Cortana crashes on one contact W10M 10581

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 920, W10M 10581, fully up to date system (even the recent Insider update) and apps. And yes I did a hard reset after upgrading from 8.1 :)

For some reason, whenever I try to use Cortana to call or text my wife (whether I say "call/text my wife" or "call/text [her name]"), Cortana crashes. Only her contact, and only on W10M 10581. Works fine for all other contacts I've tested, with and without nicknames, and works fine on W10 10586 (which, I might add, sent a successful SMS via Cortana...the perfect send-SMS-from-a-computer implementation). Sometimes a soft reset has temporarily fixed the glitch, but not always. Anyone else seen this, or should I just wait for W10M 10586 and hope that fixes it? She's seriously the one contact I call/text all the time using Cortana, so this is slightly annoying.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps Cortana wants you for herself and doesn't want to share you with your wife? Haha! Yeah, peculiar how it messes up with ONLY that one contact.

More than likely, something about that contact in Cortana's system has gotten corrupted. Possibly didn't restore properly somehow. Digital corruption happens.

My recommendation is to "delete" the contact, then re-enter it and set it back up again from scratch. That includes having to set up the nickname again. That "should" fix the issue if it is a simple digital corruption.

If not, then it's probably an issue with Cortana's jealousy. Talk to Cortana and explain to her that you just want to be friends. Hopefully she won't email your wife a nasty message after that.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, probably how the contact ended up on the phone since it works fine on my desktop. Ugh. Thanks for the insight, especially into Cortana's jealousy...

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, for what it's worth, just to close out the thread, I updated to 10586, had the reboot loop issue, so I did a hard reset, then restore, and the problem is gone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs