After 10586, to Remain or not to Remain - the Insider's Dilemma

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Alright, now that Windows 10 Mobile Build 10586 has been released to Insiders through Fast Ring, a few have been asking whether they should remain in the Insider loop or opt out. Here are some valid points:

- Remaining in the Insider Program allows us to receive the latest builds in our devices, but the well-known risk is in receiving potentially unstable builds.
- On the other hand, the chances of receiving a build more unstable than 10586 seems unlikely, considering the stability of 10581 compared to previous build versions.
- Then again, no matter how unlikely, there still could be a chance of receiving such a more unstable build - especially in the Fast Ring.

So, let's have a quick show of hands: how many of you are going to remain an Insider (for as long as the program exists)? Vote up, and leave a comment below, too!

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 1020 will soon be a spare device as soon as my 950XL gets here, so it and all my other devices will remain in the Insider fast ring.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with the 10586 build. As it is the same build that has been released to the "market" so to speak, it's quite stable and I think I'm going to "hang out here for a while."

I've unenrolled from the program, and will be watching new builds and see how they do. If there are new features that I like along with good stability, I may opt-in long enough to grab another build, but may wait until it has been made available for the slow ring.

I'll probably keep my backup phone in the fast-ring, though, just so I can continue to be an active Insider.

Albatross2

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm ready to back off from the bleeding edge into the slow ring for a while. Think of Slow Ring as Microsoft's way to distribute without carrier interference.

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
From my experience with the Windows 10 insider, staying on the fast ring is the way to getting a product.... I'll do the same thing with W10M....

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'll stay on as this is an exciting experience. Getting to test new features, trying out a new or update system and most of all a guaranteed method of receiving the latest OS update.
As of today, there are countries and phone models which have not received denim update. What are the chances of me getting Windows 10 officially released if I've not even received Denim? I'll probably have to wait a year or two for that

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Staying as an insider on fast-ring. I personally don't see any benefit to the Slow-ring...not the way MS has made use of it.

But, probably the best reason to remain an insider is this: The OS isn't done yet.

It's working great on my 830, but it doesn't quite feel like "general release" material. Not yet.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Will stay on fast ring, if there are no known big bugs in future releases. OS still feels incomplete and hope fast rings will bring some improvements.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Staying in fast ring as well. The OS is still pretty wonky even though it generally works. Definitely needs a lot more polish before I would consider it RTM so I'm thinking it will be released to the public with a fair amount of small bugs and it will take a couple of Insider builds before it gets its finishing touches.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
wasn't even thinking about that, but I might opt out, then after a new build comes up, I will read here whats up and decide whether I should get it or not

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
the OS isn't finished yet so why stick with 10586? Of course things will get better with each build. I'm waiting to see the next build even though I'm still on 10572 :smile:

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 1020, really like it, no issues for the way I use my phone, only thing I have noticed it graphics a little off,wonky.png so I will not gor back

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Wondering myself if I am going to roll back to 8.1 for now... I always like to leave Cortana on to get text messages, so when i am driving or sitting at my desk, I dont even have to look at my phone but, on 8.1, I was able to hit the power button to Mute her if she goes off. This took care of when I was around people, in a meeting or a quiet place.

From Windows 10 Mobile first builds, I have not been able to hit any buttons to MUTE her (can anyone ?), As I think about the feature set on Windows 10 Moblle, I like most of it, I like the customization I can do and for the most part features.

The day to day stuff, Windows Mobile 8.1 did just as good...blue-tooth notifications are better, and I can mute Cortana if I need to.

On Windows 10 Mobile, I have disabled Cortana annoucing texts because it's that much of a problem, Now I miss texts...

Thanks Microsoft for going backwards on one feature setting that is needed for some people....

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
None of the above... Sticking with W8.1 for now as I'm getting tired of seemingly constant reset, restore, reinstall saga, wouldn't be half bad if the "basics" such as phone, email, texting etc. were decent but in my experience they are not or at least not for a lengthy amount of time, couple that with an inconsistent, glitchy and buggy OS and it just becomes a recipe for disaster.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm back on 8.1 too after a week of W10. I'll wait a couple of builds before jumping on it again. They need to work more on optimization. It's a bit choppy at times (even on a 950 XL I tried in store yesterday, no smoother than my 1520 in operation), and after noticing how much better the battery life is on 8.1 I prefer to stay with it for the time being. 8.1 is a bit more unique experience that I appreciate. W10 is starting to feel more like Android/iOS. Which has both positives and negatives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa