Surprised/Appalled by the Quality of Feedback from some Insiders

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
First of all, this isn't a rant, a complaint nor a lawsuit. This is a suggestion to our readers and fellow insiders on how we could probably make the best out of the feedback loop and expedite the optimization of our Windows experience.

After skipping several builds, with the fear of (again) killing my near-senior-aged Lumia 1020, I've finally jumped in at build 10581 (and I didn't even perform a hard reset before the upgrade). So once in a while I've been in and out of the Windows Feedback app, and I can't help but observe how so much "junk feedback" make their way online, or how fragmented the feedback is.

Problem 1: a lot of feedback/reports has been given on the same problem. For example, let's take the report on not being able to save reminders for Cortana. There are a lot, NOT because there are a lot of up-votes for a single report, but because there are a lot of duplicate reports for the same problem. In effect, instead of increasing the visibility of the reported problem, the tendency is to dilute the reports by duplication and fragmentation - similar to how focused sunlight can burn while diffuse sunlight can't (well, with enough time it will, but not as instant as focused sunlight).
The solution: Search for the problem you've encountered FIRST before creating a new feedback report. If the problem has already been listed (most probably it's already there), then "upvote" it. This way, the chances that Microsoft will see and act on this issue will increase (more upvotes = more visibility).

Problem 2: There are a LOT of "junk feedback" - feedback that has no meaning and empty reports. As a demonstration, go search for "keyboard", and immediately a least 10 reports that contain nothing but the text "keyboard" appears. I mean, so there's a problem with the keyboard, but what's the problem? What was the issue? What is there to fix? Were the keys too large for your thumb? Do you want Microsoft to remove the keyboard? Ridiculous, right? It doesn't make sense not to have time to provide some useful information, in contrast to the time it took to get Insider builds.
The solution: In EVERY feedback or report, please take the time to provide useful information and details. This can be done by answering at least one of these questions:
a.) What specific issue did you encounter?
b.) Did you find a feature you didn't quite like?
c.) Is there anything we can do to improve on _______?
Screenshots are also possible it's strange to NOT find a single feedback that has a screenshot - I'm sure there are some, but given the statistics the number of feedback that have screenshots is probably small.

Hence, in summary:
1. Search for the problem you've encountered FIRST before creating a new feedback report. More upvotes = more visibility.
2. Do not (and please, seriously, do NOT) create meaningless or empty feedback.

We have had the opportunity to participate in improving our Windows experience - let's make the most out of it. It's true that too many cooks spoil the broth; having more who can't even cook is appalling.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, but MS could also (semi)automate some of the deduplication. For example, if many users click the five same issues in a row right after searching or adding, maybe they're all the same thing. MS would need to have someone monitor this before merging, but I think it immediate successive votes would be a good indicator of duplicates.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I hope they're implementing some kind of machine-learning technology to breeze through millions of feedback in order to cover everything and filter out these things. So, in theory, what we see are the raw feedback given with the duplicates and "junk" ones, but what Microsoft sees is the integrated information from the automated merging, filtering, etc.

Still, things would be easier if Microsoft didn't have to filter out "junk". :smile:

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
There's also feedback from users who haven't explored the systme enough. "I'd like to choose which ways (toll, etc.) are authorised when computing a route in Maps", 2 weeks ago. OK, it has been possible to set that since April.

It's a pity we can't answer/help these guys; but in the same time, MS should exploit that feedback as such. It means that their super features are not necessarily discovered by users.

Erik Latranyi

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
One only has to look at the feedback right here on Windows Central to see the multiple posts that do not reference what hardware or Build Version being used. Multiple posts that claim the Preview Build is junk because it does not work flawlessly. Or the multiple posts asking the same question over and over again (which was explained when the build was released, or answered early by insiders because people do not use search nor read previous posts.

But, I would rather have this open, honest free-for-all than a tightly controlled (no negativity allowed) forum.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The localization is nice. In French, I see quite different feedback for Maps, for instance, than in English. So I often change my keyboard to French, give feedback in French, and switch to UK English, and report the same but in English. Sometimes my feedback is a lot more upvoted in English, sometimes in French. For instance, French feedback is less spammed by "Give us landscape startscreen" ^_^

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, I've received a survey from Microsoft this week, surprisingly in English (all "Gabe Aul emails" are dispatched in French for French insiders).

It reads as follows

"Hello, Windows Insider –
We are currently selecting Windows Insiders like you to join a group that will soon play an even more active role in the development of Windows 10 Mobile.
Based on the exceptional feedback that you have already provided on recent builds of Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview, we think you have both the knowledge – and passion – to be part of this team.
To qualify for participation in this exclusive Windows Insider opportunity, simply take a minute to complete our short survey by clicking on the link below or copying it into your Internet browser:
[ redacted ^_^ ]
We will contact you shortly if you are selected and provide you with more details about this exciting program.
Of course, your survey responses will remain strictly confidential and will only be used to enhance your experience in the Windows Insider Program.
We look forward to working with you on upcoming Windows Mobile development. In the meantime, we'd like to thank for your awesome contributions to Windows 10!
Sincerely,
The Windows Insider Team"

Required data were : name, *shipping address*, MSA ID, which devices do I use (very short list, no 640/535 for instance), my mobile operator, etc.

I wonder do they want to create different levels of feedback, to focus more on "relevant feedback".

I have to add that as a good French, I mainly rant and criticize the OS and apps via the Feedback app ^_^ I've read elsewhere that they were "rewarding those who give lip service to MS"; stupid comment, as Feedback app doesn't really allow to give "positive" feedback o_O

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, I've received a survey from Microsoft this week, surprisingly in English (all "Gabe Aul emails" are dispatched in French for French insiders).

It reads as follows

We are currently selecting Windows Insiders like you to join a group that will soon play an even more active role in the development of Windows 10 Mobile.
Based on the exceptional feedback that you have already provided on recent builds of Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview, we think you have both the knowledge – and passion – to be part of this team.
To qualify for participation in this exclusive Windows Insider opportunity, simply take a minute to complete our short survey by clicking on the link below or copying it into your Internet browser:
[ redacted ^_^ ]
We will contact you shortly if you are selected and provide you with more details about this exciting program.
Of course, your survey responses will remain strictly confidential and will only be used to enhance your experience in the Windows Insider Program.
We look forward to working with you on upcoming Windows Mobile development. In the meantime, we'd like to thank for your awesome contributions to Windows 10!
Sincerely,

Required data were : name, *shipping address*, MSA ID, which devices do I use (very short list, no 640/535 for instance), my mobile operator, etc.

I wonder do they want to create different levels of feedback, to focus more on "relevant feedback".

I have to add that as a good French, I mainly rant and criticize the OS and apps via the Feedback app ^_^ I've read elsewhere that they were "rewarding those who give lip service to MS"; stupid comment, as Feedback app doesn't really allow to give "positive" feedback o_O

Seems a nice spam mail :winktongue: "Give us your feedback. We'll enlarge your *****!" :grin:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

It reads as follows

[ redacted ^_^ ]
Sincerely,

I wish I had received such an email. Unfortunately, I joined the insider program late and haven't given a lot of feedback as most of my issues were common and I didn't have many issues to report on

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Most of the time, I upvote extant feedback ; then, I create mine only when not already exisiting, and I write in English and French (as mentioned earlier on this thread).

I "only" have 1500 votes on my comments (some have >3000 but were not invited), and 100% of response.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes