Can I safely jump on the preview right now without having to hard reset in the future?

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I want to use that slowmotion so bad but I really don't want to risk having to hard reset because I have a couple games where I just really really don't want to lose my progress. Should I just wait for RTM?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Based on what I've heard/read, the slow motion feature indeed is already available but it sometimes (or most of the time) isn't working as expected (some hiccups, some functions are not working, etc.).

At this point, build 10581 is pretty stable to install on one's daily driver. I personally haven't had any serious problems with my upgrade (straight from WP8.1 - no hard reset done).

If all you're after is the slow motion feature, it seems best to wait for RTM at the moment. It may not be worth the risk (no matter how minimal the risk may be) to put your game progress on the line.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I want to use that slowmotion so bad but I really don't want to risk having to hard reset because I have a couple games where I just really really don't want to lose my progress. Should I just wait for RTM?

I'd also say wait for RTM. From what I gather that could be closer to the end of December, precisely because MS still has to deal with all the issues potentially caused by upgrading without a hard reset. Those issues are irrelevant for the first W10 devices coming out, because for them there is no update process from WP8.1 to worry about.

In general, anything that isn't RTM could potentially require a hard reset for it to work well. I'm sure you already knew that, but were just hoping to get different advice ;-)

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If a hard reset will cause you to lose game saves and data, don't do it. While the slowmo camera function may work fine after the upgrade, other apps or functions may have issues that you cannot deal with warranting a hard reset. Too bad there isn't a way to simply backup data from any chosen app, like by long pressing an app and choose backup to cloud, but I'm aware of none.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If a hard reset will cause you to lose game saves and data, don't do it. While the slowmo camera function may work fine after the upgrade, other apps or functions may have issues that you cannot deal with warranting a hard reset. Too bad there isn't a way to simply backup data from any chosen app, like by long pressing an app and choose backup to cloud, but I'm aware of none.

IMHO cloud backup really should be a mandatory feature. I wish MS would just refuse app submissions that don't include the feature.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Ehh..why do people dread the hard reset? I'm completely on the opposite side. I wouldn't dare install a preview build if hard resets weren't possible. It improves your device so so much!
Also you can save most of your data. All files, and even some game saves (on onedrive). Though, I don't play games on my phone, so I really couldn't care less about it.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I'd say wait if hard reset is a showstopper for you. Every preview build where I've upgraded performance has been better after a hard reset. Improvement is less with each build, but it's there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077