Diego Ceccacci

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
So this build will be the RTM one? If yes, why it will officially released only for some phones and then for others? If its the same for everyone, whats the point?

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Because there are different phones, biggest and most obvious difference is between 512 and 1gb ram ones, the later will receive Windows 10 mobile first.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Don't forget there are a myriad of devices that, apart from ram size, may need a firmware update as well. If you look through the posts about 'issues' with a preview build, you will find different devices have different issues, thus I am assuming the firmware upgrade for ' lower spec ' devices. For instance, I am running 581 on a 1320, 640xl and a 930. 930 is very good with no lock ups, resuming or hanging on start screen. The 640xl also operates well, but does have 'resuming issues'. The 1320 can lock up on leaving store. Cortana is so slow at reading texts, it would be quicker to send it through the mail. The start screen locks, occasionally, but you can still use Cortana on Bluetooth (?????). Clean installs, except for the 930, which was restored / dirty flashed.
1320 also gets quite warm.

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but that's how I see it......

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
An "update" has 2 parts : the OS part, which is similar to what we received as Insiders, and the FW (the drivers, to use a caricature).

The OS will be the same for all.

The FW will be different, one for each model (Lumia 640), or even variant (French unbranded Lumia 640). The FW contains many parts :
a) RF ROM, which controls the cellular part. Between a US 640 and and EU one, this part will differ as used bands are not the same,
b) "drivers", for the camera for instance. This part will be radically different for a 1020 and a 535

Plus, there's a difference between : a 950 being "born" with W10M, and all the existing Lumias (and other WP) which will have to manage an OTA upgrade without data loss. You can see the difference between installing an insider build on a hard reset device. They can't impose that to normobs: the upgrade will have to work directly, without drawbacks. This may explain the delay also for being able to deliver W10M to all.

Diego Ceccacci

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
An "update" has 2 parts : the OS part, which is similar to what we received as Insiders, and the FW (the drivers, to use a caricature).

The OS will be the same for all.

The FW will be different, one for each model (Lumia 640), or even variant (French unbranded Lumia 640). The FW contains many parts :
a) RF ROM, which controls the cellular part. Between a US 640 and and EU one, this part will differ as used bands are not the same,
b) "drivers", for the camera for instance. This part will be radically different for a 1020 and a 535

Plus, there's a difference between : a 950 being "born" with W10M, and all the existing Lumias (and other WP) which will have to manage an OTA upgrade without data loss. You can see the difference between installing an insider build on a hard reset device. They can't impose that to normobs: the upgrade will have to work directly, without drawbacks. This may explain the delay also for being able to deliver W10M to all.
Thats clear. So maybe is better wait the proper build than updating with insider.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
That's the reason why my 1020 will never see a preview, but I guess for a 535 for instance, there won't be a big difference between preview OS and official update.

For Denim, the 520 and alike received ONLY the OS, not a new FW (and they received it pretty quickly at the beginning of the roll out, probably because of that) ; Pureview devices had to wait a lot more (because they got a specific FW: enabling Lumia Camera v5 for newer Pureview, but even older Pureview such as 1020 received a bump in their FW version).

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
That's not the RTM, maybe a RC 1 , I upgraded my 520 this morning and, after a little heart attack due to nokia loop bug mentioned by Gabe, and the key combination for the hard reset, now everything has gone fine well.
All core app updated. No store errors till now.
I'm starting testing on the field

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Touch issues on the 535 can only be fixed by a physical repair mate. I've had mine repaired by a local nokia care, new touchpanel, etc.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre