Slow Motion video function finally arrives!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Tonight, users of the Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview finally got an update to the Microsoft Camera app that adds the long awaited slow motion function to video. The Microsoft Camera version number is 2015.1084.11.0

Of course this is only available on certain phones; the Lumia 930, Icon, and 1520. I've seen in the comments on the original WC article, that HTC One M8 owners also have it working on their devices. We can be sure that the new 950/950XL will also have this feature.

So far, the slow motion video is limited to 720p @120fps regardless of what you have your video resolution set to in the Camera app's settings.

After you record a video with "slow motion on" and review the video in your camera roll, you'll then be able to tap on the video and select "edit slow motion", which takes you to the following video editing screen:

wp_ss_20151105_0002.png

I know this is new, and Dan will probably have a new "hands on" video with instructions on how to use this, but has anyone figured out how to set exactly where you want the slow motion to be. I understand the slider at the top of the screen (regular speed to slow), but the main video scrubber is kinda vague in it's function. I know the top curser handle (the green handle) controls where the "slo mo" is, but how do you give it a start and end point?

Discuss...

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Excellent news, very excited to use this feature during my training!

But I seem to have an issue with editing the videos. It wont open the editor. Starts to load, but then it closes. Which app is used for editing, maybe I should reinstall it, etc?

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Figured it out; its the lumia moments app. Strange it does not open via "edit the slow motion" from the video itself, I have to manually look for the app, open it, and then open video within.

Then I can edit it.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Excellent news, very excited to use this feature during my training!

But I seem to have an issue with editing the videos. It wont open the editor. Starts to load, but then it closes. Which app is used for editing, maybe I should reinstall it, etc?
Good question. It's the "Photos plug in" app I believe.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Figured it out; its the lumia moments app. Strange it does not open via "edit the slow motion" from the video itself, I have to manually look for the app, open it, and then open video within.

Then I can edit it.
Odd. I don't have "Lumia Moments" installed.

While on the slow motion edit screen, Tap the three Dot menu (...) and hit "about this app". Mine says it's the "Photos plug in" app.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Then I can edit it.
Wait.. Are you on Win10 Mobile insider preview?

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Wait.. Are you on Win10 Mobile insider preview?

Yes, the latest one.

The photos plugin app its the app that keeps installing @ my store all the time. It completes then next time an update is available again...maybe I should remove lumia moments?

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
...maybe I should remove lumia moments?

This was it. After removing lumia moments everything is as it should be. I guess microsoft replaced lumia moments with "photos plugin app" which then failed to installed because I had lumia moments installed.

andyqkw

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Updating the Microsoft Camera app breaks the Lumia Camera app.

Lumia Camera now just loads and jumped back to the home screen.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Updating the Microsoft Camera app breaks the Lumia Camera app.

Lumia Camera now just loads and jumped back to the home screen.
Not true. I was just using both apps without issue on my 1520. Perhaps you just need to restart your phone?

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Been waiting for this for a long time. Finally we have it!

has anyone figured out how to set exactly where you want the slow motion to be. I understand the slider at the top of the screen (regular speed to slow), but the main video scrubber is kinda vague in it's function. I know the top curser handle (the green handle) controls where the "slo mo" is, but how do you give it a start and end point?
If you set the speed to slowest, then you can't change the duration of the slow-mo effect.
If you set it to slow or slower (the first two steps) then you will get 2 handles that allow you to change the duration.
While on the slowest, it will make an extreme slowdown for around 0.5 seconds before the mark, and from there continue at normal speed.
My suggestion is that you leave the video unedited, and edit it on your PC. That is, if you want to make some good videos.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft Camera still have a long way to go before it catches up to Lumia Camera, results have all been sub-par...

What is missing still after today's update? There is now nothing in Lumia Camera that I can't do in Microsoft Camera as of today's update. Am I missing something?

Not true. I was just using both apps without issue on my 1520. Perhaps you just need to restart your phone?

Mine started doing this yesterday, even before the new camera update. Less than 24 hours ago, really. Even after restarting the phone, it won't load any longer. Must have been a "timer" kill switch in the last update to Lumia Camera or something. I can't see that really being done, but it won't load on my phone at all now. Glad it still works on yours, Ed.

The only thing I was missing and needed Lumia Camera for, though, was when doing Rich Capture, I was unable to edit the best lighting in Photos or Microsoft Camera. as of today's update, I am now able to do that.

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Sample videos anyone, pretty please? :) I am now more tempted to change my Lumia 830 for Lumia 1520 or 930. For me there is no reason to get Lumia 950 now. All I wanted is slow motion.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
My suggestion is that you leave the video unedited, and edit it on your PC. That is, if you want to make some good videos.

I agree. If you want to really produce quality videos, edit them on a capable PC. For people that want average quality just to upload to YouTube or to make for Vimeo or Facebook, the phone will be fine I think. So many people these days have a phone but not a PC.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft Camera still have a long way to go before it catches up to Lumia Camera, results have all been sub-par...
How so? There's nothing magic about Lumia Camera that Microsoft doesn't have access to. Remember, they own it now. Both apps use the same camera hardware, and as far as the image processing and algorithms go, it's all in the code. It's simply a matter of copy and paste into their own app, and building on it from there to make it better. Also remember they have one of the senior imaging gurus from Nokia that created Lumia Camera now working for them...

I've been using both apps on my 1520, and honestly can't tell the difference. I get stellar results with either one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo