Custom Alerts for Discrete Email Accounts

jonnymay

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Guys, I don't know if this has been covered, but I hadn't seen a solution and then just a couple of days ago, stumbled across one on my own, so I thought I'd share.

The problem was that, with 4 email accounts set up in Outlook Mail on my Lumia 640 running Windows 10 build 10572, all accounts would utilize the same notification sound for incoming mail. Default sound, custom sound - whichever you set up for Outlook Mail would be the sound used when an email came in on any of the accounts.

The other day I went through the exercise of changing the "Account name" for each account, which had been previously left on whatever the default account name was when I set the account up.

Once you change the "Account name" to something custom, and then emails start coming in, they show up in the Action Center under the new custom names --- at which point you can assign custom tones to each account individually. Now each of my email accounts has a different and custom notification tone - yay me!

I'm not clear, though, on the interaction between the settings for Notifications accessible through All Settings -> System -> Notifications & actions, and the settings accessible through the Outlook Mail app itself (Outlook Mail -> Ellipsis -> Settings -> Options -> Notifications. Does one setting override the other? Do they work independently? I have not explored the relationship between these two settings.

Just thought I'd share in case the custom tones per account issue was bugging anybody else.

Thanks,

JMay

bpsmicro

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
So you say:

Once you change the "Account name" to something custom, and then emails start coming in, they show up in the Action Center under the new custom names --- at which point you can assign custom tones to each account individually.

Finally! That's the one major annoyance left with W10M.

In case anybody else is trying this, it was a lot more fiddly for me. Initially I had Action Center showing the separate account names, but no way to set individual notifications. I ended up deleting the accounts and starting fresh. And then then I had to rename the accounts twice, and restart the phone after renaming. Then finally it started to work as described.

Thanks much for this post.

Brad.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Conversely, you can also pin the individual accounts separately to your start menu, so that you can when you get an alert for a certain email account you can pull up that inbox directly.

jonnymay

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Aaaaannd sometime overnight last night, this decided to stop working. I'm back to square one and guess I'll try bpsmicro's additional tips.

bpsmicro

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
As of Build 10576 and the latest mail app (after they removed Linked Inboxes again), separate notifications per accounts is gone again. Individual settings under Options are ignored, and none of the previous tricks to get them back are working.
On my other test phone (I'm testing on a 920 and a 640), where I had this working before, post-update it's still working. But I'm sure if I change anything on those accounts, it'll break there too.
I'll be posting a feedback ... again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos