to you, on a device you're using to test such pre-release software. Simply telling people about how terrible it is does not really help. Thanks.

Last edited:

abduz

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Been running the latest build on my L930 for a few days now, things I've noticed so far...

Not getting notifications on the lock-screen for Outlook/Emails. But it does show the notification icon at the top of the screen, just not the one at the bottom that would normally show the no. of emails etc.

Whatsapp doesn't seem to be working correctly, have to actually open the app for it to retrieve messages.

Sending a photo as an attachment in Outlook takes longer than it used to on 8.1 - sits on Outlook splash screen for a few seconds, not a major issue, but a bit slower than before is all.

The new style of the unlock screen is a bit messy, it would look nicer if the background lockscreen image and text faded and blurred on swipe up, so that when entering the PIN, it looks better. The way it is currently, where it says "Enter PIN", it appears over the top of other text I have on the lock-screen, making it looks messy.

Overall, liking this latest build very much. If anyone has any ideas about Whatsapp and the Outlook notifications, I'd be very happy to try any suggestions.

Thanks.

I'm simply not being able to sync my mail or Microsoft account at all, it was working fine the first two days after installing the build, then it just randomly started this oddness.

As for WhatsApp, I had the same issue, I backed up, uninstalled, restarted my 930, then reinstalled and notifications have been working fine, so try that out and hope it sorts it out for you as well.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I was referring to the message at the top of the page, not the sliders. Also, you have not clarified if this issue is *actually specific to Windows Phone 10* by seeing if your charging and pc connectivity is fixed when restoring to Windows Phone 8.1.

What has your upgrade path been? Did you go straight from 8.1 to 10581, or have you made multiple interim updates? Have you hard reset your phone (not soft reset ie reboot, but a hard reset from settings > about > reset phone).

If you're using a power-only device (the nokia quick charger) and STILL getting the low charge problem then it narrows the problem down, as I said before, to either your phone (hardware), your cable (hardware) or your Phone OS (software). So far you've not told us what steps you've taken to actually try to rule out those possibilities.'

The message that shows only "slow connection"

Went from 10 from 10549 (think that was before ***72), after the upgrade, I had a handful of issues, so I did a hard reset on 10581. Then resotred from my backup. Only think I can think of, I had it pugged in 100% of the time when doing the upgrade (past upgrades would kill the battery in under 1 hour, from 100%).

For now, you should, in order:

In order to transfer stuff off your phone, install Sharefolder Explorer or Total Commander apps from the store. It will allow you to move any data stored on your phone to a network drive. As long as you can connect to wifi this gives you the opportunity to at least copy your personal data before doing the following steps.

1. Try alternate charging/usb cables. As I assume you've tried this, you can then move on to step 2.
  2. Hard reset the phone to ensure that no issues have arisen during the upgrade. Check if the problems persist after the reset. If the problems remain, do step 3.
  3. Restore to 8.1 using WDRT and check if the problems are still there. If they are gone, then try upgrading to 10581 again since this implies that your previous upgrade has simply not worked properly. If the problems are still there on 8.1 then it indicates a physical hardware problem. You should attempt to contact a local repair center.

I hope this at least helps you narrow down the problem. Remember, you shouldn't be testing pre-release software if you're unwilling to do occasional diagnostic steps to actually narrow down a problem. As such, you have only yourself to blame if you have no other copies of any images, documents, videos or music that are important to you, on a device you're using to test such pre-release software. Simply telling people about how terrible it is does not really help. Thanks.

Tried different computers, tried different cables (4 different ones), The phone was already hard reset.

Not sure I can say it's a hardware problem, it worked 100% on 10549, after the upgrade, pugging it in charges the phone.

Everything else is working fine now after the hard reset besides the USB connection, it just really stinks that I have to go through 2-3 hours of app re-installs again just because of a BUG...

I know this time I will leave it on the wireless charger when upgrading instead of leaving it on a fast charge port on my PC....ugh...

Omoronovo

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The message that shows only "slow connection"

Went from 10 from 10549 (think that was before ***72), after the upgrade, I had a handful of issues, so I did a hard reset on 10581. Then resotred from my backup. Only think I can think of, I had it pugged in 100% of the time when doing the upgrade (past upgrades would kill the battery in under 1 hour, from 100%).

Tried different computers, tried different cables (4 different ones), The phone was already hard reset.

