10586 - What to do about all the apps that keep failing to update?

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
How is everyone getting rid of the app update reminders for the apps that fail to update?

I just installed the latest build on my 640 XL and did a hard reset, no restore, and there are like almost a dozen apps that say they have updates but fail to install. I click the X to remove them, but when I check for updates again they just come back and fail again.

I also have this issue on my 1520 after going to 10586 and doing a hard reset.

Last edited:

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Re: What to do about all the apps that keep failing to update?

Well, same thing with the new 10586 build after a hard reset lol.

Now what haha!

HERE Drive+
motion data
Network services
HERE Maps
Rate Your Device
Lumia Beamer
Extras & Info
Lumia Selfie
Lumia Storyteller
Lumia Creative Studio
Lumia Cinemagraph
Microsoft Photos plug-in (this one just keep installing over and over again)

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
...and why would MS include obsolete apps into a new ROM that will install on a hard reset? I'm not doing a restore of a backup, these are by default. All they have to do is remove the app then it will never look for these updates and fail.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, same thing with the new 10586 build after a hard reset lol.

Now what haha!

HERE Drive+
motion data
Network services
HERE Maps
Rate Your Device
Lumia Beamer
Extras & Info
Lumia Selfie
Lumia Storyteller
Lumia Creative Studio
Lumia Cinemagraph
Microsoft Photos plug-in (this one just keep installing over and over again)

Some of these apps have been discontinued and are no longer available in the store.

The Microsoft Photos plug-in gets updates fairly often, but it shouldn't be doing it all at once like that

Gabe has stated that this may be a store licensing server issue, and he is having the store team look into this issue.
https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/667104714882961409

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: What to do about all the apps that keep failing to update?

To get rid of this, you'll have to uninstall Lumia Moments.

Thx for this. ^^^^

I deleted all those apps. They're not really worth using and the constant updates will burn your data.

To delete Motion Data, you can go into your Storage settings and find it there and uninstall it from there. Same place you would go to move apps from phone to SD card. It may not show up under your list of installed apps.

EDIT: To ensure the phone recognizes that the apps are gone, you'll need to reboot your phone like I do on my 640XL.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
...and why would MS include obsolete apps into a new ROM that will install on a hard reset? I'm not doing a restore of a backup, these are by default. All they have to do is remove the app then it will never look for these updates and fail.

Someone else will need to explain the specifics as I'm not entirely sure of the technicalities, but...

Some apps are still carried over/linked to your carrier and actually aren't included by MS. Something in the firmware/code that tells the store to install them.

Example: My carriers account management app is always there after a hard-reset. There's no way MS is including that as a default app. There are others as well.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Someone else will need to explain the specifics as I'm not entirely sure of the technicalities, but...

Some apps are still carried over/linked to your carrier and actually aren't included by MS. Something in the firmware/code that tells the store to install them.

Example: My carriers account management app is always there after a hard-reset. There's no way MS is including that as a default app. There are others as well.

I guess that combined with the store licensing issues for the on-carrier stuff would account for it then. Makes sense.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
A few that were failing last night are succeeding today. I suspect Gabe's explanation is valid and these are being addressed at the store level.
Rate Your device, Motion Data, Glance Screen, Extras & Info, Here Maps, .............etc, all just succeeded for the very first time.
My Store Refresh is clean as a whistle!

Just goes to prove things folks are working on these things continuously. Even while we sleep.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb