10581 with nokia 1020 - battery life still pretty poor?

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to get a handle on other people with the nokia 1020 and how their typical battery life has been with the mobile 10 and maybe more specifically with 10581, though i dont think its any different than 10572 or previous builds..

start a day at 9am with 100% battery, by 5pm its often 20%, this is with very minimal checking of emails, maybe 20 mins of use throughout the whole day..Insider app shows discharge rates of -4 to -9 per hour, though some periods only -1 or -2 all depends. ###With 8.1 i'd have around 60% by 5pm on avg. ####

Another Example today: 1030am, 95%, by 1210pm i'm sitting 84% (and hadnt touched the phone at all during this period, which means about 54% by days end lost if i didnt touch the phone at all).

Updated:
Second 1.5 hour test, this time with BT off.. at start was 73% at finish was 62.. this is 7.33% per hour (no usage) same as with BT on.

After 6 hours, i'm sitting at 48% and having only used the phone for a grand total of maybe 5-8 minutes throughout the whole day.

**end of 8 hour period.. 17% left, thats with one 3 minute phone call and having texted and checked email for maybe 10 minutes out of the day

Coworker with an iphone 6 (not a 6, or 6s or plus) reports they are usually around 55% by end of a work day with medium use (whereas me, nokia 1020 + medium use, 20-30% left on win10 mobile)
**Coworker with the larger iphone 6 plus has about 60-65% at days end.

I have email set at defaults in terms of exchange and gmail syncing (and i have tried changing these in the past and hasnt helped). This shows 63% usage in battery saver info screen.

**charge rate with a decent usb charger in car on way home over 30 minutes, i can get 10% back.. however, other times i'm lucky to get 2-4% for some reason.

I have wifi and bluetooth turned on, but bt is not in use (bt off no difference). This is on straight talk LTE.

Phone is 2 years old.

Last edited:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure your core apps are ALL updated? open the store -> My donloads -> Check updates.
And BT MUST be disabled if not in use! Battery drain + security iussue

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Yep they are all up to date.

I'll try turning off the bluetooth to see how much of a change this makes.

Update..

Second 1.5 hour test, this time with BT off.. at start was 73% at finish was 62.. this is 7.33% per hour (no usage)

First 1.5 hour test was IDENTICAL, same rate and with BT on.

So in my isolated test, BT being on (and not active or connected to any BT devices), the battery drain / discharge rate is still 7.33% per hour and this is with Zero usage.

After 6 hours, i'm sitting at 48% and having only used the phone for a grand total of maybe 5-8 minutes throughout the whole day.

Coworker with an iphone 6 (not a 6, or 6s or plus) reports they are usually around 55% by end of a work day with medium use (whereas me, nokia 1020 + medium use, 20-30% left on win10 mobile)

Last edited:

Windowlino

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's just because your phone (including its battery) is older? I'm on Lumia 920, latest build and get the same battery time as I got using WP8.

Of course I'm not sure about this, but maybe it's something to consider...

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's just because your phone (including its battery) is older? I'm on Lumia 920, latest build and get the same battery time as I got using WP8.

Of course I'm not sure about this, but maybe it's something to consider...

This could be.. i got mine originally almost exactly 2 years ago, so i guess its possible, however.. i know that on windows 8.1 for phone.. i was getting better life.. like I said.. at least 50-60% by days end, unless i'm remembering wrong, but i kept mental notes on this sort of thing pretty regularly.

I wish there was a better app to monitor which apps are draining the most..

I know the built in battery saver area has one.. its details are limited.. sure it does say that its at 68.7% for mail and calendar, thats a large part, but you cant disable email (and i'm running defaults, so the frequency of checks is less than i normally had it on win 8.1).

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
17% was the end of the work day.. half with BT off and half on (bluetooth made no difference here)... one single 3 minute phone call and maybe 10 mins of generic use (no video).. comparable again was (i think) 60% maybe 50% with win 8.1 (tempted to roll back once just to verify for the fun of stats:) ) I may also try leaving it on "airplane mode" for 1.5 hours to see if that 7.33% discharge becomes less than 1%.

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
My 1020 is getting pretty good life. After about 9 hours today with occasional texting, facebook, and email i'm at 76%.

Though I think if your mail and calendar is at 60 some % there is a real issue there.

My battery saver for the last 24 hours is reporting messaging+skype(text) is at 33%, FB at 18% and mail and calendar is only 9.9%. I get a few email an hour, and it is set to as items arrive.

So, if your email and calendar is that high, I would imagine you are running into a some sort of bug there.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
1020 with a 2mo old NOKIA battery, my life is worse than the OP. Well not my actual life, my battery. BT and WiFi off. I think the biggest issue is we hall have different apps running, so no way to tell EXACTLY what the drain is. Ideally we would run a clean phone and just test but this OS is WELL beyond needing to do that. MS needs to figure it out quick. Then again, crApple updates phones with a new OS that kills battery performance all the time. Then the lemmings line up and buy the newest phone, works for them.

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
so no way to tell EXACTLY what the drain is.

How is there not? On earlier builds 'Start' and Cortana were both CRUSHING my battery. Just check battery saver and if something is actually draining your battery it should be pretty obvious. ie, 'Start' was over 70% of my battery usage.

Now i can easily go a day and a half without charging on my 1020.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I've has Cortana off and little to no change. Let alone a point I've made before, disabling a unique feature isn't acceptable. As for the phone telling me what is causing the drain, I've never trusted it.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Check which apps can run in the background and disable those not needed. I've only kept messaging on while all others are off.

Mine can last a day though I sometimes feel it last slightly less than in 8.1. I browse more these days using cellular so that is one problem. Lumia 1020 could never be battery efficient when using cellular.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed battery life is good on standby but not so good when being used. Either cellular or start screen or both use the battery a lot. I left home with 87% and 3 hours later while updating a couple of apps and sending a few whatsapp messages, the battery is down to 50%. Not good. Same behaviour yesterday

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
my battery life with 10581 on the 1020 is even better than on W8.1.
I'm very akin to save energy and use my phone in a different way than other people. Bluetooth is always disabled, location is always disabled (and I only turn it on when I need it for navigation) and mobile data is also turned off and I only switch it on when I need it

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
my battery life with 10581 on the 1020 is even better than on W8.1.
I'm very akin to save energy and use my phone in a different way than other people. Bluetooth is always disabled, location is always disabled (and I only turn it on when I need it for navigation) and mobile data is also turned off and I only switch it on when I need it

I do all that except location is on. Maybe I should switch that off and see if it helps

Did you hard reset after getting on to 10581? If you did, did you get Lumia camera back?

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Again, i see all the posts about disabling this and that.... HOW IS THIS ACCEPTABLE?! We are on the verge of 10586 being the released OS on the carriers and likely new phones as well. Does this not worry any of you or is the nonchalant "just disable everything" attitude really what you all think is the way we can grow our market share? Im just baffled at this point. I dont see this not being an epic failure, having the general public update to an OS that has garbage battery life in general, and cant even sync SMS messages. Keep in mind that is STILL an issue.

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Again, i see all the posts about disabling this and that.... HOW IS THIS ACCEPTABLE?! We are on the verge of 10586 being the released OS on the carriers and likely new phones as well. Does this not worry any of you or is the nonchalant "just disable everything" attitude really what you all think is the way we can grow our market share? Im just baffled at this point. I dont see this not being an epic failure, having the general public update to an OS that has garbage battery life in general, and cant even sync SMS messages. Keep in mind that is STILL an issue.

Currently I am getting better battery life than 8.1 without disabling anything, which was not the case with earlier builds(Where I did have to disable cortana). It's a fair assumption things will continue to be optimized and i'll get even better life out of my aging 1020. If you are having draining issues and are refusing to look at battery saver usage info because you 'don't trust it', that's kind of your problem.

I am by no means saying the build is perfect, there are lots of areas to improve on. It just seems odd that you have the tools to help diagnose the problem but refuse to help your situation beyond complaining about it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss