Windows 10 Mobile Insider Build 10586 Thread

chetany dubey

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello guys,

As my 10586.11 update on Lumia 730 failed I tried to hard reset and now my phone is not detected by computer and hence I cant move back to W8 either (Recovery tool wont detect my phone). I am kind of stucked ...

Any suggestions?

To reset an unresponsive phone

If your phone is unresponsive and you can't reach Settings Settings icon, you may be able to reset your phone using the hardware buttons. On Lumia phones (and some others), do the following to reset your phone:

1.Press and hold the Volume down button and Power button buttons at the same time until you feel a vibration (about 10-15 seconds).

2.When you feel the vibration, immediately press and hold the Volume down button until you see a large exclamation mark.

3.Once the exclamation mark appears, press the following four buttons in this order: Volume up button, Volume down button, Power button, Volume down button. Your phone should now reset and restart itself. (It might take a while for the reset to finish.)

Florin Musetoiu

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
For now i`ve encountered minor stuff that i don`t like despite my totally negative previous posts. I still hate the circles on the contacts ... the squares and big picture when calling was much better in Win 8.1

The build is working smoother after Win 8.1 reset > done all updates > Updated to 10586 then and done all updates each at a time (no auto or 2 apps at a time) than when i had the phone jumped from one build to another.

I haven`t used the phone that much but i wanted to see battery life .. this is after 24 hours (too bad MS removed the timer since the device was removed from charging)
wp_ss_20151123_0001.jpg

Lumia 930

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
These estimations may be surreal. What is important is the *actual* battery life. I mean, 3 days may collapse to 11 hours if you start to surf a little bit.

But all in all, excellent battery life on my 535 dual SIM and 640 LTE.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Running build 10586.11 on my L830, by no means is it horrible but when comparing it to W8.1 there is a considerable difference in performance and overall consistency in daily use, to me it does feel a tad too clunky...

2) Outlook Mail... Renders "some" mail better than W8.1 did and is easier to read
3) Edge Browser... In comparison to IE it performs faster (for me)
4) Bing Apps... Enjoying the changes made to news and weather (layout/appearance)
5) Settings Menu layout
6) Added tiles in Action Center
7) Office apps such as Word, Excel etc.
8) Battery performance, never seen it take a hit over stock OS

Dislikes:
1) Varying results in final outcome when upgrading/installing across same/similar devices
2) Inconsistencies in how the OS performs in daily use
3) The frequencies of hard resets, sure it can help but shouldn't always be a prerequisite to obtain a "reasonable" running OS
4) Outlook Mail... The "now" removal of linked inboxes
5) Hamburger Menus
6) Overall sluggishness of OS compared to W8.1 on older or lower spec'd hardware
7) Camera... Still lacking features and feels stark compared to W8.1s offering
8) Photo App... Clunky and unappealing, slower to display thumbnails
9) Store... Well what can I say, better than previous W10M builds yet still deplorable in my opinion, too many issues/inconsistencies
10) The occasional screen flicker/flash when transitioning, say, in or out of an app
11) Apps without the option for transparent tiles
12) How some apps lose features/functionality or are slower to open (I know, may not be optimized for W10M)
13) MSs mentality of dumbing down the OS or removing features then "to be added at a later date"... Soon!
14) MSs incremental updates that seen to do little to improves one's overall experience, lack of changelogs
15) MSs "we giveth, we taketh" approach

As for my L1020, was working ok on build 10581 and maybe even a tad better than my L830 did, upgraded to 10586 and suddenly things appeared to be on the decline :-(. phone became more sluggish, responsiveness to actions seemed to diminish as did the screens touch sensitivity. OK you say, lets do a hard reset and everything should be ticketyboo, haahahaha not by a longshot, the other idiosyncrasies still existed along with a few added just to spice things up, a weird one was on occasion is when I fired up the camera, a series of 15-20 icons which looks like the camera icon itself, would display/flash on the screen for a split second, store refuses to download some apps which upon investigating appears to be a known problem and the list goes on, needless to say I'm reverting back to W8.1 as this debacle (in opinion) is getting out of hand.

Think I found a bug and not sure if it may just be mine lol, whilst my L1020 was on build 10581 I did an backup of settings/apps and OneDrive indicated such, with both 830 and 1020 on build 10586 did same to each twice yet could not find instances of any on OneDrive (no errors), finished restoring 1020 to W8.1 and tried backup again, now shows on OneDrive, L830 still don't???

Could go on for days LOL so might as well stop there, as it stands now my experiences have lessened me as a WP fan especially after toying with my L1020 and W10M, every action seems to be met with a more than anticipated negative reaction, fully aware that nothing is perfect and do not expect such but this is just becoming ridiculous. No matter how many times I restore back to W8.1 the results are similar and gratifying other than the few features missed, with W10M it has be much of a hit-n-miss affair and anyone's guess as to what you will end up with, not buying the excuses now that it still in beta/preview mode cuz we are too far along in the game for that to be the case, in my opinion it still has an early release feel to it though.

Florin Musetoiu

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
These estimations may be surreal. What is important is the *actual* battery life. I mean, 3 days may collapse to 11 hours if you start to surf a little bit.

But all in all, excellent battery life on my 535 dual SIM and 640 LTE.

Ofc it will collapse, but in the past builds even if i wasn`t using my phone the battery was dead before the day`s end, now it holds up pretty good when in idle. This was what i was trying to test.

The king of idle is still iOS, it beats Android and WP at this...

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
These issues, especially about mails not syncing could be because these apps can't run in the background. Can you check your app permissions. Check for others and enable one at a time and see if it makes a difference

Have checked, and Outlook Mail/Calendar was not in the allowed background apps list, but adding it has made no difference, it still doesn't sync unless I manually force it. I don't think you need to add these apps to the allowed list normally, I'm sure I didn't need to do this on the previous build. I understand other non-essential apps need to be explicitly allowed, but Microsoft's own Mail app...

Saldatoccio

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Same screen blinking on my 830.

So I'm not alone... :confused:

Initially I updated my Lumia 830 from WP8.1 and I noticed that annoying "blinking" (and a couple of "auto-shutdowns") so I decided to perform a hard reset. The blinking re-appeared after re-installing *all* the apps (done automatically as part of the "fresh install" after resetting the phone), so I guess that it may be related to some legacy settings app (Display? Glance? Touch? ... ?).

Now I unistalled Display+Glance+Touch, let's see if that helps eliminating those "temporary blackouts".

Note: I reported it via Windows Feedback, so I'd suggest to upvote it

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Have checked, and Outlook Mail/Calendar was not in the allowed background apps list, but adding it has made no difference, it still doesn't sync unless I manually force it. I don't think you need to add these apps to the allowed list normally, I'm sure I didn't need to do this on the previous build. I understand other non-essential apps need to be explicitly allowed, but Microsoft's own Mail app...

What about sync settings in the app itself? And try different internet service

anon(5718954)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Jesus, how long does it take them to finally fix that annoying Store bug where the system apps fail to update? It seems to be working on some phones, but my 640 still gives me an error!

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
It's started working now, so it would seem that it is necessary to manually add Microsoft's own Mail app to the "allowed background tasks" in this current build. I'm sure I didn't have to do this in the previous build, and I hope the phones that have gone to retail don't have this issue. For anyone picking up a Windows phone for the first time and finding that notifications don't work properly and Mail doesn't get collected in the background (regardless of the Mail settings in the app itself), it will create a very negative first impression. It needs to work as the average Joe would expect it to straight out of the box, new users are not going to want to mess about like this, they will just return the phone and get something else.

I do actually like Windows Mobile 10, but I fear that it's not good enough for the masses, better to be late and working properly, than have new users have a negative experience, and then share that experience with their friends.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Just to be clear, upgrading from 10572 to 10586 without hard reset will mean I still have apps and no app update errors, right? I've not hard reset before, always upgrading with no hard reset or starting afresh from 8

Also, does lumia creative studio still work? Someone mentioned it failing

Lumia 1020 user

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
In my recent usage on a Lumia 920 it's honestly felt more or less the same to the 104XX build I was on previously. Groove Music is a little sharper but still stops for no reason with an error message, while Messaging still fails to load some conversations. Other apps work about as normal.

Not bad, not great. I'm finding it a bit hard to be excited to spend ?400+ on a phone with this OS though...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Battery drain...Noticed Sync my settings was enabled (did a hard reset but, restored settings)....Disabled trying but, Had my phone of the charger at 5:50am, it's almost 9, I would be at 65-75% nornally but, after this change, I am at 93%... :)

If your dealing with battery drain, try disabling Sync My Settings and reboot the phone...(also check apps that can run in the background) It seems to be enabled by default and in the builds has always been a battery drain ( Settings>Accounts>Sync your Settings)

Another note: I dont think the battery meeter is always accurate in this build, a few times my phone is reporting out of the blue low battery(under 10%) but, I plug it into a charger, in 20 min, it's at 100% (and lasts like a charged battery)....Even with a top of the line Quick charger cable, it still would take an hour + to do that...This is on an ICON/929

Anyone dealing with apps erroring out all the time when upgrading, try to reboot the phone and try again...something buggy in this build but, most of the time it fixes this.

Also, updates will error when you have already uninstalled the apps. For some reason (a bug?), it still tries to update/reinstall apps that you uninstalled...

Last edited:

OnealRich

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I tried installing this build on my 1520 and I've been unsuccessful everytime, and my phone goes into brick mode. Then i have to use the nokia recovery tool to get my phone working again. Each time I tried ran into the boot loop as they said might happen and when I follow the reboot procedure the phone just crashes, just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
Thanks

hamphlet

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Having had ongoing major problems with delayed Viber messages and notifications I finally gave my L930 one last chance and installed W10M 10586 on it. I'd tried the previous build on my old L920 and hadn't been convinced, but I was at the end of my tether and Android was looking seriously tempting. However, since the upgrade Viber hasn't missed a beat. All messages have arrived & have been notified straight away. Why is that? It's still the same Viber. Other than that I've been really impressed with this build. It feels like a definite step forward. Sure there are some wrinkles to be ironed out, but in the main it's going to be a big step forward for Windows Phone/Mobile. Only hope it hasn't come too late. My one big bugbear right now though is the swype/wordflow text entry. It's much less accurate than it was on WP8:shocked:

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I am anda I had to roll back w81, keep crushing after release 10586 was installed, I did a tool back and installed again but keep crushing for no reason at all. So Now I am on Windows 8.1 I need my phone so could t wait for a solution

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos