The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    It's been a couple of years since I last played with a Windows Mobile phone. Like what I read about the 950 XL but until it's released I will have a Lumia 1520 running build 10572 at my disposal. With that in mind could someone point me to a How-To for updating to build 10581 ? Thanks !
    10-31-2015 10:24 PM
    Run to the store and install the Windows Insider application. Just go through all the steps (pretty straightforward) and make sure you choose Fast Ring. Then swipe down from the top and click All Settings. Navigate to Update & security>Phone update>Check for updates and it should show up. Wait for it to download, install, then schedule a restart or restart right away. Then enjoy.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-31-2015 10:47 PM
    Awesome. Thank you. Since it's already running 10572, I should be able to do a straight update without downgrading back to 8.1 correct ?
    11-01-2015 04:17 PM
    It's been a couple of years since I last played with a Windows Mobile phone. Like what I read about the 950 XL but until it's released I will have a Lumia 1520 running build 10572 at my disposal. With that in mind could someone point me to a How-To for updating to build 10581 ? Thanks !
    Welcome home... And this time... STAY!
    11-01-2015 08:47 PM
    Thank you but that's still to be decided. In watching some YouTube vids about build 10581, it was revealed that you can't install any apps to internal memory ? Can that be right ? Apps need to be installed to a memory card ?
    11-01-2015 08:51 PM
    Thank you but that's still to be decided. In watching some YouTube vids about build 10581, it was revealed that you can't install any apps to internal memory ? Can that be right ? Apps need to be installed to a memory card ?
    Don't know, I have a 925, which doesn't even have the possibility for a memory card, and for some very strange reason I am able to install apps on it's internal memory....
    11-02-2015 07:30 AM
    I strongly doubt it unless there is something very wrong with that particular device or the W10M installation on it.
    11-02-2015 07:36 AM
    You have that the wrong way around. You can't install apps on an external memory card if you do a hard reset. Your settings on Storage will be saved when you upgrade but if you hard reset microSD is practically nonexistent.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-03-2015 07:58 AM
    Awesome. Thank you. Since it's already running 10572, I should be able to do a straight update without downgrading back to 8.1 correct ?
    Just upgrade straight to Build 10581.
    11-03-2015 07:58 AM
    Hmmmm ok. Is a hard reset necessary after the update ?
    11-03-2015 08:57 PM
    Just upgrade straight to Build 10581.
    Great. Thank you. I will have the 1520 by Thurs
    11-03-2015 08:58 PM
    A bit off topic question . . . I've seen videos that show tiles being transparent. Not crazy about that look. Is that something that can be changed in settings ?
    11-03-2015 09:05 PM
    A bit off topic question . . . I've seen videos that show tiles being transparent. Not crazy about that look. Is that something that can be changed in settings ?
    Yeah, you can change the transparency/opacity. Or if you're like me, do not use a wallpaper and the tiles are not transparent at all.

My upgrades to the preview builds were easy, but others reported bricking their phones. So be advised and do so at your own risks.

However, OneDrive has been drastically neutered. Starts at beginning of 2016. It was the only benefit of their ecosystem from their competitors. I've removed all content from my OneDrive and stopped using it altogether. Sure I'm using the free 30GB and was testing it out before going all in with all my stuff. But now they've literally confessed they peep on user data. Huge turn off for me. Might change ecosystem.

But don't let that stop you. WP is a refreshing change if you don't mind the app gap. Yes that is a thing.
    11-03-2015 10:47 PM
    Might change ecosystem.
    please do, and come back here if you've found a better one..... That will be difficult I think.
    Apple cloud space is less expensive, if you don't mind paying 10,- more a month for your iPhone, compared to a 950
    Google is less expensive, but you agree to give away your pictures from you or your kids, for advertisement reasons.... (like Facebook)
    I'm very happy with my office 365 subscription and have plenty of OneDrive space available, including full office!
    11-04-2015 07:00 AM
    please do, and come back here if you've found a better one..... That will be difficult I think.
    Apple cloud space is less expensive, if you don't mind paying 10,- more a month for your iPhone, compared to a 950
    Google is less expensive, but you agree to give away your pictures from you or your kids, for advertisement reasons.... (like Facebook)
    I'm very happy with my office 365 subscription and have plenty of OneDrive space available, including full office!
    I use IOS and Android ecosystems, and now Windows as well. I do like them all. They each have their merits and shortcomings. But when M$ does the bait and switch and admits to prying into user data, that's another story. I guess it's my fault for trusting online storage privacy, even when they promised privacy. Shame on me.

I'm glad you like Office offerings as do I. But others who were promised 'unlimited' storage are now left with 1TB. M$ should not have offered unlimited anything if they cannot keep that promise. Similarly, they are going to take away ~80% of the free storage, from 30GB to 5GB. I understand their reasoning, but don't punish everyone just for the select few 'abusers'. Who, were not abusing since they were promised unlimited storage. 75TB of space is 0% of unlimited.

So what if out of the blue M$ decides to lower your Office365 1TB limit to 200GB? Shared across all 5 users? Even though you were promised 1TB for each of the 5 users? And you're already invested so much $$$ and already uploaded 700GB of stuff? And what about the other 4 peeps you're sharing with?

I'm not attacking you. I apologize if it seems so, but I assure you it's not. Just an observation from an occasional WP user. Been using Windows for decades. As well as OSX/IOS and Android for as long as it's been out.

EDIT: I'm not a new new WP user. Just a returning WP user after a long hiatus. I've used WP since 6.0, but always went back to Android or IOS after each revision.
    Last edited by midnightfrolic; 11-04-2015 at 01:08 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-04-2015 12:58 PM
    I use IOS and Android ecosystems, and now Windows as well. I do like them all. They each have their merits and shortcomings. But when M$ does the bait and switch and admits to prying into user data, that's another story. I guess it's my fault for trusting online storage privacy, even when they promised privacy. Shame on me.

I'm glad you like Office offerings as do I. But others who were promised 'unlimited' storage are now left with 1TB. M$ should not have offered unlimited anything if they cannot keep that promise. Similarly, they are going to take away ~80% of the free storage, from 30GB to 5GB. I understand their reasoning, but don't punish everyone just for the select few 'abusers'. Who, were not abusing since they were promised unlimited storage. 75TB of space is 0% of unlimited.

So what if out of the blue M$ decides to lower your Office365 1TB limit to 200GB? Shared across all 5 users? Even though you were promised 1TB for each of the 5 users? And you're already invested so much $$$ and already uploaded 700GB of stuff? And what about the other 4 peeps you're sharing with?

I'm not attacking you. I apologize if it seems so, but I assure you it's not. Just an observation from an occasional WP user. Been using Windows for decades. As well as OSX/IOS and Android for as long as it's been out.

EDIT: I'm not a new new WP user. Just a returning WP user after a long hiatus. I've used WP since 6.0, but always went back to Android or IOS after each revision.
    Your opinion would be more respected if you wouldn't use M$. Anytime I see that I automatically tune out what a person is saying.
    But I do agree with your point.
    11-04-2015 01:21 PM
    Well . . . .I've had the phone and played with it for a week now. Nice hardware and the camera is pretty darn good but that's the end of the warm fuzzies. Windows Mobile seems clunky compared to iOS and Android. The notification shade looks odd but functional. Still too many apps that need a 3rd party developer to step in and create a replacement. On the plus side I like the new Edge browser. I'll keep the 1520 around to play with once in awhile but not going to SIM it like I planned.
    11-10-2015 05:57 PM