Chimes?!?!?

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I've recently been having my phone make this unusual chiming alert sound, almost always after I get home in the evening. There's no alert in the action center at the time. Where's it coming from? It's making me really confused!

I'm on W10M 10581. Any ideas????

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what it is, but here's how you could potentially find out.. settings > system > notifications+actions > scroll down to see a list of apps. THis is where you can normally manage how you receive notifications (without banners or just a sound or just a message in the notification center)..

I said "potentially", because im not sure that will help, but it's the first place I'd check.. keep us notified, kay?

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
First place I checked as well :) However, there's nothing there unexpected. Unfortunately there's no way to tell what the "default" sound that is set within a given's app notification settings is, so it's hard to tell. The only thing that's in there that I don't regularly use is Motion Data, but since there haven't been an actual notifications in the center, I'm not sure how that helps.
Although I suppose if it's happening when I get home and it realizes that I've stopped moving, it's somehow letting me know with the chimes? Cool-and-creepy!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol yes MS knows where you live :D but did you set your ms health app, to give a sound when you hit a mile or km? that could be it? or was that just to vibrate.. In any case check it out, should be under the settings within the app itself

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I have not set up the MS health app at all. It's not in notification center or anything. So I tried an experiment of just turning off all motion data. The chimes went away! So it was definitely something related to the motion data in one way or another.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have not set up the MS health app at all. It's not in notification center or anything. So I tried an experiment of just turning off all motion data. The chimes went away! So it was definitely something related to the motion data in one way or another.

Hmm weird, but happy it's resolved and we can breathe easily knowing that MS wasn't planning to assassinate you xd

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
This happened to me last week. It was only one day, but it happened 4 or 5 times. A sound I didn't recognize and not notification info. Hasn't happened since. Still no idea what it was.

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
So glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this!

I'll try turning off the location at some point. The screen does not turn on when this happens.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Could it be a notification sound for connecting to your home Wi-Fi? Do you put it on a nightstand that is NFC enabled? Since 10581, NFC tags can be read without turning on the screen or unlocking the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077