Custom SMS tones in Win10 Mobile?

jonnymay

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed, I have searched the forums and can't find a reference to this issue.

I am running Win 10 Mobile Build 10572 on Lumia 640 LTE. I can load custom ringtones and SMS tones (via USB cable, but not via native file explorer). However, even if I assign a custom SMS tone to a contact, if I receive an SMS from that contact the default SMS tone plays. I can change the default, and it will play whatever default SMS tone I've assigned, but it won't take the next step and play the SMS tone that's assigned to a specific contact.

So:
1) Can't load ringtones and SMS tones via native file explorer (i.e., download from OneDrive app and place in Ringtones folder on phone). Tones loaded this method will not show up in selector when choosing/assigning a ringtone.
2) Can assign unique SMS tones to specific contacts, but phone will only play default SMS tone (whatever that is - it can be changed) and not the tone assigned to that contact.

Anybody else having issues like this? Is this a known issue I just haven't found a thread on?

Thanks,

JMay

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Same boat for me - I just assumed they don't have custom notification tones yet. Custom ringtones work for contacts - just not SMS

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
They have to be named ringtones in the properties. The apps I've downloaded like melodia and zedge have notification sounds that I've been able to apply for sms sounds and notification sounds on apps

tomcox76

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with custom sms tones and ringtones not working after they are assigned to specific contacts on my phone. Does anyone know a work around or fix for this? I am using the new 10581 build on a Lumia 920

jonnymay

May 15, 2013
Visit site
So one thing I discovered is that if you leave the default SMS tone as-is (not custom), then individual custom SMS tones that you assign to contacts *do* work. There seems to be a conflict when you change the global default SMS tone, and it overrides the custom contact tones. Hmmm...

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
So one thing I discovered is that if you leave the default SMS tone as-is (not custom), then individual custom SMS tones that you assign to contacts *do* work. There seems to be a conflict when you change the global default SMS tone, and it overrides the custom contact tones. Hmmm...

Same is for WhatsApp. You need to set the notification tone as default, in notifications+actions settings.

Jason05

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi there, anybody know if there is any new information about this? This was a problem in the pre-release versions, and was one of the main reasons I switched back to Win 8.1 Mobile. I downloaded Win 10 to see if the kinks were worked out, and lo and behold this one isn't :( So just to confirm it sounds like the only way to have custom message tones for contacts is to not change the global tone?

Is there a way to edit the actual default tone to change it to the tone that I want? IE: saving the custom tone as a default.xxx file somewhere and replace the tone that comes with Win 10?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb