SMS Restore on 10581

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I upgraded from 10536 to 10581 last night. Did a hard reset after the upgrade - as I usually do. All my apps and settings restored just fine.

EXCEPT my text messages. -_- As a precaution I always do 3 forced backups of my phone before an upgrade. It's nearly 24 hours later, and the only messages I have are from May 2015 and further back.

Yes my SMS backup settings are properly set to "Anytime", blah, blah, blah.

What the heck?! Anyone else have this problem?

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar problem on the previous build and it was like that for several days, then it suddenly was fully up to date. It seemed as if there was some sort of update to the backend service that caused it to work properly.

When I upgraded to 10581 I did not do a hard reset and everything is still syncing just fine.

From my experience, I would just tell you to wait a couple of days and see if it finishes syncing.

Also, I would tell that you probably don't need to worry that you've lost your text history. It is still there in the cloud, just not syncing properly.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue and it started with 572. After a week and even after upgrade to 581, stuck at June 2014, and no new sms since three days.
I know sms sync well as I see them on the 1020 (8.1) and 640 (10549) but the 535 under 10581 is stuck.

I agree : past texts are not lost. But I wouldn't be so sure about the new messages received after upgrade : are they really saved ???

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue and it started with 572. After a week and even after upgrade to 581, stuck at June 2014, and no new sms since three days.
I know sms sync well as I see them on the 1020 (8.1) and 640 (10549) but the 535 under 10581 is stuck.

I agree : past texts are not lost. But I wouldn't be so sure about the new messages received after upgrade : are they really saved ???

I sure hope they are. Is your 535 a 512RAM device?

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My 10581 upgrade did not restore any of my sms, so I had to sign in to one of the cheapo phones and backup using contacts+messaging app. Works well once you restore it.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
All 535 are 1GB devices.

MS have acknowledged the issue (at last!), but only to say "they're investigating". They think it's half service-side (=server), half build related. But no conclusions yet. So it means wait & see. Which is appalling if the Fall Update, bringing new messaging+skype app to PC is due for next week. It means that the new messaging branch breaks something on mobile.

Besides, have a look at feedback app, this backup issue is now trending ;)

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
My 10581 upgrade did not restore any of my sms, so I had to sign in to one of the cheapo phones and backup using contacts+messaging app. Works well once you restore it.

Yes except it's not a solution for dual sim devices : the contact+sms backup app can't manage sim1/sim2 and restores everything in SIM1 :(

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
MS have acknowledged the issue (at last!), but only to say "they're investigating". They think it's half service-side (=server), half build related. But no conclusions yet. So it means wait & see.Besides, have a look at feedback app, this backup issue is now trending ;)

Source?
This build is almost perfect. I can't stand not having my conversation history available. It's great to have that little search icon, but useless if there's barely anything actually be searched lol. Second problem is my brightness is stuck on medium. Toggling between the 3 levels doesn't do anything.

Glad it's trending. I upvoted every post I saw in feedback lol

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I had maybe a third of my messages in 10575, but they all restored perfectly and very quickly upon upgrade to 10581 and hard reset. Maybe I was lucky but not complaining!

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
OK, I've just HR my 535 and restored. All the already restored SMS before the HR were restored very quickly, and now, it seems stuck again at the same point :/

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Had the same problem... I installed the Contacts + Message backup application from the store.. Used it to backup the SMS stuff from my old phone placed the folder on the new phone and restored...

FYI once you install Contact+ Message App on Windows 10 you can find it by going to Setting and doing a Search for it ...

Worked fine for SMS but MMS did not restore.. :(

NoogMan9605

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I tried every combination of upgrade, restore back to 8.1 with the restore tool, hard reset, no hard reset, etc. I couldnt get my SMS's to restore properly. Ended up back at 8.1 for now......here's the kicker....on 10581 I actually had a partial restore of SMS all the way back to 2013 (but none from the last 10 months or so), but after doing a rollback and hard reset to 8.1 (NO RESTORE FROM BACKUP), they only go back to April 2015. None of it makes any sense to me at all. Yes, I tried restoring one month, one year, and "any time". It's just borked for me on the Icon.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'm trying this :
a) I've flash my 535 back to 8.1
b) No backup restore (from onedrive, started from scratch), but it's syncing the SMS. Everything is getting back nicely
c) I intend to then upgrade to 581 again, activate the SMS sync
d) then hard reset.

As far as I've understood, for some, it worked, because somehow, there's a pre and post W10M standard. WP8.1 won't restore the "new SMS", and W10M has difficulties with the old ones. But by handing over the old ones to W10M by an upgrade from 8.1, it seems to convert all the SMSs to the new format/standard, allowing W10M (10572 and higher) to fetch all the message, old, new, etc.

Nice theory, and I'm testing it. I'll report the results.

NoogMan9605

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm trying this :
a) I've flash my 535 back to 8.1
b) No backup restore (from onedrive, started from scratch), but it's syncing the SMS. Everything is getting back nicely
c) I intend to then upgrade to 581 again, activate the SMS sync
d) then hard reset.

As far as I've understood, for some, it worked, because somehow, there's a pre and post W10M standard. WP8.1 won't restore the "new SMS", and W10M has difficulties with the old ones. But by handing over the old ones to W10M by an upgrade from 8.1, it seems to convert all the SMSs to the new format/standard, allowing W10M (10572 and higher) to fetch all the message, old, new, etc.

I had read that too, and am pretty sure out of all the times I tried things, I'm pretty sure I tried that. I DO know I tried a fresh install of 8.1 (no restore). I signed into MS account and got SMS's (took about 3 hours). Then installed insider app, upgraded to 581, and proceeded to sync SMS's. It didn't work...Interesting that the only ones I got were the SMS's I'd done while I was using 581 the day before, as well as some SMS's from my wife back in 2013. Heck, my current 8.1 done yesterday morning won't even go back further than April 2015.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

Idk about that, because I had messages all the way back to November 2012 when I first got my 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss