New features in WM10 that we don't talk about enough

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Reading through the forums and other blogs or sites, one gets the general feeling that a lot of users and non users of WM10 have issues with WM10 and want new features or capabilities like 10 day battery life or a portable disco in their phone or ability to develop apps from their phone using continuum.

I'm starting off a list of things I like about WM10 that isn't available in WP8.1 cyan (can't say denim since I didn't get that update )

• Full action center as opposed to 4 items in WP8.1
  • Enable cellular data from action center
  • Flashlight from action center
  • Disable/enable wifi from action center
  • I can select all kinds of files in photos app, including videos. In WP8.1 I couldn't select multiple video files to delete but now I can
  • Clean and tighter tiles layout- smaller tiles, smaller text
  • Ability to reply to texts from action center
  • Semi- transparent tiles, background image for apps list
  • Cursorin keyboard, nice addition
  • Regular app updates for core apps
  • Great email client experience - reading emails on the phone is now just as great as on pc browser
  • Email client can sync emails on 2G network
  • App folders on start screen
  • Great office mobile experience
  • Better video app
  • Better music app
  • Manually change video recording settings like focus and exposure while recording

Features mentioned in the posts below, thank you guys for the information

• Text search in apps list and settings
  • More codecs in video player
  • W10M has voice to text everywhere
  • More keyboards/language support
  • Lumia Selfie and Camera now support selfie sticks
  • Email can now attach different type of files
  • 3 keyboard sizes for large phones
  • swipe emails away to delete them
  • Windows 10 Mobile Device Portal
  • WiFi printing

I meant this post to compare WM10 and WP8.1 cyan. I did not want this post to be about what the OS is lacking, we have more than enough posts on that. This is about appreciating the actual changes that have happened since WP8.1.

There are features that have been introduced that some of us don't know about. Let's share them with the rest. But kindly refrain from posting about shortcomings of the OS. They will always be there as one can not satisfy every user 100%.

Write something that you like or believe is a great feature that has been added, but don't write about what is not there.

Thank you

Last edited:

Technoloay

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
This mainly happened because of more open APIs in W10M:
* Apps like TrueCaller can actually work upon incoming calls (I recently found out).

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Finally a thumbs up weening-free post:

Text search in apps list and settings; i pushed feedbacks to have the same one on W10 desktop without calling Cortana every time

fahadaslam2000

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Enabling Mobile data, app folders, more codecs in video player were available since WP8.1.2 Denim

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Stock apps like Calculator and Alarm & Clocks with these there is less (no) need to get a 3th party app.
More API which make it possible to get apps like "Wifi Analyzer".
Much more keyboards/language support.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This mainly happened because of more open APIs in W10M:
* Apps like TrueCaller can actually work upon incoming calls (I recently found out).

Oh, that's what that is.... I had it installed...forgot I installed it... When a call came it showed CID info even if it was not in my contacts.... I hard reset and I didn't reinstall it, thought it was a 10 feature...going to re-install that right now...Thx :)

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Here is one which very few people know:
Press Volume up and down simultaneously for three times and it will force close the app. But it works only when an app has been crashed so that you don't have to soft reset.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If it wasn't for Microsoft's signature incompetence, all the so called "new" features in W10M would have been added to WP8.1. Remember they actually started the decoupling of core features into standalone apps there (Xbox Music, Video) but due to their laziness never actually followed through on the promise they made of making them good apps, abandoning them after a while to work on Windows 10.

The only true feature W10M has over its predecessors is the true shared core with the desktop OS, everything else could (and should) have been added to WP. If it had Microsoft's mobile platform wouldn't be languishing with less than 3% marketshare....

And sorry, adding the Flashlight to the action center is truly not a feature to brag about.

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If it wasn't for Microsoft's signature incompetence, all the so called "new" features in W10M would have been added to WP8.1. Remember they actually started the decoupling of core features into standalone apps there (Xbox Music, Video) but due to their laziness never actually followed through on the promise they made of making them good apps, abandoning them after a while to work on Windows 10.

The only true feature W10M has over its predecessors is the true shared core with the desktop OS, everything else could (and should) have been added to WP. If it had Microsoft's mobile platform wouldn't be languishing with less than 3% marketshare....

And sorry, adding the Flashlight to the action center is truly not a feature to brag about.

That's right. Fanboys will still argue though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)