Not sure I can say it's a hardware problem, it worked 100% on 10549, after the upgrade, pugging it in charges the phone.

Everything else is working fine now after the hard reset besides the USB connection, it just really stinks that I have to go through 2-3 hours of app re-installs again just because of a BUG...

I know this time I will leave it on the wireless charger when upgrading instead of leaving it on a fast charge port on my PC....ugh...

Thanks for the update. I guess I'd still recommend downgrading to 8.1 to see if the problem remains, it would still be nice to try to rule that out for you.

It's definitely possible that during the Windows 10 upgrade your phone has been damaged by the fast charge usb port on your machine. Most windows phones can only handle 10-12.5W but Fast Charge specifies up to 36W. I have never upgraded my phone with it being charged in such a way, so I have no idea if this could be responsible.

Devan Hammack

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if it is a bug. What I'm 100% sure, this "issue" happened to me a couple of times, and it was a PC issue. Restarting did the thing.

Actually, what I've found is that its the USB cable that's being used. Sometimes they fray or break inside, causing faulty or no connection.
Try a new USB cable and it will work.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update. I guess I'd still recommend downgrading to 8.1 to see if the problem remains, it would still be nice to try to rule that out for you.

It's definitely possible that during the Windows 10 upgrade your phone has been damaged by the fast charge usb port on your machine. Most windows phones can only handle 10-12.5W but Fast Charge specifies up to 36W. I have never upgraded my phone with it being charged in such a way, so I have no idea if this could be responsible.

Well, if it fried the USB port...that would suck but, I dont think that is it (I hope not, out of warranty now). Others have claimed this issue, so it's not just me but, no resolve right now.

Just dreading Nuking again... When EVEYTHING besides this works perfect so far.. wish there was a hack to fix it or something so I can stick with it.

I'll just hard reset, not restore and see if it works, if it does, I will hard reset again and restore... I need to restore, I cant start over right now, 3-4 hours for apps to reinstall, now if I had to go through the list, pick them one by one and set each of them up.... we are talking 5-10 hours...not willing to do that right now (maybe when RTM hits)...

So much for free time tonight :(

Unless someone else has something to try ?

Devan Hammack

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Going to have to disagree with you. On my Primary desktop, I tried USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 ports on it, still the same results. Even tried it at my work laptop, USB 3.0 ports, tried all 3 on this machine and the same result.

The Phone will show "slow charging" (even though my USB 3.1 ports support Quick charge), no drive will show up, or nothing in the device manager.

The phone is going in a charge only mode, is there a **new** setting someplace to change this ? (Android devices have this option, a sync, charge and another option when connecting via usb)

Maybe not for you but, it's a BUG or a setting someplace.... Anyone know for sure ?

Edit: To be 100% sure, I removed ALL Nokia drivers from (programs and features) Windows and rebooted, same result (no applications made by Nokia are installed)

Actually, what I've found is that its the USB cable that's being used. Sometimes they fray or break inside, causing faulty or no connection.
Try a new USB cable and it will work.
Last week I was in Vegas trying to copy over ringtones to my SD card, but the drives wouldn't show up.
I tried two different USB cables. Neither worked. I restarted my Surface pro.. nothing.

I went off a hunch and purchased a new USB cable (actually, its not a hunch, this has happened before), and voila! it worked like a charm.
Make sure you have a good USB cable.. .simple as that.

Alfonso Rubalcava

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I sat out the previous build because I didn't want to go back to 8.1 and this new build has been like night and day on my 925.

Most everything seems to be working properly. Start up of apps is quick and movement is smooth. Battery now close to what I had with 8.1 and doesn't heat up unless used for extended periods and even then, it's not as prominent.

Initially had issues with apps not starting up and/or shuting down as soon as they started up, but after a day or two, they seem to be gone.Still having issues with txt notifications not showing up on start screen.

Overall very satisfied with this build and looking forward to the finished product....and the 950 XL

Olaf Dennison1

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Love this new build, so stable. As everyone says the battery is much better...my only problem now is Cortana doesn't seem to be working properly now. Opening up she says 'Sorry, Suggestions aren't available in your region yet' Now I know my region and Speech settings are set to the United States also so not sure where the problem is. Gonna maybe do a soft reset and see how it goes, not gonna bother with a hard reset, too much bother. Anyway this build is great, one of my favourites is groove player, it works great now. A bug here and there but otherwise great

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb