Lumia Camera officially dead - Latest Lumia Camera update decomissions itself

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
For those of you still using Lumia Camera, do NOT get the latest update if you want to continue using it!

The latest update actually disables the app and redirects you to use Microsoft Camera.

wp_ss_20151116_0001.jpg

^^^This is all you get, with no other option other than to launch Microsoft Camera.

Problem is, Microsoft Camera isn't finished yet, nor is it up to par with Lumia Camera's features. On my 1520, with the latest version of Microsoft Camera, things are broken, like DNG (RAW) mode doesn't work. The 5MP and 16/19MP settings are backwards (yes, the 19MP setting saves a 1440x1080 image, while the 5MP setting saves a 2592x1936 image (@4:3 A/R)) and there are NO audio settings for surround sound etc in the app's video settings whatsoever, like there were in Lumia Camera.

I understand why they would discontinue the Lumia Camera app, but why neuter it? Why disable a perfectly functioning app for users that were happy with it? They could have just left it alone and not bothered updating it anymore, but no, they had to kill it and force everyone to use their lesser app.

Until they update Microsoft Camera, and fix everything, bringing it up to par with Lumia Camera feature wise and quality wise, I will not be happy. I'll be making a trip up to either our local Microsoft Store, or the AT&T store to look at the 950 once they're released to see if these issues are straightened out on the RTM build of Win10 Mobile and whatever version of MS Camera the have on them. This is strongly going to influence my next phone purchase decision...

I guess one alternative would be to roll back to WP8.1 if one really wanted Lumia Camera back.

Still can't believe they did this! Grrrrr (/MAD) :angry:

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I just received this update notification, but luckily both my unreliable Wi-Fi router (under $10) and my unreliable cellular data ISP (at least now they're unreliable) has been giving my store an error, preventing the actual update. I've been retrying for more than 10 times now, all have failed. Must be lucky that it has failed until now.

Here's what I have in Microsoft Camera (just "Camera):
1. There is no option to choose 5MP or highres (34 or 38MP), but all of the photos I've been taking are high resolution. The only option in this regard allows choosing between 4:3 or 16:9, both being high res. Hence I don't get a 5MP+[highres], just a highres shot.

2. Indeed, there are no options to toggle audio options. Back in Lumia Camera, Lumia 1020 had "Audio bass filter", which is missing in Camera.

3. Now, I can change the video settings (zoom, focus, white balance, exposure value) while shooting a video - this was not possible in Lumia Camera, so I think this is an improvement over LC.

4. The interface is very close to LC, and cleaner in my opinion. I must mention that I've set my display to 175%, which compressed everything displayed in my screen, even giving me an additional column in my L1020 (now up to four medium tiles or two wide tiles), so that could be the reason why the new interface is "cleaner" by being smaller because of my settings.

5. Camera launches faster than LC in Lumia 1020 - an improvement - from over 3 seconds to now "just" over 2 seconds. Still "slow", but faster.

6. Smart sequence is missing in Camera - not an improvement.

7. Pressing and holding on the shutter button to take a video straight from photo mode can be toggled in the settings - not possible in LC back in WP8.1. in L1020 - an improvement.

8. Videos in new Camera sometimes are "jumpy", probably in one out of twenty-three videos taken.

9. New Camera has "digital stabilization", useful for phones that don't have OIS. In my L1020, I don't notice anything different with this turned on or off since the L1020 has OIS.

10. I probably should have tabulated these items, grouping all the "improvements" and "not an improvement-s" together.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps some aspects of Microsoft's "Camera" app are an improvement for some phones yes, but I still don't see the reason for totally killing Lumia Camera for Win10 Mobile.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah...they shouldn't have killed LC yet. However, I'm using Microsoft Camera, so I don't really care. The biggest problem for me is the crappy image and video quality. I hope they fix those things soon. Did anyone of you make a suggestion in the Feedback app?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah...they shouldn't have killed LC yet. However, I'm using Microsoft Camera, so I don't really care. The biggest problem for me is the crappy image and video quality. I hope they fix those things soon. Did anyone of you make a suggestion in the Feedback app?

I have. I've offered suggestions, and also left "feedback" ;)

My biggest beef with it all is the "For all the great features you're used to and more..." part. It's not true!

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't jumped to W10M yet on my Lumia 1520 but it appears that even Lumia Camera Classic and Lumia Camera Beta have been pulled.
Sad especially the lost of Lumia Camera Classic.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have. I've offered suggestions, and also left "feedback" ;)

My biggest beef with it all is the "For all the great features you're used to and more..." part. It's not true!

Well...it does offer slow motion and native 4k capture. Also, I have all the features from before, except the audio thingy which is unimportant to me, I never really changed the bass levels.

Also, guess who's nearing their 1k posts mark!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ah.. I just figured out that Lumia Camera BETA still works! I went to the Store under "My Library" and found it in the list. Installed it and everything checks out!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Can you confirm this behaviour with lumia 1020?
Negative. You'd just have to look in the Store under "My Library" on your phone. I'm assuming that if one had the Lumia Camera Beta app before, then it should still be in the list and available to download and install.

"My Library" shows all of the apps/games that you've ever purchased with the Microsoft account that you're currently signed in with. They also have this list segregated into two groups; "apps that work on this device", and "apps that don't work on this device". On my 1520, Lumia Camera is now listed in the latter section.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Btw, if it helps anyone, the Lumia Camera Beta app that I have working on my 1520 is version 5.45.6000.0

Everything works perfectly, including RAW (DNG), Rich Capture, 4K video , and the audio settings for video (surround recording, bass frequency etc)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Btw, if it helps anyone, the Lumia Camera Beta app that I have working on my 1520 is version 5.45.6000.0

Everything works perfectly, including RAW (DNG), Rich Capture, 4K video , and the audio settings for video (surround recording, bass frequency etc)

I can't use lumia camera beta as it needs denim update which I've never received for lumia 1020

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
they are blocking the update for 1020 users so we can use it in the future instead of the crappy Windows Camera (it's only crappy on the 1020). you get an error if you want to update it on the 1020

Anamnesis

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
My 1020 received an update to Lumia Camera yesterday (v4.10.0.6) that killed the saving functionality... the camera loads, but no photos or videos would save. I restarted the phone twice and then uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it worked again, but not sure what the update was supposed to do?! I had Lumia Camera Beta installed too, but that has disappeared altogether and no longer appears in my apps list on the store either....wp_ss_20151118_0001.jpg

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
My 1020 received an update to Lumia Camera yesterday (v4.10.0.6) that killed the saving functionality... the camera loads, but no photos or videos would save. I restarted the phone twice and then uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it worked again, but not sure what the update was supposed to do?! I had Lumia Camera Beta installed too, but that has disappeared altogether and no longer appears in my apps list on the store either....View attachment 116576

You must still be on Windows Phone 8.1. The update was just general bug fixes for you.

On Windows 10 Mobile, the update disables Lumia Camera completely.

Anamnesis

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
You must still be on Windows Phone 8.1. The update was just general bug fixes for you.

On Windows 10 Mobile, the update disables Lumia Camera completely.

You are correct...that was a Windows 8.1 device...I have just installed the latest Windows 10 Preview on my other 1020 so I shall see what happens with Lumia Camera on that....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb