I'm pretty sure this is the right forum, if not a mod can move it.

It was reported around 2 weeks ago that there was a lucky group of Insiders, who after completing a survey, was being sent letters about getting a care package from MS full of hardware to provide feedback, specifically for Continuum.

Well mine arrived yesterday! As stated in the leaked letter, I received a 950 or a 950XL, MS Display Dock and Actiontec wireless adapter. What wasn't specified was there would also be a 6 page device evaluation agreement. While there is no NDA on telling the public that we received the packages (they're asking us to give feedback in the public Insider forum), there is an NDA on the contents of the agreement itself and on which Lumia I actually received.

Not as exciting as being given free stuff and being able to talk about it freely, but this is a business and I understand. Just know I'll have to keep my One up to date and close.

I can tell you (and they encourage us to) that using the wireless adapter to use continuum on my TV is pretty insane!
    12-27-2015 11:36 AM
    One thing that wasn't entirely clear, or if it was I missed it - Do you get to keep the hardware you're sent? Or does it need to be returned to them at a later date?
    12-27-2015 12:54 PM
    One thing that wasn't entirely clear, or if it was I missed it - Do you get to keep the hardware you're sent? Or does it need to be returned to them at a later date?
    Another thing, is that the survey for 950 prize? The one they send mails like "We apologize, you have not won anything of our prizes" ?
    12-27-2015 12:58 PM
    I hope this doesn't break NDA but no I don't get to keep it. Everything will have to go back eventually.
    12-27-2015 01:35 PM
    Another thing, is that the survey for 950 prize? The one they send mails like "We apologize, you have not won anything of our prizes" ?
    Nope, it was the survey for Insiders from earlier in November who "provide exceptional feedback".
    12-27-2015 01:50 PM
    Nope, it was the survey for Insiders from earlier in November who "provide exceptional feedback".
    You're lucky, wish i had joined the insider program earlier
    12-29-2015 03:49 AM

I can tell you (and they encourage us to) that using the wireless adapter to use continuum on my TV is pretty insane!
    How does the Actiontec wireless adapter differ in tech vs. the MS wireless display adapter? I ask because i have the MS wireless display adapter and using continuum with it, while it works for simple things like working with office, it really sucks playing music or watching movies. Sound is metallic and hollow when playing music, and watching movies is big no-show because of the crappy framerefresh rate.

I wonder if the actiontec is better. If it is I'll buy it, but I need to know :)
    12-29-2015 03:55 AM
    Lucky you! It's unfortunate that you don't get to keep the device, but you've already been chosen by Microsoft to test them, so I guess that's alright, eh?
    cannon#WP likes this.
    12-29-2015 08:18 AM
    I have tested a few things from Microsoft in the past....many years...all under NDA so I could tell you what I tested but, I would have to kill you :)

When it's a active test, it's really fun....it's been a while tho..
    cannon#WP likes this.
    12-29-2015 08:56 AM
    I hope this doesn't break NDA but no I don't get to keep it. Everything will have to go back eventually.
    you just told us about one part of the contents of the agreement. thats breaking the NDA for certain.

as somebody that has worked in legal IT and has been under mountains of nda's... this is my own rule. if i'm even slightly unsure if it breaks the NDA, I keep my mouth shut.
    cannon#WP likes this.
    12-29-2015 10:31 AM
    How does the Actiontec wireless adapter differ in tech vs. the MS wireless display adapter? I ask because i have the MS wireless display adapter and using continuum with it, while it works for simple things like working with office, it really sucks playing music or watching movies. Sound is metallic and hollow when playing music, and watching movies is big no-show because of the crappy framerefresh rate.

I wonder if the actiontec is better. If it is I'll buy it, but I need to know :)
    I've never used the MS wireless adapter so I can't compare, but my experience with the actiontec adapter is a good one. I have the display dock fairly close to the adapter so there's not TOO much lag in Continuum. It's definitely noticeable when using two finger scrolling but as far as opening Edge and watching YouTube videos (and going full screen) it's pretty amazing to see and the sound was full.

However, I did have the experience you're talking about when I connected my Surface Book to the actiontec to do straight on projection. Plenty of lag and frame refresh was kind of slow. It just couldn't keep up with what I was doing. I also connected my One to it and since the One can't do Continuum, it did much better since there's not a lot to render.

So Continuum - really good; phone projection - nice; laptop projection - needs work.
    12-29-2015 11:05 AM
    Thanks. Guess I'll just use my dock for now, but I really would love to stream hd movies wireless to my TV. I hope MS would make some kind of DIAL device or software, like Chromecast, and integrate it with the dock. For only purpose of casting media. That would be awesome.
    12-29-2015 11:22 AM
    you just told us about one part of the contents of the agreement. thats breaking the NDA for certain.

as somebody that has worked in legal IT and has been under mountains of nda's... this is my own rule. if i'm even slightly unsure if it breaks the NDA, I keep my mouth shut.
    I figured I was toeing the line as I haven't divulged the specifics or exact wording of the contents, but you're right. I should exercise more caution.
    12-29-2015 11:24 AM
    Thanks. Guess I'll just use my dock for now, but I really would love to stream hd movies wireless to my TV. I hope MS would make some kind of DIAL device or software, like Chromecast, and integrate it with the dock. For only purpose of casting media. That would be awesome.
    Actually, I have used Edge on my SB to cast media directly to my Bravia (2014 model) and that works reasonably well. Controlling (pause, rewind, ff) is a bit janky but the sound is perfect and there's no problems with lag.
    12-29-2015 11:27 AM