Has Anyone Reverted back to 8.1?

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking of reverting back to 8.1 on my 830 and trying Windows 10 at a latter time - although I believe 10586 is due out this week.
I just don't think the OS is going to get much better on the 830 than 10581 which is currently installed.

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Yup - I'm in the process of doing so. I'm not going back to 10 any time soon - I just hate what MS is doing here with the phone - 10 seems so amateurish and in-cohesive compared to 8.1

not to mention the bugs.. it's broken as heck on my 1520.3

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
People revert all the time! Ever since the Insider program started!

but this time I feel it's for good - I've seen enough of windows 10 mobile to know I don't like it in it's current form -I've lost interest in the 950xl as a result - I'm just going to keep my 1520.3 on 8.1

The only thing that will persuade me to move at this point is an intel phone that I can install windows applications onto and use .. I write, so having desktop scrivener on my phone at all times would be a good use case for me

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I've reverted back after trying each build since the beginning of the Insider Program for Windows 10 Mobile. I keep the build for a minimum of 3 days, and a maximum of 4 for every build up to 10581.

Since 10581, I don't even want to consider going back. I love it. It's every bit as smooth and responsive as 8.1 for me on my Lumia 640, and battery life is nearly the same as well. There are features in Windows 10 Mobile that I simply do not want to give up by going back to 8.1. Features like dictation everywhere I can type. I use that excessively as I am rarely in crowds, and it works very well for me.

Now with the TH2 release of Windows 10 on my Laptop, I'm loving the missed call notifications and being able to send texts through my phone. I can't do that with an 8.1 phone, and I really don't want to give it up at this point.

There are no bugs causing me issues on this build for my device. I don't have app crashes. I don't have loading and resuming issues as bad as on 8.1. I have access to a few apps that make a big difference for me that I can't get on 8.1, like the touch Office apps. I like the integration of Skype and Messaging. I like Groove music better than Xbox Music. I like the new Alarms app that includes the world clock, stopwatch, and timers. I love the new Outlook Mail and Calendar app. The new Mail now has linked inboxes. I'm happy, and it is so much easier to use in 10 than in 8.1.

There are a lot of things I like. While I feel I have had valid reason to revert every time before, things like show-stopper bugs for me, I am not experiencing that this time around on my device. The only issue I have is it doesn't show "storage space" properly, but that really doesn't make a difference for me at this time. I also know that Gabe has announced the next build has that fixed.

I for one am looking forward to the next build and further enhancements and stability it will bring, though 10581 is plenty stable enough for me at this point.

mnsiw

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Now with the TH2 release of Windows 10 on my Laptop, I'm loving the missed call notifications and being able to send texts through my phone. I can't do that with an 8.1 phone, and I really don't want to give it up at this point.

I love this feature too but waiting for an option to see incoming text on desktop so I don't have to pickup the phone to see replies.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I love this feature too but waiting for an option to see incoming text on desktop so I don't have to pickup the phone to see replies.

As are we all, which Microsoft is purportedly working on already. Hopefully Coming Soon[SUP]TM[/SUP].

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
As are we all, which Microsoft is purportedly working on already. Hopefully Coming Soon[SUP]TM[/SUP].

..fine ... except who uses text anymore? .. it's all Whatsapp and FB messenger these days :) - I hardly ever use SMS anymore - even for work, we use Slack to message

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
..fine ... except who uses text anymore? .. it's all Whatsapp and FB messenger these days :) - I hardly ever use SMS anymore - even for work, we use Slack to message

Okay, "As are some others of us." then. Just because you don't doesn't mean there aren't millions that do. I honestly don't know anyone personally that still doesn't text. Most people I know text a lot. And with unlimited texting being the norm on most plans, all the better.

FB messenger is for texting people that you don't want to have your phone number. I rarely use Facebook. Why would I use the messenger?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

All around Italy and other Eu countries, operators' plans got unlimited sms, they are still the main messaging system among adults :love:

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I have unlimited messaging too, but all my friends seem to use FB/WhatsApp for messaging - Texting became redundant a while ago, and I get that people still use it but it's slowly going away

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Yup - I'm in the process of doing so. I'm not going back to 10 any time soon - I just hate what MS is doing here with the phone - 10 seems so amateurish and in-cohesive compared to 8.1

Funny, because the few times I've had to roll back to 8.1 to install an update, amateurish and incohesive is what I feel about 8.1. Well, maybe not incohesive, but the 8.1 UI just feels dated.

As for the bugs, been running great on my 640 - mostly minor annoyances. Sorry you've had so much trouble.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm running an 830...

Prior to 10581, yep, I always reverted. Now, though, 581 is working great on my 830 and has been by daily driver since released. There are still bugs and issues, of course, but it's settled in nicely and even feels quicker than 8.1 in most areas.

That said, different strokes for different folks. I get that. I have no issue with Windows 10 Mobile and where they're going with it. There's still work to do and "RTM" certainly won't be the end of it.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I have been a big fan of the insider programme, but after much activity over the past few months, the brakes have suddenly been applied.

I have W10M on a 1320. Make the old girl feel fresh again, but, the niggly little bugs are starting to grind after 3 weeks. They aren't massive for me but annoying. Keyboard opens when I open messages and covers the bottom half of the screen....Cortana live tile doesn't update. Cortana text reading takes ages to open, a few UI niggles and my band has issues with Cortana as well. Notifications work well, but responding using speech on band results in constant 'just a sec'..

So yes, I'm going to roll back tonight, unless of course a new 10 comes out, but with Gabes 'vague' tweets I have a feeling it will be another week......

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Funny. With its bugs, useless and time spending animations, unable to do 2 tasks at the same time, and sometimes crashes, but...I feel it like a family guy. I can't reverse to 8.1.
I had it once for past build upgrade, I was so cold and sad... :unhappy:
I'm sure the final will be a must, even on entry level old half a giga lumias

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Arrrrgggghhhhh, rolled back, 20 mins later....Ye Gods it is so outdated. Simple things like settings in some kind of order. The start screen looks messy with the thick black borders etc... Still really good, responsive and easy to use, but 10 just feels more grown up, if you know what I mean. I'm gonna get arrested if I keep this flashing up!!!!!

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Okay, "As are some others of us." then. Just because you don't doesn't mean there aren't millions that do. I honestly don't know anyone personally that still doesn't text. Most people I know text a lot. And with unlimited texting being the norm on most plans, all the better.

FB messenger is for texting people that you don't want to have your phone number. I rarely use Facebook. Why would I use the messenger?

Smart phone? Texting? Waait waait? what do you mean?

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Facebook......a place where people struggle to differentiate between 'real' friends and acquaintances LOL.

I hate the damn thing, my kids love it, but then, I'd rather go down the pub and interact with real people;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb