Threshold 2 (10586)... what does it mean?

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Ok, teach me, master yoda :asleep:
okdoki! So a RC is a build which the developer seems to fit to become the RTM. That does mean that the RC gets published and as long as the there are no serious bugs it will also be the RTM. Note: if the RC has serious problems, the developer can release a second release candidate (or even a third, but not much likely).

what we use now (10581) is a preview build. you could also name it a beta version because it's unlikely that MS will put anymore new features inbetween 10581 and the RTM build (presumably 10586).

If MS pushes 10586 to insiders this week, this will be a RC. It will also be RTM if MS will publish 10586 to the public in the coming weeks/months.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
This kind of came out of the blue. I'm excited about the Windows 10 update since I know exactly what it entails, but the entire Mobile business is sort of in the dark. I guess we don't have long to wait, eh?

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I wait to release new bild 10586,maybe this week,i'm curios!For my lumia 535 10581 is not verry good.
Strange! I've also got an Lumia 535 with 10581 TP, and let me tell you: its fast, no lags, not a single crash, no loading/resuming, battery life is awesome 2 days on single charge with moderate use, everything works great. Although, Edge is pretty stubborn little browser :D

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Strange! I've also got an Lumia 535 with 10581 TP, and let me tell you: its fast, no lags, not a single crash, no loading/resuming, battery life is awesome 2 days on single charge with moderate use, everything works great. Although, Edge is pretty stubborn little browser :D

Same with my Lumia Icon - Works like a charm! Loving the extended battery! Not-so-extended with Edge but it's getting there!

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
so you have the RTM build already?

You're being seriously na?ve if you believe that build 10586 will have solved every issue in the OS.

Just go to the feedback app and set the filter to problems only. You're telling me that all these issues will have been resolved? I'm sorry, but that would be miraculous.

gabi tanase

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I charge my phone 2times/day.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
You're being seriously na?ve if you believe that build 10586 will have solved every issue in the OS.

Just go to the feedback app and set the filter to problems only. You're telling me that all these issues will have been resolved? I'm sorry, but that would be miraculous.

Oh please, Android 6.0 Marshmallow doesn't solve every issue in the operating system. Give Microsoft four years more of development and there will still be room for improvement. That's how it works. The only thing that matters is will it work well? Everything I've seen from 10581 says yes.

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Oh please, Android 6.0 Marshmallow doesn't solve every issue in the operating system. Give Microsoft four years more of development and there will still be room for improvement. That's how it works. The only thing that matters is will it work well? Everything I've seen from 10581 says yes.

Maybe I'm unlucky then but you've had a very different experience to me. Either that, or you have much lower standards.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Maybe I'm unlucky then but you've had a very different experience to me. Either that, or you have much lower standards.

I'm running Windows 10 Mobile on a Lumia 520 and have been since the very beginning. Yeah it was pretty slow just a few builds ago but Build 10581 is faster and smoother than Windows Phone 8.1 on the Lumia 520. It's not as polished or as stable, yet, but it's getting there. Battery life is pretty fantastic too.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
th2 = sp1

Wrong. Threshold 2 stays as is, it means new more functions plus the usual monthly patch
Sp1 will be REDSTONE, next summer, and maybe the name will be Windows 10.1
Threshold ONE was Windows 10 RTM itself at the first release in July 29th.

And it's ONLY for DESKTOPS. Not for mobile

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm running Windows 10 Mobile on a Lumia 520 and have been since the very beginning. Yeah it was pretty slow just a few builds ago but Build 10581 is faster and smoother than Windows Phone 8.1 on the Lumia 520. It's not as polished or as stable, yet, but it's getting there. Battery life is pretty fantastic too.

I'm glad you've had a more positive experience than me. I wish W10M made my Lumia 930 faster but it hasn't. Its slower now, considerably.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Threshold 2 doesn't matter in the mobile space. It's an internal name that is being used to signify a software release branch with any improvements that are being made in sync with the desktop counterpart (since code bases are being developed in sync), that has already been RTM'd since OS build 10240 (WM10 10240 was still a buggy internal preview). If Microsoft decides to skip the TH2 mobile build in favor for TH3 or Redstone (another future build), till then WM10 won't be considered RTM. To the end-user and device manufacturers, WM10 is still in preview.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb