So... do we stay in the fast channel or move down to the slow channel?

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I know some will stay in the fast to have the bleeding edge, which I will also do on 1 of my phones. But for my main phones, I'm thinking about going to the slow channel or removing Windows Insider.

What you guys who want more reliable devices doing now that we have crossed that threshold of builds?

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
As I've said in a previous post, I see very little benefit to the slow right now. The build there has usually been worse than what was on available on the fast-ring, and updates to the slow were few and far between.

Keep in mind that there is no true "RTM". The build that was just released is more a 950 shipping release than a global release. There are still issues they need work out.

Maybe in a few months the slow ring will have a use, but for now I think everyone is better served by the fast-ring.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Fair enough. But I think for my more important devices I'll stay slow, then only after reviewing the list of things broken in a given fast release, then I'll switch over to get it.

I've seen allot of fast release with MAJOR bugs after ones that were better and I'd hate to take 2 steps forward and 1 step back with a buggy release.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough. But I think for my more important devices I'll stay slow, then only after reviewing the list of things broken in a given fast release, then I'll switch over to get it.

Can't really argue with that...but, if you're going that route you'd be better off getting the build you want on those phones then removing Windows Insider all together. As I said, slow-ring really has no benefit at the moment....and may even be an annoyance in your case.

My two cents...

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Every time I accept a fast ring update I immediately switch back to the slow ring just in case. I do this on all my devices. Once a new build comes out I look at the forums/sites and see what the reaction is to the new build. If it is good, then I will switch back to the fast ring and get the update, then back to slow. I do not want to get into a situation where I have to reset the phone due to a build or update process issue.

I am 10586.11 on everything and everything is currently set for the slow ring after the update. With the phone build yesterday I waited a few hours to see what everyone thought before I updated.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Every time I accept a fast ring update I immediately switch back to the slow ring just in case. I do this on all my devices. Once a new build comes out I look at the forums/sites and see what the reaction is to the new build. If it is good, then I will switch back to the fast ring and get the update, then back to slow. I do not want to get into a situation where I have to reset the phone due to a build or update process issue.

I am 10586.11 on everything and everything is currently set for the slow ring after the update. With the phone build yesterday I waited a few hours to see what everyone thought before I updated.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Future builds won't be buggy (maybe sometimes, but that won't be too much), so I see no use of the slow ring now.

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Depends how adventurous you are. For us insiders we are now going into to testing for Redstone next, assuming redstone will apply to mobile as well as PC, so expect bugs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster