SMS Syncing Fix for 10586.11

Sebastianx

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
After 3 hard resets from the latest build i already found a way to sync your messages again.
wp_ss_20151122_0001.jpg

Turn off 'Sync messages between device'
Restart your phone
Turn on 'Sync messages between device'. Hit download messages from anytime.
Turn on SMS delivery confirmation.

Then go to the messaging and see your sms sync again.

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
After 3 hard resets from the latest build i already found a way to sync your messages again.
View attachment 117148

Turn off 'Sync messages between device'
Restart your phone
Turn on 'Sync messages between device'. Hit download messages from anytime.
Turn on SMS delivery confirmation.

Then go to the messaging and see your sms sync again.
Why are my options under SMS/MMS completely different than what you show? Lumia 950 with build 10586.

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You messages app isn't updated. Visit Store -> hamburgher key -> my downloads -> search updates , and wait

According to the Store I have the latest update. Windows Messaging 1.11.19004.0.
Here's the funny part: I also have Windows 10 Mobile Build 10586 on my old Nokia Lumia 920. Windows Messaging on the 920, while it is the same version s Windows Messaging on the Lumia 950, does have the options you are showing in your screenshot.
As far as versions are concerned, as far as I can tell the difference is in the version of W10M (10.0.10586.11 on the Lumia 920 and 10.0.10586.0 on the Lumia 950).

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Fuzzy John, do you have all your messages on your 920? In other terms, is your issue :
a) not having messages back ONLY on the 950
b) or not having them on ALL of your W10M devices?

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Fuzzy John, do you have all your messages on your 920? In other terms, is your issue :
a) not having messages back ONLY on the 950
b) or not having them on ALL of your W10M devices?
As I am preparing to give the Lumia 920 away I did not attempt a restore with my account.
With that said, here is the history:
  • I migrated the Lumia 920 from WP 8.1 to W10M build 10549. All messages restored, at least as far as I can tell.
  • I migrated from build 10549 to 10572. I had no cellular data and WiFi was not accessible. I heard that this was an issue with phones that originally had WP8.0 and were later upgraded to WP 8.1. A device recovery to WP 8.1 was needed.
  • I did the device recovery to WP 8.1. I did not restore a previous WP 8.1 backup since I no longer had one. The last backup was made with build 10549 and I understood that the backups are not backwards compatible.
  • I migrated to W10M build 10572. Over a period of about 6 hours my messages were restored between Nov 9, 2012 and July 11, 2014. Over the next 6 days or so I got about 10 more messages restored between July 1 2014 and September 10, 2014. The big majority of messages in this time range were not restored.
  • I got the new Lumia 950. I got a few more messages restored (about an extra month - up to October 2014), but I am still missing messages between October 2014 and end of October 2015.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
OK, then try this.

I understand your 920 is about to be sold or given, so use it a last time like this :

a) Flash it under WP8.1 (WDRT)
b) You don't need to restore any backup. SMS restoration is independent. Just log into your MS account, say you start from scratch
c) Go to messages, settings, and enable "restore from anytime".
d) Go to settings, emails+accounts, and sync your main account as long as it says "not synced". This will force the sms to be restored
e) When you are sure that all your SMS are back, install windows insider app, and the latest build
f) once migrated, again, don't install or restore a backup, it's not needed. Go to the store, update all apps including messaging
g) in Messages, settings, disable/re enable sync across devices, anytime.
h) wait for a while
i) you need to let the app (messages) open, as it seems to sync when you open the app.
j) you could monitor on your 950 if new messages are coming back.

The whole idea is to restore all previous messages thanks to WP8.1, migrate them to the post 10572 standard, and once there, all your W10M devices should sync correctly.

I did the same and it worked. You mention 10549, but as I said on the "sms restore" thread, the new standard of message backup has been introduced with 10572.

You may notice that you'll have duplicates or triplicates for some messages, but at least you'll have them all.

The new standard seems to sync differently : you'll recover by thread (all your messages with contact X, then contact Y, etc.)

You'll see that the new W10M restoration is a lot faster than on WP8.1, but I had to "force the migration" by following the process mentioned above.

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
OK, then try this.

I understand your 920 is about to be sold or given, so use it a last time like this :

b) You don't need to restore any backup. SMS restoration is independent. Just log into your MS account, say you start from scratch
d) Go to settings, emails+accounts, and sync your main account as long as it says "not synced". This will force the sms to be restored
e) When you are sure that all your SMS are back, install windows insider app, and the latest build
f) once migrated, again, don't install or restore a backup, it's not needed. Go to the store, update all apps including messaging
h) wait for a while
i) you need to let the app (messages) open, as it seems to sync when you open the app.

The whole idea is to restore all previous messages thanks to WP8.1, migrate them to the post 10572 standard, and once there, all your W10M devices should sync correctly.

I did the same and it worked. You mention 10549, but as I said on the "sms restore" thread, the new standard of message backup has been introduced with 10572.

You may notice that you'll have duplicates or triplicates for some messages, but at least you'll have them all.

The new standard seems to sync differently : you'll recover by thread (all your messages with contact X, then contact Y, etc.)

You'll see that the new W10M restoration is a lot faster than on WP8.1, but I had to "force the migration" by following the process mentioned above.
Thank you. I am in the process of trying this. The texts downloaded up to Oct. 29, 2015 which is just about right. Now I am waiting for the media content to come in (into WP 8.1).
I'll update here once everything seems to be done.

8 Hours Later
Hmmmm... So far I can really see duplicates and triplicates. I can't say that new messages came in on the Lumia 950. I'll leave both phones with the Messaging app running overnight and see what mess I find in the morning. It looks like this didn't come out the way Microsoft intended. Or maybe it did.

Last edited:

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
OK, then try this.

h) wait for a while

Some 18 hours after I started this procedure... I got back a lot more messages than before. Still missing plenty. I cannot figure out a time range for the missing messages. Almost like they are at random.

Also, just about all messages before around August 2014 (going back to the beginning of the Lumia 920 on November 9, 2012) are at least duplicated. There are plenty triplicates and even quadruplicates. Having some time on my hands I went into several conversations on the Lumia 950 and I started deleting the duplicated messages. While doing this the 950 rebooted several times. I also noticed that some of the duplicates I am deleting seem to be coming back after a few hours.

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
This is something I disagree with... at least in my case. When I recovered the Lumia 920 to WP 8.1 it took no more than about 30 minutes to have the messages between November 2012 and November 2015 restored, including media content. Altogether the Lumia 950 with W10M took much, much longer and is not done yet.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
OK. But you need to let the 920 open (on messages) as it will be the one migrating all your messages from WP8.1 to W10M standard. I understand that you have ALL your messages on your 920 running W10M now ? (if some are missing, it means they were missing on WP8.1 too)

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
OK. But you need to let the 920 open (on messages) as it will be the one migrating all your messages from WP8.1 to W10M standard. I understand that you have ALL your messages on your 920 running W10M now ? (if some are missing, it means they were missing on WP8.1 too)
The 920 has the messaging app running. I even tuned the lockscreen off just in case. Messaging is in the foreground too.
Without an actual count, the 920 seems to have all messages up until October 30, 2015 when I went from built 10549 to build 10581. After upgrading the 920 to W10M from WP 8.1 yesterday, the 920 also got the messages I had after going to build 10581 and those that I had on the Lumia 950. The missing messages are on the 950 and they are from before the 920 went to W10M back in October. Right now I can see those messages on the 920 but not on the 950. Of course this is only a small set of messages that I am looking at to monitor the sync process. I guess the missing messages haven't synced yet.

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
The 920 has the messaging app running. I even tuned the lockscreen off just in case. Messaging is in the foreground too.
Without an actual count, the 920 seems to have all messages up until October 30, 2015 when I went from built 10549 to build 10581. After upgrading the 920 to W10M from WP 8.1 yesterday, the 920 also got the messages I had after going to build 10581 and those that I had on the Lumia 950. The missing messages are on the 950 and they are from before the 920 went to W10M back in October. Right now I can see those messages on the 920 but not on the 950. Of course this is only a small set of messages that I am looking at to monitor the sync process. I guess the missing messages haven't synced yet.
Looks like things have settled down. It took a long time to get the messages. Strange though that some of the duplicates are still coming back after deleting them.
I was on build 10581 on the Lumia 920 between Oct. 29 and Nov. 19. That should have been plenty of time for the messages to migrate to the post-10572 standard.
Thanks, msirapian for suggesting this path.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
So have you finally got all your messages on the 950?

As for the duplicates, now that your messages are migrated, you can start to delete some of them. After a hard reset, I've observed that deleted duplicates won't return. But for that, ALL of your devices have to be on a build >= 10572, I suppose.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, I'm now facing the same difficulties lol. Got my 950 2 days ago, messages are coming back very slowly, or not at all.

But then I turned on the 535 (already on 586.11) upgrade it to .29. It has also difficulties to get the missing messages (only a week, when the 950 has to retrieve 2 years).

Messages is now my first battery drainer, so i've turned sync off on the 950. When it's clear from the 535 that syncing works correctly, I'll switch it on on the 950 as well.

Servers seem to be a bit slow.

rocky459

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey , didn't worked for me. On 10586.164.

Any other workaround , to force the sync. It's not initiated yet , its been around 3 days , I performed a hard reset after upgrading to this build.

Thank You.

rocky459

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey , its set to 'anytime' , After an upgrade to the current build , i hard reset the device and it hasn't synced a message after that.

In Earlier build it too , it was slow but it was doing its thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05