Windows 10 Mobile Insider Build 10586 Thread

R0bR

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
First time trying Insider on my 1020 and installed 10586 yesterday, took quite a while but everything came back up. Had the issues with certain system apps not updating but hitting refresh on those after a while got them going. Had issues with messaging initially, conversation history would take a long time to come up and trying to text was really delayed, almost unusable. Performance was a bit sluggish also but generally ok, had no comparison other than 8.1. In the process of trying to get my speech language installed for Cortana I ran the Insider app again and it said there was another update. Installed the update and reboot which brought me up to 10586.11 and everything was much better. Text messaging is not as fast as 8.1 but still much faster than before the last update, the Store comes up instantly which would take forever or crash before. Still need to test battery life, it seems to drain faster with normal use than it did with 8.1 but will need more time with it to get an overall impression.

So far everything looks good on my 1020, I'm not having any major issues yet but still testing.

Dushan Bogicevic

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have this build on a lumia 820? I am still reluctant to install it even it it's essentially the rtm, still hoping the official update is gonnna be more customised for each model and have less issues, but at this point i'm just very confused with what ms is doing. xD

Ky772

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Have a 1520 running 586.

Anyone having an issue with the wallpaper? I set a wallpaper for the entire screen but for some reason, it seems to zoom into one part of the picture instead of just using the entire picture.

Naren Parker

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I finally decided to take the plunge to upgrade to WM10 despite being a huge proponent of WP8.x just to try out what it feels like. The update process went fine on my Lumia 920 which earlier had WP 8.1 Update 2. There was severe lag when it first booted up. I could not properly even open basic apps like Phone or Messaging without significant lag. I had a backup anyways so did a hard reset and then things started to settle down. Here's my partial review after playing with it for 2 days -

1. There is a perceivable but not very evident lag, in the overall experience compared to WP 8.1. The irony is that individual apps open and resume almost instantly compared to earlier versions but the 'overall' experience still has a perceived lag. It could be due to the ageing processor of the 920 as well. Mind you that this update has a lot more features than WP 8.x ever had so older hardware do tend to feel a bit slow. But its not crippling as individual app experiences are better than the predecessor. May be a little fine tuning could be required for older hardware to cope up.
2. I so much liked the square contact cards and full screen "Calling" cards in 8.x and am utterly disappointed that the circles are more of a iOS/Android wannabe. I hope MS re-considers their design decisions in the future.
3. As pointed out by others in various threads, SMS restore is not complete. I understand that the system has changed to a conversational organization but a lot of SMSs from 2014-15 are still yet to be restored.
4. Speech input doesn't work on my 920. I tried installing new language packs, changing regions etc., but of no use. Calling mic is functional. I guess new firmware is needed to properly enable speech input. Even on my Windows 10 laptop, the inbuilt mic didn't work until I had installed updated drivers. They should release new firmware/drivers for older devices if they truly intend on supporting them.
5. Glance shows only the day but not the full date despite enabling the same in the settings. Could be driver/firmware related. They should update all the system apps to support Windows 10.
6. I am impressed with the actionable notifications. They make work so much convenient. Devs must update their apps to support this (I hope they don't delay given that new phones are launching). Notification centre could use some translucent effects though.
7. Battery drain was very high. This normally happens during the first few days of a new OS install so am holding my horses here. Will study thins over the next few days.
8. People app and Messaging apps open very slow. Facebook Beta (for Windows 10) takes forever to sync with People.
9. Phone gets a lot warm during normal use.
10. Haven't played any games yet. So can't comment on gaming performance.
11. I think Groove music is finally finding its well, groove :) The initial impression is far better than that of Xbox Music.
12. The vibra has stopped working. The 920 did have a peculiar problem wherein the vibra just doesn't work sometimes but if one tries to manually initiate using any of the system apps, it used to start working. That's not happening now in W10M. Again, could be driver related.

Overall, it's a worthy daily driver contender but is still not up there yet. Microsoft should finalize a suitable build candidate for devices other than the 950 series and bundle firmware updates as well along with it for the best experience. They should release it asap for Insiders and CV models so that many devices can be updated as fast as possible which would in turn provide incentive for developers to create/migrate their apps to the new OS. Would I go back to 8.1? Not right away. Would like to spend a few more days with it. But as of now, I would give it a 7/10.

Naren Parker

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Have a 1520 running 586.

Anyone having an issue with the wallpaper? I set a wallpaper for the entire screen but for some reason, it seems to zoom into one part of the picture instead of just using the entire picture.

I think the full screen option zooms the picture to expand the wallpaper across your Start screen and your installed apps screen. I agree that the depiction of it in the settings is misleading.

beyondinfinity

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Have a 1520 running 586.

It's supposed to be that way. It only uses a crop of the original image. In the settings you can select which portion by moving the crop around or even resizing it to zoom into the part you want. It does this to maintain the aspect ratio so the image looks good, otherwise if you used an incorrectly sized image on the whole screen it will look skewed.

glossywhite

Banned
Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
I cannot stress this enough, and it absolutely baffles me as to why people don't do this:

USE "TRANSFER MY DATA" TO BACKUP YOUR SMS AND MMS TO MICRO SD CARD - PROBLEM SOLVED.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
1. Stop shouting
2. Not every device has a microsd card slot
3. What about dual sim devices?

You may want to readjust your reaction as your solution is not universal.

Naren Parker

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
1. Stop shouting
2. Not every device has a microsd card slot
3. What about dual sim devices?

You may want to readjust your reaction as your solution is not universal.

Best way would be to use contacts+messaging system app. It can backup/restore data to/from a local folder. Re-install the app after upgrading. It might not show itself up in Settings right away but give it some time.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Naren Parker said:
Best way would be to use contacts+messaging system app. It can backup/restore data to/from a local folder. Re-install the app after upgrading. It might not show itself up in Settings right away but give it some time.

You're right, this works ALSO on SD-less devices. But it doesn't handle dual sim devices correctly (will restore everything on SIM1) ;)

Gaurav Vishal

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Impression from both Lumia 830 and 520 updated on slow ring.
1. The usability is good on Lumia 830. Lag on 520.
2. Restarts when I am trying to open multiple windows on 520.
3. Camera is quite good on both.
4. Windows store crashes on 830.
5. Lumia 520 experience is quite buggy, tolerable on 830. But still needs lot of improvements.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I cannot stress this enough, and it absolutely baffles me as to why people don't do this:

USE "TRANSFER MY DATA" TO BACKUP YOUR SMS AND MMS TO MICRO SD CARD - PROBLEM SOLVED.

Pardon me, maybe I'm too old, but I installed Transfer my data and the only option is transfer via BT, as 8.1: where is SD option???

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 830
Upgrade from 10581 was successful. I did not reset 10581, and that upgrade was from Windows 8.1 Denim.

* Still no apps listed that are compatible with Glance screen, including MSN Weather. I also have Amazing Weather HD, which works on the lock screen, but not Glance.
Mine is Lumia 830, mine always has glance on. I believe if you have an backup on the cloud, you may just do restoration when setting up,i got glance and glance background worked, of course , since the msn weather for win10m is different one to the wp8.1, it dosn't support glance and the lock screen, yet.

my motion data worked too, even though I kept get updating fail notification from store on the "new" motion data. But the "old" just worked fine for fitbits and Microsoft health.
And most of the apps can be restored from the backup too, of course I neve r use waze or wunderlist, so I dom't really know, but windows map pretty much do as the HERE map does now, and they use the same map data anyway.

Godson Arun Kumar

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
The OS stability has definitely improved over 10581. However apart from being just about good enough for daily tasks, gaming has taken a big hit on my phone (was also on 10581). Sure, it's only a 520, but apps such as AOE:CS which ran perfectly well on 8.1 installed on the SD card is now virtually unplayable with heavy lag even when installed on phone storage. I haven't done a hard reset yet. But having seen many posts where hard resets haven't really solved issues for people, I'm hesitant. Any body else seen AOE:CS performance on their phones gone to the dumps like me? Please share.

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I finally decided to take the plunge to upgrade to WM10 despite being a huge proponent of WP8.x just to try out what it feels like. The update process went fine on my Lumia 920 which earlier had WP 8.1 Update 2. There was severe lag when it first booted up. I could not properly even open basic apps like Phone or Messaging without significant lag. I had a backup anyways so did a hard reset and then things started to settle down. Here's my partial review after playing with it for 2 days -

1. There is a perceivable but not very evident lag, in the overall experience compared to WP 8.1. The irony is that individual apps open and resume almost instantly compared to earlier versions but the 'overall' experience still has a perceived lag. It could be due to the ageing processor of the 920 as well. Mind you that this update has a lot more features than WP 8.x ever had so older hardware do tend to feel a bit slow. But its not crippling as individual app experiences are better than the predecessor. May be a little fine tuning could be required for older hardware to cope up.
2. I so much liked the square contact cards and full screen "Calling" cards in 8.x and am utterly disappointed that the circles are more of a iOS/Android wannabe. I hope MS re-considers their design decisions in the future.
3. As pointed out by others in various threads, SMS restore is not complete. I understand that the system has changed to a conversational organization but a lot of SMSs from 2014-15 are still yet to be restored.
4. Speech input doesn't work on my 920. I tried installing new language packs, changing regions etc., but of no use. Calling mic is functional. I guess new firmware is needed to properly enable speech input. Even on my Windows 10 laptop, the inbuilt mic didn't work until I had installed updated drivers. They should release new firmware/drivers for older devices if they truly intend on supporting them.
5. Glance shows only the day but not the full date despite enabling the same in the settings. Could be driver/firmware related. They should update all the system apps to support Windows 10.
6. I am impressed with the actionable notifications. They make work so much convenient. Devs must update their apps to support this (I hope they don't delay given that new phones are launching). Notification centre could use some translucent effects though.
7. Battery drain was very high. This normally happens during the first few days of a new OS install so am holding my horses here. Will study thins over the next few days.
8. People app and Messaging apps open very slow. Facebook Beta (for Windows 10) takes forever to sync with People.
9. Phone gets a lot warm during normal use.
10. Haven't played any games yet. So can't comment on gaming performance.
11. I think Groove music is finally finding its well, groove :) The initial impression is far better than that of Xbox Music.
12. The vibra has stopped working. The 920 did have a peculiar problem wherein the vibra just doesn't work sometimes but if one tries to manually initiate using any of the system apps, it used to start working. That's not happening now in W10M. Again, could be driver related.

Overall, it's a worthy daily driver contender but is still not up there yet. Microsoft should finalize a suitable build candidate for devices other than the 950 series and bundle firmware updates as well along with it for the best experience. They should release it asap for Insiders and CV models so that many devices can be updated as fast as possible which would in turn provide incentive for developers to create/migrate their apps to the new OS. Would I go back to 8.1? Not right away. Would like to spend a few more days with it. But as of now, I would give it a 7/10.

I did the same for the first time upgrading my unlocked Rogers L920 from WP8.1.1 to WM10 build 10586. With a few minor apps not working after the upgrade, I did not have any other issues. The only thing that scared me was during the upgrade at "Migrating Your Data" the phone stuck at step 22 of 25 without anything on the progress bar for 10 minutes.I finally got tired and did a soft reset.The phone rebooted and came back with the "Migrating Your Data" screen step 1 of 3 and complete the process 2 minutes after that.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Running build 10586.11 on my L830, by no means is it horrible but when comparing it to W8.1 there is a considerable difference in performance and overall consistency in daily use, to me it does feel a tad too clunky...

2) Outlook Mail... Renders "some" mail better than W8.1 did and is easier to read
3) Edge Browser... In comparison to IE it performs faster (for me)
4) Bing Apps... Enjoying the changes made to news and weather (layout/appearance)
5) Settings Menu layout
6) Added tiles in Action Center
7) Office apps such as Word, Excel etc.
8) Battery performance, never seen it take a hit over stock OS

Dislikes:
1) Varying results in final outcome when upgrading/installing across same/similar devices
2) Inconsistencies in how the OS performs in daily use
3) The frequencies of hard resets, sure it can help but shouldn't always be a prerequisite to obtain a "reasonable" running OS
4) Outlook Mail... The "now" removal of linked inboxes
5) Hamburger Menus
6) Overall sluggishness of OS compared to W8.1 on older or lower spec'd hardware
7) Camera... Still lacking features and feels stark compared to W8.1s offering
8) Photo App... Clunky and unappealing, slower to display thumbnails
9) Store... Well what can I say, better than previous W10M builds yet still deplorable in my opinion, too many issues/inconsistencies
10) The occasional screen flicker/flash when transitioning, say, in or out of an app
11) Apps without the option for transparent tiles
12) How some apps lose features/functionality or are slower to open (I know, may not be optimized for W10M)
13) MSs mentality of dumbing down the OS or removing features then "to be added at a later date"... Soon!
14) MSs incremental updates that seen to do little to improves one's overall experience, lack of changelogs
15) MSs "we giveth, we taketh" approach

As for my L1020, was working ok on build 10581 and maybe even a tad better than my L830 did, upgraded to 10586 and suddenly things appeared to be on the decline :-(. phone became more sluggish, responsiveness to actions seemed to diminish as did the screens touch sensitivity. OK you say, lets do a hard reset and everything should be ticketyboo, haahahaha not by a longshot, the other idiosyncrasies still existed along with a few added just to spice things up, a weird one was on occasion is when I fired up the camera, a series of 15-20 icons which looks like the camera icon itself, would display/flash on the screen for a split second, store refuses to download some apps which upon investigating appears to be a known problem and the list goes on, needless to say I'm reverting back to W8.1 as this debacle (in opinion) is getting out of hand.

Think I found a bug and not sure if it may just be mine lol, whilst my L1020 was on build 10581 I did an backup of settings/apps and OneDrive indicated such, with both 830 and 1020 on build 10586 did same to each twice yet could not find instances of any on OneDrive (no errors), finished restoring 1020 to W8.1 and tried backup again, now shows on OneDrive, L830 still don't???

Could go on for days LOL so might as well stop there, as it stands now my experiences have lessened me as a WP fan especially after toying with my L1020 and W10M, every action seems to be met with a more than anticipated negative reaction, fully aware that nothing is perfect and do not expect such but this is just becoming ridiculous. No matter how many times I restore back to W8.1 the results are similar and gratifying other than the few features missed, with W10M it has be much of a hit-n-miss affair and anyone's guess as to what you will end up with, not buying the excuses now that it still in beta/preview mode cuz we are too far along in the game for that to be the case, in my opinion it still has an early release feel to it though.

Update Nov 25th... Reverted to my 1020 as W10M on my 830 is going south, something many have reported, screen goes black on occasion (not frozen) requiring a restart, apps and OS is gradually degrading in performance with things slowing or becoming sluggish, notification sounds differ from what was chosen (worked fine in beginning), thankfully W8.1 has been consistent in that department for me so we are not stuck... Getting close to walking that plank, just sayin ;-)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo