Messaging + Skype

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one who has problems with Messaging + Skype app?

I have slow performance, the app makes the phone really hot and obviously it consumes a lot of battery when used. Actually if I allow it to work in the background my phone battery last from 12-14 hours to 8 or less hours. I don't see a lot of people sourly complaining about this and no update so far has fixed the problem.

I use Skype a lot to chat with several people. I even have some Skype business friends there and the conversations don't show but I don't care about that.

Am I the only one? because new builds, roll backs and upgrades to new builds, new versions of the app have no positive effect on this problem.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
What device are you having these issues on? Skype in general was a battery hog when used, I am not surprised about this version following its predecessor. But battery life on standby has been great on both my 640 and 925 on 10581 (reset on both). Have you tried after a reset to see if it makes any difference?

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't include all the information. I'm using a Lumia 920 with Build 10581.

The Skype app is working perfectly for me, not consuming a lot of battery when using WIFI (this phone in 4G uses a lot of power). The problem is the Messaging app; I just disabled sync messages across devices and see if that makes the trick.

If I leave the phone on standby, consumption is around 1.5 % of battery per hour unless I start getting a lot of notifications. This is with Messaging + Skype background use disabled. If I enable it and don't get any Skype message battery is about the same but as soon as some starts to message me on Skype everything goes horrible. Another thing that I have been unable to test thoroughly is that I have the feeling that part of the problem is if someone with a Skype business account message me the app goes rogue worse than with normal Skype messages

kingkea

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if related, but does anyone have issues receiving messages once Messaging app in Windows 10 (Desktop) is closed? This can't be how its intended to function right?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
bad worldwide bug in the new mobile app Messaging + Skype: you seem always green online on friends' skype, even with skype desktop and app offline /shut down!!!!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't include all the information. I'm using a Lumia 920 with Build 10581.

The Skype app is working perfectly for me, not consuming a lot of battery when using WIFI (this phone in 4G uses a lot of power). The problem is the Messaging app; I just disabled sync messages across devices and see if that makes the trick.

If I leave the phone on standby, consumption is around 1.5 % of battery per hour unless I start getting a lot of notifications. This is with Messaging + Skype background use disabled. If I enable it and don't get any Skype message battery is about the same but as soon as some starts to message me on Skype everything goes horrible. Another thing that I have been unable to test thoroughly is that I have the feeling that part of the problem is if someone with a Skype business account message me the app goes rogue worse than with normal Skype messages
bad worldwide bug in the new mobile app Messaging + Skype: you seem always green online on friends' skype, even with skype desktop and app offline /shut down!!!!

May be you should just sign out of the new Skype Video app when not using it?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
May be you should just sign out of the new Skype Video app when not using it?

Just ttried. Nope. I'm always green, till someone try to call me. In that case my status goes offline istantly (dude, don't disturb!!)
I'm reading aound it's a common problem with the new mobile messaging app. It collides with skype central system

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Just ttried. Nope. I'm always green, till someone try to call me. In that case my status goes offline istantly (dude, don't disturb!!)
I'm reading aound it's a common problem with the new mobile messaging app. It collides with skype central system

Okay so it does go offline only after someone tries calling you. I was under the impression that one might be signed on multiple devices that may be still keeping them online.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Okay so it does go offline only after someone tries calling you. I was under the impression that one might be signed on multiple devices that may be still keeping them online.

I knew but the only device of mine turned on is my Lumia. my Pcs and apps are down. Before the app update, it never happened

xsonwong

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
By using the Device Portal, the SkypeHost.exe was the battery monster.
They should fix it before official launch, otherwise should put still put in Beta Mode.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Same problem as OP. 920 on 10581, severe battery drain thanks to Messaging + Skype. Like, 20% per hour drain. I had 57% battery left after three hours. Anyone found a way to permanently fix the issue?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
You mean the one last night? I got that one, rebooted the phone, let it charge all night, and this morning was the 57% after three hours.

I confirm you, the new sms + skype+ messaging drains battery and causes s.o. freezes. Now I definitively logged out Skype inside the phone, I'll notice if will be an improvement

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I still have the latest update sitting there waiting to download but after reading this thread I may just wait for the next update

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I went to 10586 last night (with hard reset) and am all updated now. Hopefully this will fix the glitch. It has certainly fixed a few other minor issues.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
After finished all the updates and testings, Messagins is still buggy, often crash the phone on exit as previous build, it's definitively a APP IUSSUE.
Minor battery drain with skype logged out and disabled in background

digbel

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
After finished all the updates and testings, Messagins is still buggy, often crash the phone on exit as previous build, it's definitively a APP IUSSUE.

Ive got the same issues. They were supposed to be fixed in the latest update but absolutely zero improvement.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Are you still on 10581, or now 10586? I pushed up to 10586 last night, but battery drain still seems strong this morning. Down to 88% in about an hour. The battery usage stats are still showing lots of System usage from all the updates last night, so I am unsure yet if it's Messaging + Skype or something else. I'm not even logged into Skype in the M+S app.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Are you still on 10581, or now 10586? I pushed up to 10586 last night, but battery drain still seems strong this morning. Down to 88% in about an hour. The battery usage stats are still showing lots of System usage from all the updates last night, so I am unsure yet if it's Messaging + Skype or something else. I'm not even logged into Skype in the M+S app.

I've updated everything, in on 86

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)