10.0.10586.29 - here she comes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 640 LTE dual sim - After a bad experience of battery drain with 10581 which made me revert back to 8.1 (my fault not doing a hard reset), Installed 10586.29 last night. did a hard reset. Battery life is good as 8.1 for now (after all updates done via wifi and a full charge), smooth performance. no crashes.

But the camera quality is poor!!!!

hughjazz44

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I've noticed that Cortana will not play music by voice command. At least not in any intuitive or reliable way. In 8.1, I could simply say, "Play Mortal Kombat", and she would queue up the MK Theme song from my library. Now, in 10586.29, when I say the same thing, I get web search results. What's up with that???

hughjazz44

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Nevermind. I saw in another thread that Cortana only recognizes music on the phone and not on an SD card. Hopefully they fix that.

New issue: What exactly is considered "running in the background"? I disabled Groove as a background app, and yet music will continue to play when I open a new app. Wouldn't that be considered "running in the background"??? So what exactly did it disable?

Devan Hammack

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
One last try later tonight I guess, if it doesn't work I will buy my Nexus 5X this weekend. ...and although I do not like the flow or look of the Android OS I am otherwise good to jump ship.)

For this comment, I will reward you the "Moron of the day" title.
Seriously, why would you switch to something you already know you don't like?
Out of spite? Come on.. don't be so dumb

hughjazz44

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I'd just like to point out to everyone that installs 10586.29 on their phones that pretty much every core app (Microsoft made) will need an update immediately. After a fresh install, I checked the store for updates manually and everything had a new version (Calculator, Calendar, Photos, Groove, etc, etc, etc.). I'd ALSO like to point out that the phone seems to run better after updating everything. My battery life is still very sketchy, but it seemed to improve after updating everything and a soft reset.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I hard reset my phone and the good thing is I still was able to install lumia camera and other apps (lumia 1020)

The bad part is that my messages aren't restoring. How can I get the sms' back? I know this was a big issue at some point but I thought it would have been solved by now.

I've checked 3 threads but no concrete solution was forthcoming.

Any suggestions? I've switched on and off sync between devices and restarted phone a couple of times. Left the phone on wifi for at least 7 hours but not a single sms came back

Any help?

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I am currently doing mine as well, and its stuck in Chinese language. You have any idea how this happen?

Not a clue. Am sorry to hear things messed up. I think a hard reset would work fine. if you cant read Chinese stuff on settings page, use the key combination to hard reset.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The bad part is that my messages aren't restoring. How can I get the sms' back? I know this was a big issue at some point but I thought it would have been solved by now.

I've checked 3 threads but no concrete solution was forthcoming.

Any suggestions? I've switched on and off sync between devices and restarted phone a couple of times. Left the phone on wifi for at least 7 hours but not a single sms came back

Any help?

We had the same trouble between 10549 and 10572/above. But now it seems a bit different.

Last Thursday, I received my 950, so .29 wasn't out for any device, and the 950 had difficulties to restore SMS.

Then when .29 was out, I turned on my 535 (already running .11) but which was switched off for a week. It didn't restore the missing week.

Since then my main 640 and 535 are on .29. I've hard reset the 535, there are still missing messages. You can force the download by changing the period (month, year, all time) but it seems the backend has changed. When I receive or send an email to a contact, these last SMS are synced. But it's not systematic and sometimes, I have to wait for the next day to see the most recent SMS synced.

Now my take on this is: they're changing something server side. After the latest update on PC, I went to Messages (on PC), and in the search box, wrote "of", or "your" (short terms). Then I saw a lot of my SMS! Not Skype messages, but SMS!! Clicking on them fails to open the conversation and app crashes.

But I think Microsoft is bringing SMS writing directly from the app (and not through Cortana only) and *maybe* that's why we have glitches on mobile.

Somehow, these messages are not lost even if they don't restore instantly.

I'm waiting for a Messaging+Skype app update, to be honest, to solve this issue, if my guess on a big change is right.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
We had the same trouble between 10549 and 10572/above. But now it seems a bit different.

Last Thursday, I received my 950, so .29 wasn't out for any device, and the 950 had difficulties to restore SMS.

Then when .29 was out, I turned on my 535 (already running .11) but which was switched off for a week. It didn't restore the missing week.

Since then my main 640 and 535 are on .29. I've hard reset the 535, there are still missing messages. You can force the download by changing the period (month, year, all time) but it seems the backend has changed. When I receive or send an email to a contact, these last SMS are synced. But it's not systematic and sometimes, I have to wait for the next day to see the most recent SMS synced.

Now my take on this is: they're changing something server side. After the latest update on PC, I went to Messages (on PC), and in the search box, wrote "of", or "your" (short terms). Then I saw a lot of my SMS! Not Skype messages, but SMS!! Clicking on them fails to open the conversation and app crashes.

But I think Microsoft is bringing SMS writing directly from the app (and not through Cortana only) and *maybe* that's why we have glitches on mobile.

Somehow, these messages are not lost even if they don't restore instantly.

I'm waiting for a Messaging+Skype app update, to be honest, to solve this issue, if my guess on a big change is right.

I could try hard resetting today and restoring from backup. Maybe that could work. I won't lose anything except sleep.

However you have a valid point where they could be changing something on their side hence the issues with restoring messages. My contacts came through instantly without using any backup

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Another point I've observed two days ago when I hard reset the 535: Skype contacts took 24 hours to populate People Hub. I only have 8 Skype-Contacts, but Messaging+Skype took at least 24h to retrieve all of them. In the meanwhile, messages were coming back, but not attributed to the "merged" contact (outlook+messaging). Once Skype contacts were back,they merged automatically, etc.

But still, I have some missing messages, from late November to early Dec, not restoring.

That's why I won't reset my 640 (daily driver) until a fix is found or at least the situation is stabilised. The signal would be an updated Messaging App. All stock apps have been updated after .29, including Phone app jumping to a 2.XXX version branch.

The Messaging app hasn't been updated yet.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Another point I've observed two days ago when I hard reset the 535: Skype contacts took 24 hours to populate People Hub. I only have 8 Skype-Contacts, but Messaging+Skype took at least 24h to retrieve all of them. In the meanwhile, messages were coming back, but not attributed to the "merged" contact (outlook+messaging). Once Skype contacts were back,they merged automatically, etc.

But still, I have some missing messages, from late November to early Dec, not restoring.

That's why I won't reset my 640 (daily driver) until a fix is found or at least the situation is stabilised. The signal would be an updated Messaging App. All stock apps have been updated after .29, including Phone app jumping to a 2.XXX version branch.

The Messaging app hasn't been updated yet.

After doing the hard reset and discovering that the lumia camera, here maps apps can still be downloaded gives me reason to hard reset. I've discovered that battery life is better, storage is more, I could remove unwanted apps like podcasts and experience/feel is just as good.

Fred Shumacher

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
With previous OS version (prior to this .29) my Lumia 950XL hailed about storage Space not being sufficient (device=23GB free, SD=40GB free). By Factory resetting, Flashing to .29, factory resetting, restoring OS seems to be healthy.

ilgulamc

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
lumia 720. yesterday my phone downloaded some language pack update. the phone did all the install thing rebooted and wow! I don't know what happened but now the phone is pretty fast, almost like it used to be on wp8.1!!! really good work MS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb